NFL Pre-season Games updates (8/7/13)

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I can dig it....I guess...

As far as I see, though, I don't know how any football fan can't appreciate the best thing smoking. I watch a ton of football...I'm a football junkie actually. And I can honestly say that the level of play that's going on right now in the NFL is the most entertaining thing ever.

I agree with him. Keeping up with former Bama players is the only interest I have in the NFL, and even then, I only watch it casually. If I'm home and it's on, I'll watch, but I have never made a point a to catch a NFL game. I certainly haven't ever scheduled around one like I do Bama games.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

As far as I see, though, I don't know how any football fan can't appreciate the best thing smoking. I watch a ton of football...I'm a football junkie actually. And I can honestly say that the level of play that's going on right now in the NFL is the most entertaining thing ever.
i am with you Mack, I can watch any football game college and pro. doesn't even matter who it is.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

I guess "best" and "highest level" are 2 different things to me. There's no doubt that the level of skill and talent are off the charts in the NFL, but it doesn't excite me. Ultimately, it is just guys doing their jobs, and that's what it looks like to me. Guys playing trying to be millionaires play much harder than guys that are millionaires, IMO. I can't blame them, but that's what I see. A great number of those guys care nothing about their teams, and willingly jump ship to another for a bigger paycheck. That's what I see when I watch NFL football.

Its the same reason I'd rather watch a Saturday night late model dirt track race than a NASCAR race.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I can say I that I have a good time watching our players play in the last several. The few Green Bay games I saw last year with Eddie basically carrying a QB-less team was the best NFL football I've watched in a very long time.

Of course, I read recently that Eddie still drives a '95 Caprice and bought a fairly modest $200,000 house for his parents, so maybe it's that he isn't acting like a millionaire yet! :)

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I can say I that I have a good time watching our players play in the last several. The few Green Bay games I saw last year with Eddie basically carrying a QB-less team was the best NFL football I've watched in a very long time.

Of course, I read recently that Eddie still drives a '95 Caprice and bought a fairly modest $200,000 house for his parents, so maybe it's that he isn't acting like a millionaire yet! :)
1995 Caprice? Man, the REC has to step up their game if we want to keep the pipeline full of NFL quality RBs :)

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
And why didn't Mandell handle kickoffs for us? That was a great one he just did.
I was wondering the SAME thing..

I have thoughts about our kicking development or lack thereof. But I'll reserve that for another discussion

One of the biggest issues I always noticed with Cade Foster was that he appeared very off-balance on a lot of his kickoffs, almost to the point of falling over. You can get more power and more control on your kicks if you're balanced through the kick. I also wondered why that never really seemed to be addressed. There's an old soccer drill to help with that where you line up a number of balls (usually 8 to 10) along the outside of the box and kick each one (with some power) into the goal, making sure you land on your kicking foot with each shot. If you miss a shot or fail to land on your kicking foot, you start over.

As for why Cody Mandell didn't handle kickoffs, I seem to remember him being fairly inconsistent in scrimmages, A-Day, etc. - though I may be confusing him with someone else in my memory.

By the way, Cody has now punted twice for the Cowboys for an average of 45.5 yards - with a long of 49 yards - and both punts left the Chargers inside their own 20 yard line!

Go Cody! :)

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Heard some things from a guy that was a punter for us (that I won't divulge here). But in any event, it caused me to ask the same question that I've always asked: We've got probably the largest support staff in the country in terms of football. Why can't we (or DO WE and I just don't know) have an expert/coach to work solely with our kickers?

One of the biggest issues I always noticed with Cade Foster was that he appeared very off-balance on a lot of his kickoffs, almost to the point of falling over. You can get more power and more control on your kicks if you're balanced through the kick. I also wondered why that never really seemed to be addressed. There's an old soccer drill to help with that where you line up a number of balls (usually 8 to 10) along the outside of the box and kick each one (with some power) into the goal, making sure you land on your kicking foot with each shot. If you miss a shot or fail to land on your kicking foot, you start over.

