Tiger Woods Career Heading For The Sunset?

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-08-08-20-42-24

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) -- At No. 7, Tiger Woods bent over so gingerly to pick up his tee that you wondered whether he'd get back up.

At No. 8, he leaned so heavily on his putter while retrieving a ball from the cup that the shaft bowed like a guitar string.

By then he was 3-over par for the day, a half-dozen strokes on the wrong side of the cut line with a still-sore back and one foot already out the door. Sympathy for Woods might be in short supply, but it was still sad to watch.

Sadder still, we might look back someday and remember what happened at this PGA Championship as his Willie Mays moment.

Like Woods, Mays was the greatest player of his era. But Mays was already 41 and a shell of what he used to be by the time he returned to New York to play his final two seasons for the Mets. In Game 2 of the 1973 World Series, he stumbled and fell trying to run down a ball in the outfield and said not long after, "growing old is a helpless hurt." He batted in Game 3 and never appeared in a major league contest again.

Where he goes from here is anyone's guess. Woods said he has no idea what his schedule the rest of the year looks like. Asked what he'd tell Watson if he calls about the Ryder Cup, Woods was glib.

"I don't know," he replied. "He hasn't called."

Tiger may be done at 38 Which begs the question is golf too hard on someone's back? Tiger is one of the most in-shape athletes ever seen on the golf course. A lot of golfers suffer from back problems, and Tiger may have used up his good back days.

People say that golf needs Tiger. I'm not so sure. Maybe golf wants Tiger of ten years ago when he was winning majors routinely and strutting to an adoring crowd. It seems the "incident" when he lost his family and most of his sponsors began the rapid downfall he's now living through.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
He might have used up his back in 'off the course activities'...

Many golfers have had longer careers.
To get to that level, they practice all day every day. That's got to be hard on the back. But you may be right. Maybe he threw his back out on the Waffle House waitress.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
To get to that level, they practice all day every day. That's got to be hard on the back. But you may be right. Maybe he threw his back out on the Waffle House waitress.
Just saying - they ALL have to practice that much, and there are dudes that gold professionally for decades.

Maybe his genetics are such that his back can't handle his talent.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I'm pulling for him. Purely because there are so many people pulling against him. I don't care one iota about golf, but I hope he can string together a bill of health clean enough to get 5 more majors. After all, he's only 38. Perhaps he can have a career resurgence within the next few years.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
I think the fact that he got so ripped and swung so hard has a lot to do with his problems. He's pretty much the sole reason we have 7,000 yard courses -- they had to "Tiger proof" them. The guys with longer careers are not the long hitters. Think of baseball....Randy Johnson was a dominant hurler and flamed out; Greg Maddux nickled and dimed his way to a hall of fame career. Golf needs flexibility, but muscle fights flexibility.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm pulling for him. Purely because there are so many people pulling against him. I don't care one iota about golf, but I hope he can string together a bill of health clean enough to get 5 more majors. After all, he's only 38. Perhaps he can have a career resurgence within the next few years.
William, he's 38 going on 50, or more. It's so common knowledge that he was juicing, that, in any other sport, he'd probably been banned by now. And I'm talking about his close relationship with the defrocked Canadian doctor, etc. His body has broken down. Whether it would have, if he'd paid it proper respect, who knows. And, it is interesting that the down spiral seemed to start with the weird van crash and the discovery of his double life. ("Double" is probably a vast understatement.) He ended up behind Nicklaus and I would have never thought that, earlier in his career. At this point, I don't think he'll ever win another major at all. His career will be one of those we'll muse about for years about "what might have been." I don't think we can look for him to come back as JN did and win the Masters at 46, which is 8 years in his future, at this point. In fact, I doubt he'll be making the cut regularly at 46, assuming he's still trying, which he obviously doesn't have to do financially...

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I think the fact that he got so ripped and swung so hard has a lot to do with his problems. He's pretty much the sole reason we have 7,000 yard courses -- they had to "Tiger proof" them. The guys with longer careers are not the long hitters. Think of baseball....Randy Johnson was a dominant hurler and flamed out; Greg Maddux nickled and dimed his way to a hall of fame career. Golf needs flexibility, but muscle fights flexibility.
Randy Johnson played for more than 2 decades and won over 300 games. He's not the example you want to use of a guy flaming out.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Johnson, and Nolan Ryan, threw hard and lasted a long time. His point is well taken, even if he picked the wrong guy. The Niekro brothers and Jamie Moyer are examples of what he means.

Baseball player who "bulk up" don't seem to last, and it is probably a double whammy of being too tight, physically, and damage from the enhancements they used to get that bulk.

I know nothing about Tiger, other than knowing who he is. Based on what buddies who golf* tell me (some bordering on hero worship), you would have a hard time convincing me he never used enhancements. The same folks who thought I was nuts, 10 or so years ago, now grudgingly acknowledge he probably was taking short cuts.

