NFL Pre-season Games updates (8/7/13)

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
same here. hard to imagine a fan of football not liking the NFL..i dont get it. the level of play and entertainment value alone is worth the view.
Here's why the NFL isn't as fun to me any more.
1) the depreciation of the RB and the running game.
2) constant rule changes that favor WRs and QBs. It seems like they're always trying to make it easier to score. Easy does not equal fun to me.
3) the divafication of the entire league, every position, with all the contract holdouts and constant renegotiating.
4) wins aren't as emotional for players. Not saying it doesn't mean a whole lot to them, but IMO it's nothing like CFB in the emotions department.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
This.

A request to Mack or whoever is willing. Can there be a thread like this every week, for schmucks like me who don't get to watch a lot of NFL? Especially since we now have so many guys in the pros. If you're a Bama fan, good time to be an NFL fan...
Certainly will. Good idea
I'm a fan of that! Our Pro Sports board is pretty dead, and it would be a great way to our former players in the NFL.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Here's why the NFL isn't as fun to me any more.
1) the depreciation of the RB and the running game.
2) constant rule changes that favor WRs and QBs. It seems like they're always trying to make it easier to score. Easy does not equal fun to me.
3) the divafication of the entire league, every position, with all the contract holdouts and constant renegotiating.
4) wins aren't as emotional for players. Not saying it doesn't mean a whole lot to them, but IMO it's nothing like CFB in the emotions department.
Unfortunately, it's a necessary evil. These guys have a relatively narrow window to make enough money to set their families straight for the next few generations if managed correctly. Also, the NFL, unlike any of the other leagues, do not guarantee much money. Being that it is the most inherently dangerous, you'd think they would, but it's not that way. NBA money is guaranteed (the NY Knicks were still paying both Allan Houston and Larry Johnson well after a decade after they last played for them.). MLB money is guaranteed (The NY Mets are STILL TODAY paying Bobby Bonilla and he hasn't played for them since the turn of the 21st century)...So in that sense, the football players have to maximize their earning potential while they're healthy enough to be deemed worthy of the money teams are willing to offer.

And even more unfortunate is the fact that the fans typically only see the player "not honoring his contract". Most of the outrageous NFL contract numbers you see are backloaded, meaning that in a simple example, the payments would be paid out in increasing increments. Of course on the back end of the deal, the player is older and probably more likely to have gotten injured, then the team can just cut him and not pay what THEY agreed to. A prime example of that is Hines Ward & the Pittsburgh Steelers (I personally hold both parties in very high esteem). Ward held out near the end of his career and the fan backlash was ridiculous. Steelers fans are some of the most loyal in all of sports. But not many of them batted an eye when Ward was pretty much rendered useless as a player (outside of being a mentor for younger receivers), but still owed big money on his contract but was cut and pretty much forced into retirement.

So it's a business. As is college athletics whether we wanna believe it or not. It always has been. There are just more vehicles now for college players and former college players to have their voices heard. I certainly don't want this to turn into an NCAA should pay players thread. We have about 20 of those already.

On the point about the RB position being phased out, I'm with you, as this troubles me a great deal. The same as it troubles me that the traditional 7 foot center and traditional low post power forward in the NBA is being phased out with the infusion of rules to favor a more Euro style of play (wing player dominant). It is bothersome, but it doesn't keep me from watching it. Although I know that both of those developments are centered around money. More scoring in football, More movement in basketball, means more fringe fans. The hardcore fans still get SOME of what they want and if they're hardcore fans, they'll watch anyway. I imagine that's their thinking.

And tying that back into the original point, running backs especially won't be getting paid. The Seahawks paid Shaun Alexander a boat load of money after he had produced. And unfortunately (see a theme with that word?), Shaun got dinged up after the big money. Along with him trying to rush back from a broken foot, the departure of Steve Hutchinson, and the aging of Walter Jones, he was never the same. So no running back will probably ever be paid big money again after age 28.

Last edited:

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Unfortunately, it's a necessary evil. These guys have a relatively narrow window to make enough money to set their families straight for the next few generations if managed correctly. Also, the NFL, unlike any of the other leagues, do not guarantee much money. Being that it is the most inherently dangerous, you'd think they would, but it's not that way. NBA money is guaranteed (the NY Knicks were still paying both Allan Houston and Larry Johnson well after a decade after they last played for them.). MLB money is guaranteed (The NY Mets are STILL TODAY paying Bobby Bonilla and he hasn't played for them since the turn of the 21st century)...So in that sense, the football players have to maximize their earning potential while they're healthy enough to be deemed worthy of the money teams are willing to offer.

And even more unfortunate is the fact that the fans typically only see the player "not honoring his contract". Most of the outrageous NFL contract numbers you see are backloaded, meaning that in a simple example, the payments would be paid out in increasing increments. Of course on the back end of the deal, the player is older and probably more likely to have gotten injured, then the team can just cut him and not pay what THEY agreed to. A prime example of that is Hines Ward & the Pittsburgh Steelers (I personally hold both parties in very high esteem). Ward held out near the end of his career and the fan backlash was ridiculous. Steelers fans are some of the most loyal in all of sports. But not many of them batted an eye when Ward was pretty much rendered useless as a player (outside of being a mentor for younger receivers), but still owed big money on his contract but was cut and pretty much forced into retirement.

