You want $14.00/hour for unskilled work? OK, please meet your replacement...

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Me too. But then again, I worked at A&P in Mobile in the 80s so I know how to bag. I actually offered a manager at a grocery store if he needed me to put on a bagging seminar because his clerks sucked at bagging. He was stunned, but didn't take me up on the offer.
I worked at the Piggly Wiggly on Valleydale Road (Shelby County, AL).

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Me too. But then again, I worked at A&P in Mobile in the 80s so I know how to bag. I actually offered a manager at a grocery store if he needed me to put on a bagging seminar because his clerks sucked at bagging. He was stunned, but didn't take me up on the offer.
I once went in a store and bought a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread. I went through the customer service desk register and the genius put them both in the same bag. If I hadn't already paid, I'd have walked out and left the stuff sitting there. I did yank both items out of the bag and carried out by hand. I thought about returning the stuff for a refund but it would have been a big hassle.

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
It may have just been a proof of concept type thing, but in the mid to late 90's the Taco Bell on 15th Street in Tuscaloosa had touch screens in the lobby for ordering food. They still had people at the counter.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
It may have just been a proof of concept type thing, but in the mid to late 90's the Taco Bell on 15th Street in Tuscaloosa had touch screens in the lobby for ordering food. They still had people at the counter.
I think now that would change. We don't eat fast food much but when we do it never fails (no matter which franchise we're at) the employee taking our order can't follow along and get the order right. Drive thrus are the worst. I think a touch screen that would allow the customer to input what they wanted and exactly how they wanted it would be great. But I doubt the prices would change.

Last edited:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I'll sometimes give an extra dollar with my payment so I can get back a five dollar bill instead of four ones and half the time they hand me back the dollar.
Better still...............5 ones. Been a victim of that complete lack of math and simplicity.

As a corollary: teach kids to pass standardized tests, and this is what you get.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I once went in a store and bought a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread. I went through the customer service desk register and the genius put them both in the same bag. If I hadn't already paid, I'd have walked out and left the stuff sitting there. I did yank both items out of the bag and carried out by hand. I thought about returning the stuff for a refund but it would have been a big hassle.
What morons. I always would put the eggs and bread in a separate bag because they were both delicates - eggs first, bread on top. Frozen foods together, dairy together. Keep the cold stuff together to keep it cold longer and it's easier to unload when all the frozen items are together. Household chemicals go in a separate bag. Double bag heavy/canned items. It's really not that hard is it?

I'll take my reusable/canvas bags a lot of times and stand at the end of the counter and bag the stuff just so the kids see how it's done.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I don't use them because my groceries aren't any cheaper. So I might as well let the cashier do it. It's stupid I know, but I can't get past that I'm paying markup built into the price of the products to cover the cashier's wages yet here I am checking my own self out. :conf3:
Agree on principle, but.......

They put Beavis and Butt-head to do the bagging, who are fixated on the girl working the register. They operate on auto-pilot.

"Do you want paper, or plastic, sir?"
"Paper."

While they proceed to dump everything into a plastic bag.

Yes, I would rather the price of groceries go down. The brief respite of not having to deal with Beavis and Butt-head is worth the absence of lower prices.

Thankfully, the local grocery chain notorious for this modus operandi has vanished. I stopped shopping there the night I found one of the stocking crew taking a nap on the check-out conveyor. In full view of anyone who was in the store. Including several customers, and probably some crew leaders.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN

They put Beavis and Butt-head to do the bagging, who are fixated on the girl working the register. They operate on auto-pilot.

"Paper."

Yes, I would rather the price of groceries go down. The brief respite of not having to deal with Beavis and Butt-head is worth the absence of lower prices.

Thankfully, the local grocery chain notorious for this modus operandi has vanished. I stopped shopping there the night I found one of the stocking crew taking a nap on the check-out conveyor. In full view of anyone who was in the store. Including several customers, and probably some crew leaders.
Huh-huh! You said 'dump'. Huhuhuhuhhuh.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL

"Paper."

Plastic for me.
Insects (esp. roaches) love to hide in paper bags. Once you release them into your home, it's almost impossible to get rid of them.

lazlohollyfeld

1st Team
Jul 20, 2010
Allen, TX

"Paper."

I'm not sure where you've been shopping. Lucky for us there is no shortage of choices around here.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I'm not sure where you've been shopping. Lucky for us there is no shortage of choices around here.
In Katy, we have HEB, Krogers, Brookshire Brothers, Walmart, Fiesta, Whole Foods, Randalls, Aldi & Sprouts just to name a few. No "self-serve" ones though.

HEB for the produce, Krogers for a larger selection of product.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN

"Paper."

http://youtu.be/dzCXTxAfgEo

The video cuts the end short. The clerk says, "Do you want a ..." and a hand comes from off-screen and grabs the receipt.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I don't use them because my groceries aren't any cheaper. So I might as well let the cashier do it. It's stupid I know, but I can't get past that I'm paying markup built into the price of the products to cover the cashier's wages yet here I am checking my own self out. :conf3:

I always do the self checkout (even with a cart full)..because I can do it a lot faster. The lines for the regular checkouts are usually ridiculous and I don't want to spend any more time than I have to in the store.

Now, I do get frustrated when someone with less than 10 items can't figure out the self checkout. How hard can it be?

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
Everywhere I've tried bringing reusable bags, it totally blows their minds. It's like whatever rules they tried to abide by with paper or plastic go out the window and a mental paralysis sets in.

Kind of makes me appreciate the way it was done in Germany, where the clerk makes you bag your own groceries. You better be fast, because there will not be a break before the next customer's items are hurled to the bagging area. And you better have your own bags, because theirs are small and very thin and will most certainly break open.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
The CHili's near me has those little tablets to order at some stations too. Definitely can see it as a growing trend for a lot of restaurants. Even bank tellers seem to be on the chopping block with the ability to deposit via smartphone now (or direct deposit/withdrawal/transfer).

It is different with bank tellers. I think there will always be a need for them. I asked my husband what he thought (he is a branch manager) and he said there will always be customer service needed in the branch. Customers like that face to face interaction.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.