If someone has a better explanation on how he could suddenly out-drive anyone else on the tour, by a substantial amount, and why his body is suddenly breaking down so quickly, I'll listen.

If that is the case, the irony is the methods he used, to be the greatest ever, may be the ones that will prevent that from ever happening.

* = When I was young, Italians (along with Jews) were not welcome on golf courses. Fine by me. A lot of us are short, portly, and wound too tight, to golf. We are better suited for bocce ball! Or bowling. Funny how that works out. Explains why I still use a Johnny Petraglia ball.

As a result, my knowledge of golf is very limited, and I could be wrong.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
I'll humbly concede that I picked the wrong choice in Johnson!

I do wonder too, how much Tiger's mind is getting in his way. His family breakdown and resulting scandal, on-again/off-again dabbling with Bhuddism, and switching of putters might have had him second guessing everything.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Woods problem right now is he came back too early from his back surgery.

He needs to shut it down for the year. If he wins another major it will be because he got healthy and his putting is hot.

As far as the juicing stuff, is this rumor or is this widely corroborated (idk)?

I saw him play at Augusta in 95. A big part of the reason he's always been a big hitter is because he's bigger than most golfers (Els was a big hitter and big guy). And he's been doing it since he was baby (remember his TV appearance when he was little?). Surprisingly he's never led the PGA in driving distance (Daly, et al).

No question he's hyper competitive.

Tider@GW_Law

All-American
Sep 16, 2007
Sacramento, CA
The consensus in the golf community right now has to do with his swing coach, Sean Foley, and they are becoming more outspoken about it: http://www.cbssports.com/golf/eye-o...tells-tiger-woods-to-get-away-from-sean-foley

Tiger's swing has traditionally relied upon creating tension in your core to help snap your arms and hands into the downswing. A back can only handle that kind of torque for so long (especially when you continue to accumulate upper body mass, which makes the torque worse), and Foley seems to be keeping him in that swing, despite the back problems, while allowing Tiger to compound the situation due to various compensating tweaks. Tiger has to go to more of a natural rhythm swing if he wants to play much longer.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

He needs to shut it down for the year. If he wins another major it will be because he got healthy and his putting is hot.

As far as the juicing stuff, is this rumor or is this widely corroborated (idk)?

I saw him play at Augusta in 95. A big part of the reason he's always been a big hitter is because he's bigger than most golfers (Els was a big hitter and big guy). And he's been doing it since he was baby (remember his TV appearance when he was little?). Surprisingly he's never led the PGA in driving distance (Daly, et al).

I agree I think he came back way too early and is paying for it now.

I'm with Mack as well I would like to see him come back because he is so hated and many think he can't do it now. When he was at the top of his game golf was truly a thing of beauty to watch. I played before I myself had my own back problems, but even then I wouldn't watch it on t.v. unless Tiger was on. The things he could do with a golf club was simply amazing. Maybe he is freaking out as he knows his back is done? Maybe he just came back too early and needs to heal more? I say if he is still doing this in another 3 years then he is done, but I'm not ready to say he is truly done yet..

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
It's a little hard to believe, but Tiger hasn't won a major in over six years. I don't remember when his back troubles started, but I don't think it was that long ago. In the last five seasons, he's only won eight tournaments on the tour. Pretty sporty for 99.9% of the rest of the golfing world, but nowhere close to the standard he set for himself.

I don't see him catching JN. My cynical side suspects that he's lost "it", is in denial and is using the back problems as an excuse when things don't go as well as he expects them to. I know the back issues are real, but I wonder if they're a convenient scapegoat to some extent. If the back is really that bad, why in the world would you not shut it down for a year to try to get back to 100%? Or, at least a lot closer than he says it is now.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
He was the PGA player of the year last year. Unreal how fast you be "through" in the media's eyes. That said, Tiger bulking up was the biggest mistake he ever made other than being a total fraud compared to the persona the media created. That consumed him in a profound way.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

He's not been convicted and punished the way Armstrong was, but he had a physician-patient relationship with a Canadian doctor who has been convicted of providing steroids. Golf is too genteel to strip titles the way bicycling does. Their testing is thin to nonexistent. I think one reason is that there's never been a clear showing that the bulk that the various kinds of doping provide really helps a golf game. In fact, as some have said, it may have even been part of TW's problems. EPO for endurance certainly wouldn't help. So it's really a case of guilt by association and appearance. I don't think it's even the main part of the Tiger story. At any rate, he was chasing bulk and was quite open about it. It didn't help him and it may have hurt. I would point out as perhaps a coincidence that being on anabolic steroids is widely known to vastly boost sex drive, perhaps even to the point that Waffle House waitresses even start looking good before 2:00 AM. Whatever, it's a sad story. Crashing your van in your front yard and passing out and going to sleep on the spot pretty much says it all...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.