breakout year for J.Coker

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I don't really disagree with that statement, but it doesn't necessarily apply to Sims at all. Mind you, I think Coker will end up being the primary starter this year, but Coker has two years of eligibility, Sims has one year. It wouldn't matter if Sims was the guy or not, someone else has to be the guy next year, that's all there is to it. So, I'm not entirely fond of the notion that Saban must have wanted Coker because he didn't like how Sims was performing. That's nothing but idle speculation. Now does anyone know he didn't do it because he doesn't like the options next year?
Would you believe if CNS admitted what you just said is speculation??? He just admitted in an interview on the SEC Channel that Sims has surprised him and that he did indeed have some doubts he could develop as much as he has up to this point.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Would you believe if CNS admitted what you just said is speculation??? He just admitted in an interview on the SEC Channel that Sims has surprised him and that he did indeed have some doubts he could develop as much as he has up to this point.
I didn't hear what he said, but it doesn't sound like any sort of specific comparison to Coker either. Until he breaks down a comparison between the two (which is extremely unlikely) we probably will never know exactly how he compared the two when he offered a scholarship (or what ever the process is) to Coker. What you said doesn't necessarily (despite your use of the word admit) indicate anything beyond Saban being impressed with how much Sims has developed.

Remember, Coker was recruited by Alabama. This was roughly the same time Sims was a running back, so Alabama's initial pursuit of Coker has absolutely nothing to do with Sims at all, nor did it mean Alabama wasn't happy with AJ either. I just keep saying people say that Saban wouldn't have brought in Coker unless he was unhappy with Sims, or that he wouldn't have brought in Coker unless it was to start right away. The truth is Alabama would have had Coker on scholarship all along had Saban got his way, and we simply can't know how that would have impacted Sims.

A: Saban has never said he was unhappy with Sims, as far as I know, and B: At no point have I heard Saban say Coker was brought in to start right away. He's said things to the contrary, which indicate that matter is still up in the air. I get, that in most circumstances you don't bring in a guy with two years of eligibility if not to start right away, but quarterback is a very different position. I'm just tired of seeing a constant spin, that has gone on since people were claiming there was no way Sims would be the backup over Ely.

I do believe Saban hoped Coker would live up to his potential and develop into the guy, but I've seen nothing at all to indicate (certainly not the account you just gave) that this is or was a done deal, or that it is a reflection on Blake Sims. It would be lunacy to not have a contingency plan for a potential one year starter at quarterback...

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I didn't hear what he said, but it doesn't sound like any sort of specific comparison to Coker either. Until he breaks down a comparison between the two (which is extremely unlikely) we probably will never know exactly how he compared the two when he offered a scholarship (or what ever the process is) to Coker. What you said doesn't necessarily (despite your use of the word admit) indicate anything beyond Saban being impressed with how much Sims has developed.

I do believe Saban hoped Coker would live up to his potential and develop into the guy, but I've seen nothing at all to indicate (certainly not the account you just gave) that this is or was a done deal, or that it is a reflection on Blake Sims. It would be lunacy to not have a contingency plan for a potential one year starter at quarterback...
CNS on Blake: "Blake has really played well and probably developed into a more consistent player at that position that I thought he could at some point in time."

You are over analyzing what I said and I'm just reporting what CNS said. It's hard not to infer that one of the reasons Coker was sought out from FSU was to be a viable option when CNS apparently had some doubts that BS would develop.

Now, apparently he's develped and there is a good competition going on. May the best player win!

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
You are over analyzing what I said and I'm just reporting what CNS said. It's hard not to infer that one of the reasons Coker was sought out from FSU was to be a viable option when CNS apparently had some doubts that BS would develop.

Now, apparently he's develped and there is a good competition going on. May the best player win!
Remember, you posted that in response to what I said about Coker being brought in not being proof that Saban was unhappy with Sims. Having said that, I don't disagree with the rest of what you said. I agree with the idea of there being some doubt, but I just think it's a bit disrespectful to then come to the conclusion that Coker's arrival had to be something negative about Sims, instead of simply something positive about Coker. As per usual, I wasn't necessarily taking exception to the statement I quoted either, just to a sentiment I've seen expressed here a few times. The notion that Coker's arrival both had to be a condemnation of Sims and a sign of his Coker being destined to start.