So it's a business. As is college athletics whether we wanna believe it or not. It always has been. There are just more vehicles now for college players and former college players to have their voices heard. I certainly don't want this to turn into an NCAA should pay players thread. We have about 20 of those already.

On the point about the RB position being phased out, I'm with you, as this troubles me a great deal. The same as it troubles me that the traditional 7 foot center and traditional low post power forward in the NBA is being phased out with the infusion of rules to favor a more Euro style of play (wing player dominant). It is bothersome, but it doesn't keep me from watching it. Although I know that both of those developments are centered around money. More scoring in football, More movement in basketball, means more fringe fans. The hardcore fans still get SOME of what they want and if they're hardcore fans, they'll watch anyway. I imagine that's their thinking.

And tying that back into the original point, running backs especially won't be getting paid. The Seahawks paid Shaun Alexander a boat load of money after he had produced. And unfortunately (see a theme with that word?), Shaun got dinged up after the big money. Along with him trying to rush back from a broken foot, the departure of Steve Hutchinson, and the aging of Walter Jones, he was never the same. So no running back will probably ever be paid big money again after age 28.
Also, WMack, the passing game isn't nearly as entertaining to me as the running game. I like watching both, but IMO there's nothing more beautiful in sports than watching a talented running back do his thing. There are still a lot of incredible athletes at the running back position, but I don't think they impact the game as much as they used to. To me, having a great running back isn't much better than having a good running back, as the running game is used as an aid to the passing game.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Yeah..the Saints and Broncos are good examples of that. But as Aaron Rodgers pointed out when talking about Eddie Lacy's impact last season, RBs are devalued as long as the sun is shining. But once November rolls around and you're playing against the elements, so to speak, you definitely need a great back

Also, WMack, the passing game isn't nearly as entertaining to me as the running game. I like watching both, but IMO there's nothing more beautiful in sports than watching a talented running back do his thing. There are still a lot of incredible athletes at the running back position, but I don't think they impact the game as much as they used to. To me, having a great running back isn't much better than having a good running back, as the running game is used as an aid to the passing game.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
i am with you Mack, I can watch any football game college and pro. doesn't even matter who it is.
When you live in an area where over the years you pull for the Houston Oilers and the Houston Texans, that's enough to turn you off from watching NFL football. My biggest memory of the Oilers (luv ya Blue) is Buffalo vs the Oilers. The Oilers had a huge lead only to totally BLOW that lead to a backup QB. Now I do like seeing #99 for the Texans play. I watch to see how long it takes for him to get a bloody nose each game.

I am a high school and college football fan and an Alabama Crimson Tide FANATIC!

I mainly watch the NFL to see former Bama players playing and the playoffs and Super Bowl.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
When you live in an area where over the years you pull for the Houston Oilers and the Houston Texans, that's enough to turn you off from watching NFL football. My biggest memory of the Oilers (luv ya Blue) is Buffalo vs the Oilers. The Oilers had a huge lead only to totally BLOW that lead to a backup QB. Now I do like seeing #99 for the Texans play. I watch to see how long it takes for him to get a bloody nose each game.

I am a high school and college football fan and an Alabama Crimson Tide FANATIC!

I mainly watch the NFL to see former Bama players playing and the playoffs and Super Bowl.
ahh yes. the frank reich game. One of the best combebacks i ever saw. One of those games i'll always remember exactly what i was doing and where i was when it happened.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I can dig it....I guess...

As far as I see, though, I don't know how any football fan can't appreciate the best thing smoking. I watch a ton of football...I'm a football junkie actually. And I can honestly say that the level of play that's going on right now in the NFL is the most entertaining thing ever.
Because it's not the best thing smoking.

Which did you latch on to first as a kid? The NFL or college football? I'm sure that has a lot to do with your perspective, and the perspective of others. For me, it was Alabama football. So, I grew up loving the elements of the college game. The rivalries, the bands, the pageantry, the colors, etc. None of that is present in the NFL. Yes, you have generic rivalries like Dallas/Washington or Pittsburgh/Baltimore, but it's not the same. For one thing, those teams play each other twice a year and then there are playoffs. So losing those games isn't that big a deal. Losing to Auburn... well... we all know how big a deal that is. You don't get another shot at them and 99.9 times out of a hundred, it knocks you out of any sort of championship contention.

No, for me, the best thing smoking is the college game although so much of the external factors have caused it to lose its luster with me. But the NFL is an afterthought at best, just to keep up with former BAMA players and to watch the playoffs/Super Bowl. I don't enter into the depths of depression based on any team losing in the NFL, and I don't ride on cloud nine for a week based on any team winning.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Because it's not the best thing smoking.

