Wednesday August 6 Practices Updates

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The team has a morning and afternoon practice today. Saban won't speak to the media until Thursday, though.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
No explanation as to why just yet, but A'Shawn is absent from practice this morning. I haven't seen anything to indicate an injury or punishment, either.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Thanks, as always, 91!

A quick question re one of our guys...

Any word on how Raheem Falkins is doing?

Just watched CNS's presser from the first full day with pads, and when asked about the younger receivers, Falkins name wasn't mentioned, plus I'm just not hearing the guy's mentioned in any of the discussions surrounding the team...

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Think he is generally doing well, but buried on the depth chart. Barring injuries, a lot of these younger guys might not get on the field a great deal until 2015, after Cooper, White, and Jones have all departed.

FWIW, Foster and Black face the same basic issues, too. Just a very deep WR corps at the moment, and having a pass catching threat like Howard at TE / H-back only further narrows the opportunities for those guys (and, hopefully, Flournoy-Smith too). Ditto for the fact that we routinely work our tailbacks into the passing game as well. At some point there just isn't a lot of room for snaps, and even when you get on the field there just aren't a lot of balls coming your way.

Going to be a totally different deal next season, though.

Last edited:

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Thanks, as always, 91!

A quick question re one of our guys...

Just watched CNS's presser from the first full day with pads, and when asked about the younger receivers, Falkins name wasn't mentioned, plus I'm just not hearing the guy's mentioned in any of the discussions surrounding the team...
CNS mentioned Black, Stewart and Robert Foster as young WRs really stepping up during Fall practice thus far and had high praise for Cooper, White, and Jones as leaders in this amazing WR corp. Falkins as far as I know has been doing well but there is just too much talent in front of him at the moment.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Saw some good video of the quarterbacks throwing. I continue to have issue with Sim's release point which is low. Unless he's dropping way back he could have a lot of batted passes which often end up in the wrong hands. Alec Morris is a bit low as well. Coker, Bateman and Cornwell all looked good. I guess the difference will be who can make the right calls under center.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I continue to have issue with Sim's release point which is low. Unless he's dropping way back he could have a lot of batted passes which often end up in the wrong hands.
I don't see anything particularly low about Sims' release point itself, but obviously when your QB is only 6'0 the ball is going to come out pretty low regardless of mechanics. It's certainly a valid concern, but it is what it is, and you take a player as you find him.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I don't see anything particularly low about Sims' release point itself, but obviously when your QB is only 6'0 the ball is going to come out pretty low regardless of mechanics. It's certainly a valid concern, but it is what it is, and you take a player as you find him.

Troy Smith (tOsu) was a short guy who made it work for him pretty well.

shottistyeti

Scout Team
Dec 10, 2006
According to 740 AM in Montgomery just now, Robinson has a "minor injury that may cause him to miss a couple of practices". No details provided.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
From AlabamaIntel's Drew DeArmond:

@DrewDALIntel BREAKING: Per my best source, DL A'Shawn Robinson missed the workout this morning due to having a minor injury checked out; not serious

@DrewDALIntel A'Shawn should be ready for the season opener vs. WVU; should only miss a few practices

@DrewDALIntel Further word: A'Shawn Robinson got rolled up yesterday in practice; was a knee or ankle; very fortunate it was not more severe!

@DrewDALIntel Clarification on A'Shawn Robinson: Confirmed now: knee; ACL was first feared; further evaluation: sprained MCL

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
From AlabamaIntel's Drew DeArmond:

@DrewDALIntel BREAKING: Per my best source, DL A'Shawn Robinson missed the workout this morning due to having a minor injury checked out; not serious

@DrewDALIntel A'Shawn should be ready for the season opener vs. WVU; should only miss a few practices

@DrewDALIntel Further word: A'Shawn Robinson got rolled up yesterday in practice; was a knee or ankle; very fortunate it was not more severe!

@DrewDALIntel Clarification on A'Shawn Robinson: Confirmed now: knee; ACL was first feared; further evaluation: sprained MCL

Wow, looks like he and we dodged a bullet there. He would be a tremendous loss.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Until he landed in Montreal...
Try Glendale:

In fairness, though, he had a very strong senior year at QB, and frankly did it at a time when the B1G was a pretty respectable conference, not the compilation of speed bumps that it has become. If we get anything out of Sims this season like Ohio State got out of Smith in '06, I'm sure everyone will be very happy.

Attachments

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
During both practices yesterday, the ILB pairings went like this:

1's: Reggie Ragland and Shaun Dion-Hamilton
2's: Trey DePriest and Reuben Foster

Highly doubtful SDH has jumped Trey and Reuben. Does suggest, however, that SDH will be in the mix for playing time this season.

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
During both practices yesterday, the ILB pairings went like this:

1's: Reggie Ragland and Shaun Dion-Hamilton
2's: Trey DePriest and Reuben Foster

Highly doubtful SDH has jumped Trey and Reuben. Does suggest, however, that SDH will be in the mix for playing time this season.
Was SDH one of the guys who went through Spring drills?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.