As for why Cody Mandell didn't handle kickoffs, I seem to remember him being fairly inconsistent in scrimmages, A-Day, etc. - though I may be confusing him with someone else in my memory.

By the way, Cody has now punted twice for the Cowboys for an average of 45.5 yards - with a long of 49 yards - and both punts left the Chargers inside their own 20 yard line!

Go Cody! :)

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture

same here. hard to imagine a fan of football not liking the NFL..i dont get it. the level of play and entertainment value alone is worth the view.

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
I'll watch the NFL because it's football. But, I don't like it as well as I like Alabama football, SEC football, or college football. NFL seems bland to me compared to college football. Maybe it's because all the players are so good and generally speaking most teams run the same schemes. A lot more variety in college. And, having attended SEC and NFL games, there is no contest for which one is more exciting.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
same here. hard to imagine a fan of football not liking the NFL..i dont get it. the level of play and entertainment value alone is worth the view.

I'll watch it if there's nothing better going on - which isn't a long list - but I'm no fan of the NFL. Nine out of 10 times I'm watching an NFL game, it's either because there's a favorite Bama player on one of the teams I want to see or it's a playoff game.

There's far too many prima donnas in the NFL and I don't like all the rules changes they've implemented to handicap the defenses and over-inflate the scoring. If they keep on moving more and more towards a "Quarterback League" then, before too long, the NFL won't be much more than a glorified 7-on-7 league - you know, like the Arena league.

Tidefan1

Scout Team
Aug 21, 2013
I'll watch it if there's nothing better going on - which isn't a long list - but I'm no fan of the NFL. Nine out of 10 times I'm watching an NFL game, it's either because there's a favorite Bama player on one of the teams I want to see or it's a playoff game.

There's far too many prima donnas in the NFL and I don't like all the rules changes they've implemented to handicap the defenses and over-inflate the scoring. If they keep on moving more and more towards a "Quarterback League" then, before too long, the NFL won't be much more than a glorified 7-on-7 league - you know, like the Arena league.
Completely agree with your assessment. Roger Goodell has destroyed the NFL with ignorant rule changes. The only reason I watch anymore is because of fantasy football.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Completely agree with your assessment. Roger Goodell has destroyed the NFL with ignorant rule changes. The only reason I watch anymore is because of fantasy football.
it's because he's looking at it purely from a marketing standpoint with little or no concern for the quality of the game.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
it's because he's looking at it purely from a marketing standpoint with little or no concern for the quality of the game.
And a litigation standpoint....with so many lawsuits about treatment of former players and brain injuries, etc.

Like the Heads Up program they (and USA Football) started with youth football...I teach it because we have to. But it's just not a natural instinct to tackle that way. We're doing all we can to teach these guys this "heads up" method but they normally tend to do what comes naturally to them once the game starts.

While the heads up program on the surface seems to have good intentions, anybody that sees it knows it's the NFL (namely Goodell) trying to save face

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
If you like Alabama, it's hard not to watch. Half the games are like alumni games.
This.

A request to Mack or whoever is willing. Can there be a thread like this every week, for schmucks like me who don't get to watch a lot of NFL? Especially since we now have so many guys in the pros. If you're a Bama fan, good time to be an NFL fan...

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I follow the NFL because I grew rooting for the San Francisco 49ers. For me, I would say it's because California has good college and pro sports, whereas in Alabama, Alabama and Auburn are all that you get. It seems to make some difference because even though Alabama is surrounded by other states with pro sports teams, there are not as many into b/c of a lack of pro sports teams in Alabama.

Enjoyed watching Quinton Dial have a good game last night against the Ravens. I just wish Coach Harbaugh would draft more of them.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
This.

A request to Mack or whoever is willing. Can there be a thread like this every week, for schmucks like me who don't get to watch a lot of NFL? Especially since we now have so many guys in the pros. If you're a Bama fan, good time to be an NFL fan...
Certainly will. Good idea

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.