The Joyless Triumph of Nick Saban (Finebaum book excerpt)

Capstone46

1st Team
Jun 5, 2000
Great read. I have always thought Finebaum was brilliant and a brilliant writer. He is far more than just an agitator.

JD95

All-American
Oct 18, 1999
Birmingham, AL
I like it. Although Finebaum says Saban is not chasing Bryant's 6 national titles, I think that's a motivator for him. I think he's got a couple more in him before he decides to take a rest!

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL
Not a bad read.

Linkage.

that's the real shame of Finebaum's radio "show": the man is a journalist at heart. He can write, and write well. I LOVED his columns and all the stuff he used to do for the newspapers. He's wasting his talent on that cess pool of humanity now. Would give anything for him to cancel it, and go back to full time writing.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
I like it. Although Finebaum says Saban is not chasing Bryant's 6 national titles, I think that's a motivator for him. I think he's got a couple more in him before he decides to take a rest!
Don't know how true it is (and if this is rumor-mongering, Mods feel free to delete) but I've heard that at least at one point he did indeed state his intention to win 7 titles at Alabama before he hung it up.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
that's the real shame of Finebaum's radio "show": the man is a journalist at heart. He can write, and write well. I LOVED his columns and all the stuff he used to do for the newspapers. He's wasting his talent on that cess pool of humanity now. Would give anything for him to cancel it, and go back to full time writing.
Well, there's a problem. The journalism industry provides no money. Paul cashed a big check when he signed with ESPN and the SEC Network.

wishbonedays

1st Team
Mar 30, 2003
Hanceville, AL, USA
www.wfl1974.com
I agree...Paul's talents sort of lay dormant most of the time...its sort of like having James Taylor play & sing to an overcrowded, out-of-control daycare.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Very good article. Highlights:

"He could coach a lingerie football team to the Big Ten championship game."
hahaha

"Auburn fans are different. Auburn fans usually have a direct connection to the school, whereas Alabama fans don't necessarily have blood ties or lambskin degrees. Auburn fans attended school there, or their relatives did, or they have a fondness for the underdog. Those who follow Auburn prefer to be called part of the Auburn "family," and the clichéd way to refer to members of that Auburn family is to say they have a chip on their shoulder, that they want Auburn to be Alabama when the program grows up. That's wrong. Auburn folks are actually proud of that chip—proud that they're not Alabama. They embrace their uniqueness. I think they even embrace their inferiority."
Accurately described. "A fondness for the underdog" -- explains alot Barn fans.

Bryant has two more national championships. Saban coaches in a football world far more competitive, complex and difficult than the world Bryant's teams dominated. When Bryant coached, you could win a national title without playing a bowl game against one of the top-five teams in the country. Saban's four national championships have come against No. 1 Oklahoma, No. 2 Texas, No. 1 LSU and No. 1 (cough, cough) Notre Dame. Bryant's teams played 12 games max, including a bowl. Saban's teams have played as many as 14 games in a season four different times. Bryant had more scholarships to work with. He never had to play Auburn at Auburn. He never had to survive an SEC championship game.
Some pretty powerful info. Honestly, that changes my perspective a little on this debate.

Capstone46

1st Team
Jun 5, 2000
I don't dispute Paul's judgement about the differences of the game today and the way it was when Coach Bryant coached. I can even understand his comparison of Coach Bryant and CNS. The players today are much stronger, faster, bigger and there are more of them than when Coach Bryant coached. Standing on the sidelines is like changing a flat tire on the interstate when an 18 wheeler goes by. However, I believe Coach Bryant would have adapted and adjusted. He would have applied the same principles that won in his day to today's game. Coach Bryant coaching at Alabama against CNS coaching at Alabama is interesting conversation....but who knows how it would have turned out.
The same scenario exists in golf. Tiger Woods against Jack Nicklaus. However, I would take Nicklaus every time. Lol

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Well, there's a problem. The journalism industry provides no money. Paul cashed a big check when he signed with ESPN and the SEC Network.
The paper for which he once wrote is now out of business and the other major paper in Birmingham (along with Huntsville and Mobile) are now printed three days a week. They can not afford to pay someone to just write a column.

I used to enjoy reading editorial columns from sports, politics and humor, but with dwindling circulation it would be hard to break into that line of work today.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.