JessN: Previews 2014: Alabama Crimson Tide

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

BamaDynasty

Scout Team
May 9, 2003
Smyrna,GA,USA
I think a huge part of CNS' legacy is how he awakened a sleeping giant (in some respects) on the By-O. He closed the borders, started getting great Texas talent, and starting meeting expectations. Since 2001 they have played CNS football and WON BIG. I just hate that it's within our own division/conference.

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011
Don't fool yourself LSU hasn't been intimidated by us, I think if we have the players I think we have we will win 11, at minimum.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I agree with Lsu likely getting us this year we visit them and usually the edge of two teams very evenly matched goes to the home team. I know alot of fans are saying another loss or two is very possible even likely this year, I certainly agree with that if special teams play does not improve.That alone could cost us a game as it did last year at the barn. I know all the woulds and coulds but bottom line is not being able to put the ball through the uprights cost us. If we finsh 10-2 and win our bowl I certainly would not consider that a disappointing year.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Returns and coverage might make up 20%, tops, of the special teams rating.
Not that placekicking and punting didn't always dominate the special teams evaluations, but I honestly think that the return game, on both kick-offs and punts, is probably less important today than it ever has been before.

Rule and strategy changes have just dramatically decreased the opportunities that you get in both cases. Moving kick-offs up to the 35 has created a lot more touchbacks, and bringing the ball out to the 25 to start only creates a further incentive for returners just to take a knee in the end zone. And on punt returns, coaches just neutralize a dangerous returner almost entirely by the use of directional punting and rugby-style punts. Having an elite returner these days just doesn't do you a whole lot of good.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Enough negativity in this thread to cover a couple of seasons. Lots of people conceding games - particularly LSU, in some cases multiple games. I know LSU has talent but they lost a ton from last year's team and it isn't like we don't have some as well. We've beaten them 3 straight (5 of the last 7) - with the best QB's they've had recently and I do believe they'll be breaking in a new one this year. I like the results we've had when facing new, inexperienced, QBs.

Lots of concern over Ole Miss, State and auburn. I've seen nothing from either Mississippi school to get worried about. State always seems to benefit from playing us the week after LSU - but can't take advantage. That leaves auburn, the only thing they have that causes me constant consternation is... luck. Can they continue to generate so much of it in one team? CNS has dominated most everyone since arriving, except for his 4-3 mark vs. auburn. Granted 2 of the losses, well all three if you go back and look, required some extremely good fortune in order for au to win. I have to think Coach is determined to change the direction of the series - well, he'd better be determined.

Bottom line, I don't see all these loses some of you guys are so quick to hang on us. I think we get to ATL unbeaten and with a chance to accomplish big things. As CPB said, "I expect nothing less."

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
since my earlier post, I believe miss st and miss to be as dangerous as lsu or auburn. I am still concerned about the off line, qb starter. there are more teams in the sec mix than I have seen in many years.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.