Judge rules against NCAA

Bamalawdawg

3rd Team
Dec 28, 2011
Well the whole 'Game' is about to change. Players will get paid on different levels too I assume as in how many #4 Jersey's are purchased vs. #9, #14, or #99 etc etc. Congrats to any underclassman who is on the cover of the NCAA '16 video games too cause $$$$$$. Magazine covers $$$$$. HOW is this ever going to be fairly regulated....answer it's not. Mass pay for play is about to happen....NOT good.
The decision forbids individuals to be paid differently. The whole team has to get a fixed % based on those otherwise eligible. It will make being in the 85 bigger though. Only the 85 in football can get the % licensing deferred distribution.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Believe what you want but I guarantee if you traced jersey number sales you'd see a direct correlation based on who was playing.

And while I agree they are compensated fairly well, when the university makes literally over a hundred million dollars off the players backs, they deserve some compensation.

And if you think it's all about the school and not the players, feel free to explain the doubling of revenue in the last seven years. We've had more #1 drafted (star) players in the last few years than in the previous decade...
is every jersey number even sold?

i would think that tells you a little bit about whether it's the player or the school.

how many cade foster jerseys are out there as opposed to aj mcarron jerseys?

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
If I read the ruling correctly, the sky isn't falling for the college football model, at least not yet.

Payment is limited to $5k per student per year. That's only $425k per school for 85 scholarship athletes. Not a huge deal for most big- to medium-sized programs.

If this ruling means that the NCAA or the Big 5 conferences can negotiate a licensing deal for a new video game w/o fear of litigation, then that deal, alone, would likely more than pay for the new cost.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The decision forbids individuals to be paid differently. The whole team has to get a fixed % based on those otherwise eligible. It will make being in the 85 bigger though. Only the 85 in football can get the % licensing deferred distribution.
That's interesting and doesn't seem to follow the logic of the ruling in general. If the NCAA is damaging players acting as a cartel and by not allowing them to make money off of their images, I don't see how anyone could argue that individuals should not be able to negotiate on their own behalf to earn as much money as the market will bear. As an example, what if an Olympic gold medalist is on your school's gymnastics team. Before this ruling, that gymnast could make nothing from his/her likeness - could not make money doing commercials and the like. This changes that. Not sure how that will lead to individuals being paid the same amount across a school/conference/NCAA. A player like Yeldon may only get $5k/year from Alabama, but Alabama could help him make an additional $100k/year doing commercials.

Last edited:

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Believe what you want but I guarantee if you traced jersey number sales you'd see a direct correlation based on who was playing.

And while I agree they are compensated fairly well, when the university makes literally over a hundred million dollars off the players backs, they deserve some compensation.

And if you think it's all about the school and not the players, feel free to explain the doubling of revenue in the last seven years. We've had more #1 drafted (star) players in the last few years than in the previous decade...
I respectfully disagree. If you look at the sales of say Julio's jersey. How may would have been sold had he played for UT Chattanooga. TO played for them if I remember correctly. How may TO jersey's for UTC are out there. There is a huge component of the fan base tied directly to the sales of Jersey's. I have no doubt more Julio jerseys sold than any because he was a great player, but playing for Alabama was the reason there more sales in general.

BTW, I guessing the Judge was from California. It appears O'bannon is hawking Toyota's now. I wonder if he would be so interested in the whole concept of his image had he saved some of his NBA money. Speaking of which, how many thing O'bannon would have even had an NBA career without playing for UCLA?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I respectfully disagree. If you look at the sales of say Julio's jersey. How may would have been sold had he played for UT Chattanooga. TO played for them if I remember correctly. How may TO jersey's for UTC are out there. There is a huge component of the fan base tied directly to the sales of Jersey's. I have no doubt more Julio jerseys sold than any because he was a great player, but playing for Alabama was the reason there more sales in general.
Well, we're saying the same thing. There's zero doubt Julio (to continue the example) got far more coverage because he played at Alabama. No one would dispute that. And that coverage is what allowed his image, his number for example, to become so popular. But it also takes the great player to see these jerseys blow off the rack. Both parts make the whole, and until now, one part of that combination got far more compensation from the deal than the other.

And I'd argue that the player, literally laying his body on the line day in and out, stands to lose a lot more if something goes wrong than the university does.

My point is simply that for too long, the major schools (in particular) have made ridiculous amounts of money based on the players (not just the star players, either - as WMack said above, 'how many people would show up to BDS to watch the grass grow?' (paraphrased)) and the players, who lay their bodies, their health on the line every day, gain far less.

