****2014 Crown Jewel Countdown: #13 - OG, Ross Pierschbacher****

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

Scouting Report
Very highly decorated lineman out of Iowa who is incredibly athletic. Leaner than one would expect an OL to be, but is very aggressive and nasty run blocking. Very good pulling and blocking in space. Played both tackle & guard in high school. Projects as a guard (albeit a tall one) at this level.

BigEasyTider's Take
Really exciting prospect here because he has such a balanced overall skill set. He's got a long frame, highly athletic, aggressive at the point of attack, and good foot work and hand placement. When you start to look into this kid it's not hard to figure out why he performed so well on the prep level and on the camp circuits, and why Alabama went all the way into Iowa to pick up this kid. The ceiling is very, very high here, and he's someone who could contribute early in his career.

For a comparison, he actually reminds me a lot of Barrett Jones. He certainly needs to add some weight, but his frame indicates that shouldn't be a problem in Scott Cochran's S&C program, and I'd bet he's at around 300 pounds this time next fall.

Could play anywhere on the line, really, but FWIW he has gotten a lot of looks this fall at left tackle. Part of that is a depth issue, of course, but long arms and athleticism play a big part, too. His ultimate position will probably be determined by how well he moves after adding more weight, but I think this is a kid who will be a mainstay of the OL in a couple of years.

runtheoption22's Take
Piersbacher is going to be a good one. This is not a Tyler Love situation where the kid comes in a little lean and never materializes. Piersbacher has the frame to carry lots more weight, but he is so quick and technically sound now, that I don't know if he'll ever need to be over 300 to be effective. Like some others in this class, he plays mean and aggressive.

WMack4Bama's Take
As mentioned above, he's a lean guy. So he could use a year or two to bulk up and hopefully it won't negatively affect his athleticism, which is one of his best attributes. He's one of those linemen that you can pretty much forget about escaping from. Once his hands are on you, you're out of the play. What I noticed watching some of his highlights though is that he's just as aggressive pass blocking as he is run blocking, which isn't always a good thing. Instead of bending at the knees, he tends to bend and the waist and lunge toward a defender, which could leave him on someone's highlight reel whiffing at air. Other than that, his technique is very good, and I think if he ever gets the opportunity to start, he'll be a great one.

Last edited by a moderator:

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Not at all. Just in this class alone, Hassenauer (a natural center) and Casher (who has taken snaps at center in 7-on-7) are the guys there.

Just out of curiosity Mack..Do you see him moving over to the C spot & giving us depth at the C position..He looks like a C to me..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.