breakout year for J.Coker

bobmack12champs

1st Team
Mar 1, 2001
Florence, Al. USA
I heard Travis Haney from ESPN today on Finebaums show, that "dispite what Saban says", Coker will have a breakout year....in fact, he has him somewhat high. I couldn't read his blog because I'm not an"insider".

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
If going from playing no meaningful snaps to at least playing some meaningful snaps counts as a breakout, then I agree. Otherwise its folly to try and prognosticate.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
In his insider blog he basically has him ranked #1 in his Top 50 Breakout players of 2014 and says he will be this year's Winston. He says he might be so good that this will be his only year with us and then it's off to the NFL. He also says that Saban is being overly diplomatic in discussing the QB situation and that it's obvious that Coker is the 'guy'.

Sidenote: He has LSU's Fournette as the #2 Breakout player of 2014.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
If it turns out that Coker is indeed the breakout player of the year, it would be wonderful, because that would obviously translate into Bama probably being virtually unstoppable on offense if the O-Line comes around.
At the same time, I can't help but wonder what this guy is basing his prediction on. I mean, the talk about the potential is there, but the history of results and performance isn't.
Maybe his crystal ball will be right. Who knows?
I'll say this though---If Fournette stays healthy in fall camp, Jake's going to have to be mighty mighty good as a QB to beat him out as breakout player of the year.
That kid is a Bo Jackson clone.
sip

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Someone needs to block this thread on Sip's computer.

Edit: just noticed Sip was already replying while I was typing. Man, that is 2 threads I am slow on.

Last edited:

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
If it turns out that Coker is indeed the breakout player of the year, it would be wonderful, because that would obviously translate into Bama probably being virtually unstoppable on offense if the O-Line comes around.
At the same time, I can't help but wonder what this guy is basing his prediction on. I mean, the talk about the potential is there, but the history of results and performance isn't.
I'll say this though---If Fournette stays healthy in fall camp, Jake's going to have to be mighty mighty good as a QB to beat him out as breakout player of the year.
sip
i cant figure it out either. hope he can get better but from what i saw of his FSU garbage time and throwing in general, he has a ways to go on his accuracy.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
sip
How is LF a Bo Jackson clone? Why so much hype? Based on what? What has he done? I mean every running back on LSU roster should get a chance to play first. What about the other running backs who have been through the offseason conditioning program?? LF has never played a snap of college football. You must be basing it off his physical stature and the fact that he has all the physical tools to be successful. Oh, but we can't use the same logic on why JC might be good. All makes sense now lol :)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
How is LF a Bo Jackson clone? Why so much hype? Based on what? What has he done? I mean every running back on LSU roster should get a chance to play first. What about the other running backs who have been through the offseason conditioning program?? LF has never played a snap of college football. You must be basing it off his physical stature and the fact that he has all the physical tools to be successful. Oh, but we can't use the same logic on why JC might be good. All makes sense now lol :)
You're a clever fox, but I'm glad you put the smiley face after that. Looking forward to Sip's resonse.

bobmack12champs

1st Team
Mar 1, 2001
Florence, Al. USA
sip
he's basing a lot on info from Jimbo Fisher.Winston didn't beat Coker out until August (per Travis Haney).

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I have never, ever seen a player so hyped by the media before he took a single snap. This is off the wall crazy. I don't care who wins the battle...will support whomever because they are our QB. But to be on Heisman lists, etc. is insane.

What would be crazier would be if Sims were to win the job, and then have a 5 star season, win the SEC POW and Heisman. Now, that would be icing on the cake for me as I am really tired of sportswriters who don't have a clue!

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I have never, ever seen a player so hyped by the media before he took a single snap. This is off the wall crazy. I don't care who wins the battle...will support whomever because they are our QB. But to be on Heisman lists, etc. is insane.

What would be crazier would be if Sims were to win the job, and then have a 5 star season, win the SEC POW and Heisman. Now, that would be icing on the cake for me as I am really tired of sportswriters who don't have a clue!
And then you would wake up from your dream...

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

Did Sip hack your account? ;)

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Also to be fair to Haney he did have Winston #3 on the list last year and here is the write up from his 2013 article(Being over a year old it's not really Premium anymore):

3. Jameis Winston, QB, Florida State Seminoles

If there is a Johnny Manziel-type, or at least a Marcus Mariota in this year’s bunch, Winston is the guy. It’s a big-time program. There is a lot of infrastructure around him, budding receivers and good experience at back and along the O-line. Then there’s Winston’s prodigious talent.

When I asked head coach Jimbo Fisher about Winston, it was obvious he wanted to pump the brakes on the hype. That’s understandable for a player yet to take a snap, but still ...

“He’s a player who has all the tools,” Fisher said, measuring his words. “He’s intelligent and instinctive. He learned and grew [during his redshirt year], and he’s getting ready and preparing now to play.”

I asked Fisher how Winston compares to E.J. Manuel, who in the end was liked more by NFL scouts than college coaches who told me they were never sure if he was a consistent, proven winner. “Well, E.J. was the 16th pick in the draft,” Fisher said. “I hope [Winston] ends up that way.”

Will Coker light it up this year? I don't know any more than the rest of you but he IS getting a lot of compliments across the board from a lot of analysts and coaches that is on par with Winston's hype last year....maybe even moreso oddly. If I'm a betting man Coker is our starter from the 1st snap and ends the year as the #1 SEC QB....JMHO of course.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.