CapitalTider

All-American
Jun 8, 2004
Vienna, VA
If I read the ruling correctly, the sky isn't falling for the college football model, at least not yet.

Payment is limited to $5k per student per year. That's only $425k per school for 85 scholarship athletes. Not a huge deal for most big- to medium-sized programs.

If this ruling means that the NCAA or the Big 5 conferences can negotiate a licensing deal for a new video game w/o fear of litigation, then that deal, alone, would likely more than pay for the new cost.
Is that correct though? I would think Title IX would require that you pay all student athletes the $5K. So it is much larger. The Big 5 can likely afford that, but what about the others?

bradley30

1st Team
Sep 9, 2009
Oxford, AL
So the jerseys do not belong to the school. Using that logic, every kid who ever wore the number 22 at Alabama is owed money for his likeness. From Johnny Musso to Mark Ingram.
Exactly! These rulings against EA Sports and NCAA are ridiculous. The jerseys are the ownership of the schools, not the players. It's about the schools they represent (the TEAM) not the name on the back(the individual). College (academics and athletics) is supposed to be about preparing the students for their careers (AFTER COLLEGE) not getting paid salaries while in college. That is what the NFL is for and whatever other profession a student goes into after graduation. This "pay for play" thing is going to bring down and be the demise of college football, sooner or later...

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
How much is a player awarded through scholarships, educational opportunity, athletic opportunity, tutoring, etc by a school? How much is enough? Once the genie is out of the bottle it will never be put back in.

Edit to add: None of the players are forced to play football or any sport. They accept the terms of their scholarship freely and may opt out at any time. Just as Americans are free to accept a job for minimum wage or require more for their services the players can further their education without playing a sport if they wish. There are thousands who would take their place. A judgement which forces payment in disregard of a previous agreement in these matters is no different than awarding settlements for previous players because a players union is sanctioned by a court.
My words are inadequate but I see no end to where this may lead.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Is that correct though? I would think Title IX would require that you pay all student athletes the $5K. So it is much larger. The Big 5 can likely afford that, but what about the others?
We can afford to pay every athlete the stipend, but what about the lesser programs in the power leagues? If I coached track at Iowa State or Mississippi State I would worry about the Grim Reaper showing up at my office.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Would part of this philosophy include an optional format (or template if you will) where the player gave back to the university community - after the player became financially successful?

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
The NCAA model, as it has been, in my opinion, was flawed. This resolution doesn't change it completely. Whatever compensation the athletes are entitled to won't be made available to them until upon graduation. I think that's fair.

I keep reading from proponents of the traditional NCAA model that the university provides the athlete with the platform to earn millions. Well, not everyone is going pro. That's just fact. Because as the NCAA has been adamant about saying over the past decade or so, "There are [x amount] of NCAA student athletes, and most of us are going pro in something other than sports."

So for those men & women who go into the workforce, I think it would be a nice gesture (a send off, if you will) to say thanks for all your hard work.

Yeah. They may have gotten a degree, but what does that even really mean any more?

I have a degree and have never been out of work a day in my adult life (thank God), but that has less to do with my degree and more to do with the experience I was able to acquire interning for major companies while I was in school. There were two UA student athletes who spent time with me at the companies. One was a gymnast whose eligibility was up and the other was a football player, but a walk-on. He told me that for the most part, they didn't have time for jobs because football WAS their job.

And let's be honest...a lot of the degrees that SOME of the top athletes get are padded with "soft skills"; no high level math, no high level science, which makes them not very employable, at least at first.

So whatever money they can get after graduating would help some with the transition I would imagine.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
That's interesting and doesn't seem to follow the logic of the ruling in general. If the NCAA is damaging players acting as a cartel and by not allowing them to make money off of their images, I don't see how anyone could argue that individuals should not be able to negotiate on their own behalf to earn as much money as the market will bear. As an example, what if an Olympic gold medalist is on your school's gymnastics team. Before this ruling, that gymnast could make nothing from his/her likeness - could not make money doing commercials and the like. This changes that. Not sure how that will lead to individuals being paid the same amount across a school/conference/NCAA. A player like Yeldon may only get $5k/year from Alabama, but Alabama could help him make an additional $100k/year doing commercials.
That's what I want, college players spending time making TV commercials. Just what the sport needs.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I think a lot of people missed the limit and without the limit this could be much different. I came up with an idea which sounded somewhat similar to the ruling actually. I said that as soon as a player was used for merchandising, the school should have to pick up the tab on an insurance policy for him (which interestingly enough schools can do now). After re-reading the article, they state $5,000 as the minimum though.