Which did you latch on to first as a kid? The NFL or college football? I'm sure that has a lot to do with your perspective, and the perspective of others. For me, it was Alabama football. So, I grew up loving the elements of the college game. The rivalries, the bands, the pageantry, the colors, etc. None of that is present in the NFL. Yes, you have generic rivalries like Dallas/Washington or Pittsburgh/Baltimore, but it's not the same. For one thing, those teams play each other twice a year and then there are playoffs. So losing those games isn't that big a deal. Losing to Auburn... well... we all know how big a deal that is. You don't get another shot at them and 99.9 times out of a hundred, it knocks you out of any sort of championship contention.

No, for me, the best thing smoking is the college game although so much of the external factors have caused it to lose its luster with me. But the NFL is an afterthought at best, just to keep up with former BAMA players and to watch the playoffs/Super Bowl. I don't enter into the depths of depression based on any team losing in the NFL, and I don't ride on cloud nine for a week based on any team winning.
I can get with your personal preference, but regarding that first sentence, http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/201...minates-list-of-most-watched-sporting-events/

And regarding the absence of NFL rivalries, I'm a 49er fan. I certainly beg to differ.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I can get with your personal preference, but regarding that first sentence, http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/201...minates-list-of-most-watched-sporting-events/

And regarding the absence of NFL rivalries, I'm a 49er fan. I certainly beg to differ.
I know I stated it like a fact, and didn't include "IMO" but that is the point I was trying to make. The best thing for you isn't the best thing for others.

As I said, when I was a kid, Alabama football was what I was raised with. What about you? It seems like I remember you talking about growing up a 49ers fan first and finding out about Alabama football later.

When it comes to the 49er rivalries, let's say against Seattle. Do you have the same awful feeling after a 49er loss to them if you still have that 2nd game left on the schedule against them? Is it the same as Alabama losing to LSU, when that is the one and only time we get the chance to play them every year?***

***Really hope lurking LSU fans read that:cool:

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I know I stated it like a fact, and didn't include "IMO" but that is the point I was trying to make. The best thing for you isn't the best thing for others.

As I said, when I was a kid, Alabama football was what I was raised with. What about you? It seems like I remember you talking about growing up a 49ers fan first and finding out about Alabama football later.

When it comes to the 49er rivalries, let's say against Seattle. Do you have the same awful feeling after a 49er loss to them if you still have that 2nd game left on the schedule against them? Is it the same as Alabama losing to LSU, when that is the one and only time we get the chance to play them every year?***

***Really hope lurking LSU fans read that:cool:
The way we (the 49ers) lost to SEA in the playoffs last season left me feeling empty. Wanting to punch something...someone..about the same as that play that never happened in Lee County

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The way we (the 49ers) lost to SEA in the playoffs last season left me feeling empty. Wanting to punch something...someone..about the same as that play that never happened in Lee County
Ah yes. Losing in the playoffs would be totally different. I guess I've just never had a team that I could follow passionately. I liked the Cowboys when I was a kid, simply because that was the team my dad liked. It would be really tough being a Cowboys fan these days.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Ah yes. Losing in the playoffs would be totally different. I guess I've just never had a team that I could follow passionately. I liked the Cowboys when I was a kid, simply because that was the team my dad liked. It would be really tough being a Cowboys fan these days.
Hahahaha..yes! Both my parents are Cowboys fans. And I run their futility in their faces every chance I get. I love them though. Hahahaha

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

New crop of players, every year. Here because they want to be here. Whether that is to stomp a mud hole in API's butt, or get the best chance to succeed at the next level, they are here and one of us.

In the NFL, you have divas like Terrell Owens who go from hated rival, dancing on the CowBag midfield star (and getting creamed by George Teague), to the newest hope the losers regain that long lost glory, when they were actually one of the premier teams.

Nope, doesn't hold my interest. To make things worse, on any given Sunday they play a team I hate almost as much as them. Never have that problem on any Saturday. Ever. We all know who the good guys are.

RTR!

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL

When it comes to the 49er rivalries, let's say against Seattle. Do you have the same awful feeling after a 49er loss to them if you still have that 2nd game left on the schedule against them? Is it the same as Alabama losing to LSU, when that is the one and only time we get the chance to play them every year?
For me as 49er fan, I don't consider the Seahawks to be traditional rivals because they have only been in the same division as the 49ers for a couple of seasons. However, to answer the question, I felt empty because the 49ers were right there to win the NFC to go onto the Super Bowl. I did grow up being a 49ers fan before I became an Alabama fan, but I ended up going to school at Alabama and got two degrees there. I root for all of my sports teams equally.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Ingram looking real good. Did not know he rushed for 4.9 yards a carry last year. Bet the Dallas game helped that out a lot.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Only get the Saints/Rams game here in Columbus today. Ingram off to a great start.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I'm watching Tampa Bay/Jacksonville (you MUST know I love football if I subject myself to this)....

But for Tampa, Barron is the only regular starter in their secondary who's playing tonight. Nothing yet. Just the announcers gushing over how much Lovie loves him.

For Jacksonville, haven't heard Belue or Tinker's name...that's good for Tinker at least

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.