****2014 Crown Jewel Countdown: #14 - DT, Jarran Reed****

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

Scouting Report
From the time he got to campus up until his unfortunate arrest for DUI just before the start of camp, all we heard was good things about Reed. He was said to give us the dimension that we had become accustomed to from the NT that we lost when Jesse Williams graduated. He certainly has the ability to do just that as well as the quickness to slide to DE on some heavier packages.

BigEasyTider's Take
Talented kid with a unique skill set. Even though he has been dubbed as one of the quick twitch guys, that's not really accurate, because he's a very big player. He's bigger than traditional 3-4 ends we've had in the past like Washington, Deaderick, Stinson, and Pagan, and the reality is that he just moves very, very well for a man of his size. He could really play anywhere on the defensive line, and his athleticism makes him a potential three down player even at 310 pounds, because he can penetrate the backfield on passing downs from the defensive interior.

Off-field issues arose, obviously, with the DUI, but from all indications that was largely a one-off type of incident. He was in line for a starting job before that happened based on his spring performance, and while the camp suspension -- which I'm sure will carry over into the season -- put him back a bit, I don't see any reason to expect that he won't be a mainstay by the time Florida comes to town, provided that he can stay healthy.

Compared and contrasted to a guy like Flournoy-Smith -- who may or may not have a real, defined role in Tuscaloosa -- Reed is the opposite end of a spectrum for a JUCO signee. He's going to be a mainstay of the DL rotation this fall.

runtheoption22's Take
We saw what he can do at A-Day. And, I easily could've put him in the top 10, maybe top 6 if we didn't have to be concerned with the off-the-field stuff. Reed can play every down- which is something that we have needed more of against HUNH teams. He can get a push and he can plug the hole. He's a contributor this year if he gets out of the doghouse.

WMack4Bama's Take
We saw in the A-Day game the type of impact Reed is capable of having. I think he has the ability to not only anchor the d-line vs. the run, but provide a certain amount of pressure vs. the pass from his NT position. The challenge will now be, of course, the off field stuff. If the DUI turns out to be a 1 time thing, Reed will be a very valuable, instant impact type of player.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.