This isn't a catastrophe, but it is a big mess. Under this ruling, "big" college and football programs would have to spend at least $5,000 per year on each player. That's an interesting number, considering that's the stipend number we've already seen tossed around. But, the cap is on the wrong side, leaving the door wide open. I imagine that the schools will try to counter with their $5,000 stipend and an increase in the programs that allow insurance to be paid for by the school. This isn't over yet, and just thinking about how to make this mesh with Title IX makes my head hurt.

But, if at the end of the day all this means is $5,000 a year to student athletes, and less arbitrary restrictions, it could be a good thing. Also, if this means for instance that you can make a Coker jersey, with his name on it, sell it, and give him a cut, who really loses? The issue is how much that sum could become, otherwise it just becomes free agency and bidding wars. I was much happier when I thought it was a $5,000 cap.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The NCAA model, as it has been, in my opinion, was flawed. This resolution doesn't change it completely. Whatever compensation the athletes are entitled to won't be made available to them until upon graduation. I think that's fair.

I keep reading from proponents of the traditional NCAA model that the university provides the athlete with the platform to earn millions. Well, not everyone is going pro. That's just fact. Because as the NCAA has been adamant about saying over the past decade or so, "There are [x amount] of NCAA student athletes, and most of us are going pro in something other than sports."

So for those men & women who go into the workforce, I think it would be a nice gesture (a send off, if you will) to say thanks for all your hard work.

Yeah. They may have gotten a degree, but what does that even really mean any more?

I have a degree and have never been out of work a day in my adult life (thank God), but that has less to do with my degree and more to do with the experience I was able to acquire interning for major companies while I was in school. There were two UA student athletes who spent time with me at the companies. One was a gymnast whose eligibility was up and the other was a football player, but a walk-on. He told me that for the most part, they didn't have time for jobs because football WAS their job.

And let's be honest...a lot of the degrees that SOME of the top athletes get are padded with "soft skills"; no high level math, no high level science, which makes them not very employable, at least at first.

So whatever money they can get after graduating would help some with the transition I would imagine.
It's an unfortunate fact that a lot of the players, even the 4/5*s, can't really handle anything other than a "soft" degree. I've always told myself that even that was better than no degree at all, which is where most of them would be without football (or basketball)...

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Extremely complicated subject. I haven't studied it enough to contribute any significant or even any relevant info.
I'll just say this--I think it's right that each player should receive the same stipend. If they're out there doing the work and putting in the time, they should receive the same stipend, regardless of their team status.
On the other hand, I think a percentage of any jersey sales, image usage, etc. should be accrued in an interest bearing trust and paid 100% to the individual athlete after he leaves school, whether he graduates, declares for the draft, or simply decides he doesn't want to play football or attend school anymore.
I've always felt that way.
sip

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
It's an unfortunate fact that a lot of the players, even the 4/5*s, can't really handle anything other than a "soft" degree. I've always told myself that even that was better than no degree at all, which is where most of them would be without football (or basketball)...
they should offer a 4 year program for athletes to take 6 credits per semester and let them earn an associate's degree after 4 years, with the option of completing a bachelor's degree within a couple of years after that.

that would allow serious student athletes take a BA track if the wish but also allow the less capable players to actually study something without the process being a complete farce.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Wide Variance in COA Calculations with No Good Solution for Power Conferences

This was written by John Infante, who runs athleticscholarships.net. He is a former college athletic department employee.

Yesterday I explained how the judge’s injunction in O’Bannon simplified the cost-of-attendance debate by making many of the alternatives illegal. Under the injunction there can be no need-based cost-of-attendance stipend nor can the NCAA and its members agree on the value of certain elements of COA. The judge required COA to be calculated:

As defined in 20 U.S.C. § 108711 and calculated by each school’s financial aid office applying the same standards, policies, and procedures for all students.
So that means existing COA calculations are a good benchmark of what athletes might be offered. As the numbers show, that will create some major problems.
This is what he figured up for the SEC schools:

SEC
- Alabama: $3,298
- Arkansas: $4,002
- Auburn: $5,586
- Florida: $3,320
- Georgia: $1,798
- Kentucky: $3,536
- LSU: $3,680
- Mississippi: $4,500
- Mississippi State: $5,126
- Missouri: $3,664
- South Carolina: $4,151
- Tennessee: $5,666
- Texas A&M: $3,100
- Vanderbilt: $2,730

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.