****2014 Crown Jewel Countdown: #12 - ATH/S, Ronnie Clark****

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

Scouting Report
He played mostly offense during his senior year at Calera. He played on defense in spots (LB & S), and he played LB in the national high school game he played in. He has great versatility being such a grea athlete, but he's going to start out at safety at Bama.

BigEasyTider's Take
Multi-dimensional kid who played all over the field at Calera, and comes to Alabama as a big, thick safety prospect. Some have mentioned linebacker as a possibility here, and while I think his frame allows it him to add the weight necessary -- I think 230 is feasible for him -- I do think our general depth issues at safety will most likely keep him in the defensive backfield, though that could be subject to change depending on how his body develops and responds to the S&C program.

In terms of physical skills, long frame with a relatively thick build, and good overall athleticism. He doesn't have the range of a guy like Barron, Clinton-Dix, or Collins, but he's more athletic than either Perry or Williams, so he shouldn't be a liability in pass coverage. His build alone should make him a presence in the run game as well, as well as on special teams. Not sure that I see true star potential here just yet, but with Clark you get a high-character, high-IQ kid who has the physical tools necessary to be an asset in all three phases of the game.

For 2014, I think he probably plays as a true freshman, though he will be relegated mostly to mop-up duty and special teams work. By next year, though, with Collins, Williams, and Perry all gone, Clark could be in line for a starting job if all goes to plan.

runtheoption22's Take
I really, really like this kid. Extremely high character. Life circumstances have made him a survivor and a leader. High football IQ. I think we have Demeco Ryans type individual and football player here, though Clark will probably stick at safety.

WMack4Bama's Take
He has great range to cover large parts of the field (great for playing safety) and he has excellent ball skills (also great for playing safety). And his offensive background makes him a threat to make offenses pay when he gets the ball in his hands after a turnover. He also has good fluid hips for a big guy he turns them in zone coverage well. I think more than anything, his greatest asset from the safety position will be his size and toughness to play near the line of scrimmage in run support. He reminds me a great deal of Mark Barron from his freshman & sophomore years from a physical standpoint. Right now he's a big safety, but with his body type, he could easily grow into a linebacker. What we've seen with guys who don't have truly defined roles when they come in, no matter how great of an athlete they are (think BJ Scott), they wound up getting lost in the shuffle. If Clark can stay at safety and excel, with the other DBs in this class plus the guys coming in in next year's class, our secondary could wind up being THE strength of our team.

Last edited by a moderator:

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
love this guy. He is definitely a leader type person. I do hope he doesn't get lost between positions too. I look forward to seeing him on special teams this year and maybe see him and Hootie at safety positions in the next 2 years. We'll lose Landon, Jarrick, and Nick at safety this year. Depending on how Geno Smith plays this year, Ronnie could have a chance to play either nickel or money position in the next 2 years.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.