I still kind of hope Coker is the guy, because I think Coker is best suited to run the offense Alabama wants to run. But, I also am starting to feel relatively good about the depth at the position, vs. the dread I've generally felt at the prospect of something happening to the starting QB at Alabama.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Guys, I think Coach offered Coker a Scholarship Simply because he was a better QB than what Del Rio was going to be. That's why Del Rio left for Oregon St. I don't think it had anything to do with Blake.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Remember, you posted that in response to what I said about Coker being brought in not being proof that Saban was unhappy with Sims.

I still kind of hope Coker is the guy, because I think Coker is best suited to run the offense Alabama wants to run. But, I also am starting to feel relatively good about the depth at the position, vs. the dread I've generally felt at the prospect of something happening to the starting QB at Alabama.
(On Bolded) Actually, remember you were disagreeing with "bamanix" and all I did was "report" what CNS said in an interview this afternoon which basically agreed with what bamanix was saying and you were disagreeing with him about.

FWIW, I agree with your last statement that Coker is more suited to run the type of offense we've typically seen under CNS.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think this has been beaten to death. Please discuss something new.
FWIW, I had to go to page 2 of the board to find this thread so I could post this info in what I thought was an appropriate thread about Jake Coker.

It continues to confuse me why people take the time to post in a thread and then complain about what is being discussed when they didn't even have to open the thread to begin with.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
FWIW, I had to go to page 2 of the board to find this thread so I could post this info in what I thought was an appropriate thread about Jake Coker.

It continues to confuse me why people take the time to post in a thread and then complain about what is being discussed when they didn't even have to open the thread to begin with.

I agree.

Let's see..."who will be our starting QB?" is the biggest topic in Alabama football right now.

but let's not talk about it. ;)

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I agree.

Let's see..."who will be our starting QB?" is the biggest topic in Alabama football right now.

but let's not talk about it. ;)
I am only sick of Coker is the starter and Sims is terrible" talk. I have had enough of the Coker for Heisman talk and Coker is the greatest thing in the history of ever talk (mainly coming from media types).

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
For the record, Alabama has the #14 (Derrick Henry), #15 (Cam Robinson), and & #16 (Trey DePriest) picks on the list as well...

No other team has four players int ESPN's top50 potential breakout players this season (LSU has three).
As usual.

That being said, I'm content with waiting and seeing what Coker does. I think he'll do somewhere between good and great. I'm just not expecting the world and I don't think it's fair to Coker to expect that from him. But as they, it is what it is. .. sigh .. anyhoo, I am so looking forward to this season. It will be exciting no matter what.

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL
It's been said previously, but I just can't fathom that our coaching staff would bring in a guy like Coker (who at one time was rumored to have a parent shopping him only to schools that would "guarantee" that he'd be the starting QB upon transfer) without feeling like we had a significant need at the QB position. If you look at the guys who have transferred to UA since Nick has been here - both FBS transfers and JUCO transfers - I'll bet the percentage of those guys who were starters or heavy contributors from day one is extremely high, maybe even 100%. I'm thinking of guys like Colin Peek, Jesse Williams, James Carpenter, DeQuan Menzie, Deion Belue, etc. Coker fits that profile. There's just no precedent for a guy like Coker arriving on campus and then riding the bench.

All due respect to Blake Sims, who has been a consummate team player. But the mere presence of Coker on our roster suggests that Nick felt that we didn't have a viable QB for 2014 prior to his arrival. If, barring injury, Coker doesn't start and get the lion's share of the snaps, it will be a monumental upset. I think all of this stuff being floated by the coaching staff about a real, sincere competition is just standard protocol to keep team and player morale sustainable.

All that aside, I think the expectations for Coker being floated by some fans and media outlets are insane. The guy has zero college starting experience and really not a whole lot of game experience in general. I think a season like McCarron's first one in 2011 is a much more likely outcome for Coker than a Heisman campaign, and frankly this team can still win a championship with that kind of performance, barring a rash of injuries.

Just my opinion. I really don't care who starts at QB as long as they're not an outright liability, because I think this team can win a lot of games with the consummate "game manager".

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.