NCAA Board Approves Autonomy - Power 5 Conferences Get More Power

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Story

The Division I Board of Directors today restructured how schools and conferences will govern themselves, paving the way for student-athletes to have a voice – and a vote – at every level of decision-making.

The 16-2 vote adopted the updated Division I model that was released to the membership last month. Board members changed little from that proposal, only reducing the number of conferences required to sponsor a proposal within the group of five conferences from three to one (what is currently required to sponsor Division I legislation). Any amendment is subject to approval by a five-conference presidential group before consideration by the full voting group. The steering committee, which will continue as a transition committee, indicated it was open to tweaks over the next year.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Finally the NCAA is proactive.
No, this was as reactive as it gets - the NCAA only did this because Slive and the other commissioners made it crystal clear that if the NCAA didn't do this, they would all leave sand start their own system and the NCAA's cash cow would be gone forever.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
As our good buddy Clay Travis noted on the JOX Roundtable earlier today, once the SEC Network kicks into high gear, athletic dept. revenue for each school is likely to double, which would put us and Florida in the same league as Texas as the biggest (and by biggest, I mean biggest checkbooks) athletic departments in the country

Edit: Of note, 15 current student-athletes will help make up the panel. Areas where the Power 5 will set their own rules include: hours per week dedicated to a given sport, coaching and support staff size [pretty sure someone is gonna complain about the size of ours. They already have been. Says it's too large] and travel allowances for student-athlete family members to attend postseason games and official visits.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm not sure if this is good or bad for CFB, but I am certain that some of the rules that have been inlace to 'level the playing filed' so that startups and small schools can compete should go away. So while there are certain to be unintended consequences from this, I think in the long run it has the potential to be better for the schools that wish to separate themselves from the rest of the pack.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I love Alabama with every fiber of my being, but I am becoming disillusioned with the college football world we live in today. Athletes are spoiled in every way possible so lets give them more. They get an education for free( If they choose to use it). Ask anyone who had to pay for their own way or for their kids education, that is nothing to sneeze at. Most kids who are on a scholarship already get their tuition, books, food and lodging and as well as a monthly stipend. On top of that there is a large number of them that get a pell grant as well so lets stop the poor little student athlete mantra ESPN is selling. It is time we make these kids amateurs again, not minor league NFL players.

Proponents of this ideology say the kids are being taken advantage of and the money will clean up the game. They say it will eliminate the agent problem and the rampant buying of players. It will have the opposite effect. Schools like the boogs are already buying players willy-nilly. Imagine what they will do with very little or no oversight.

The cost of going to the games is getting out of hand now as well. With so many games on TV now, many fans are opting to watch their team from their lazy boy and save the 500 it would cost a family of 4 to go to one game without the hotel. The game will lose popularity the way baseball did in the 60's and 70's if kids can't experience the games 1st hand.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I'm not sure if this is good or bad for CFB, but I am certain that some of the rules that have been inlace to 'level the playing filed' so that startups and small schools can compete should go away. So while there are certain to be unintended consequences from this, I think in the long run it has the potential to be better for the schools that wish to separate themselves from the rest of the pack.
I agree, this or something like it needed to happen.

Restricting the big name schools in order to allow directionals and commuter campuses (cough uab cough) to try and complete with the big boys has always been a bad idea. Separating us out was and is the only solution. I remain hopeful that this will work.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
I love Alabama with every fiber of my being, but I am becoming disillusioned with the college football world we live in today. Athletes are spoiled in every way possible so lets give them more. They get an education for free( If they choose to use it). Ask anyone who had to pay for their own way or for their kids education, that is nothing to sneeze at. Most kids who are on a scholarship already get their tuition, books, food and lodging and as well as a monthly stipend. On top of that there is a large number of them that get a pell grant as well so lets stop the poor little student athlete mantra ESPN is selling. It is time we make these kids amateurs again, not minor league NFL players.

Proponents of this ideology say the kids are being taken advantage of and the money will clean up the game. They say it will eliminate the agent problem and the rampant buying of players. It will have the opposite effect. Schools like the boogs are already buying players willy-nilly. Imagine what they will do with very little or no oversight.

The cost of going to the games is getting out of hand now as well. With so many games on TV now, many fans are opting to watch their team from their lazy boy and save the 500 it would cost a family of 4 to go to one game without the hotel. The game will lose popularity the way baseball did in the 60's and 70's if kids can't experience the games 1st hand.
At some point in the near future, college games will also cost you to watch from your lazy boy.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Boise State lost, while Utah & TCU left for the Pac-12 and Big 12-2, Boise went from the WAC to the MWC.

Gallowglas

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2008
Hendersonville, TN
At some point in the near future, college games will also cost you to watch from your lazy boy.
They already do. I don't know how much you pay for TV service, but I'm paying quite a bit. The money from those subscription services and advertising is paid as licensing fees to the organizations who sponsor the games. I don't have hard numbers to support it, but I'd bet the current revenues from TV viewers exceeds those generated from people in the stadium itself once you broke everything down. Probably by a substantial margin.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.