Tony Stewart hits, kills driver in sprint car race

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I know I shouldn't, but I watched Cowherd's afternoon show. I heard him say that he heard the two cars before Tony put on their brakes, he then heard Tony Rev his motor. Doubting this statement I watched the video 10 more times. There is no way he heard those cars put on their brakes on a wet dirt track. None. I also noticed the 45 car, the car before Tony , fishtailed a little as it passed KW. Question is, why would cowherd make this up? To sensationalize the story to his audience, the majority of which do not follow Nascar ? , and would not really care to watch the video.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I heard him say that he heard the two cars before Tony put on their brakes, he then heard Tony Rev his motor.
He is full of it. There is no way to know who hits their brakes unless you see tires lock up or the sprint car considerably slows down and you see others pass the car in question. You wont hear them hit the brakes as the sounds of the revving of the motors would drown that out quickly. Cowherd is just trying to stir people up and get his show going, that is all. I'm willing to bet Cowherd has never seen a WoO sprint car race or 360/410 sprint race in his life except for this clip.

Like you said bamaga all people need to do is watch the 45 and it will tell them that the drivers COULD NOT see this guy until they got up on him. The 45 was almost the car to hit him as well.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Ok , and there are reasons I watch the show, but cowherd today took the Tony Stewart story as an opportunity to slam the South, Saying people from the south are slower and insular. He evidenced this with statistics about execution rates in the South vs the NE. And Unfavorable Nascar demographics, i.e. southern demographics as Nascar is a Southern sport. He sourced his info, but a google search turned up demographics from other sources very different from the ones used. It is amazing to me that in an era of PC, enlightenment and intellect that much of the country still cling to old Southern Stereotypes.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
That is what is driving some of us crazy, most seem to have never seen a winged sprint car race in their life yet they make comments about him being able to see this kid from across the race track. It's getting crazy. Also I'm no audio expert but chances are you will hear the cars coming out of 4 if you are sitting on the front stretch before you would hear Tony Stewart's car. They are on and off the throttle even while under caution. These cars have to be push started and you have to keep them running.

And the point of someone mentioning he could have stopped proves my point even more on this subject.

1. Some have no idea about winged sprint cars (the make up, how they drive, etc.)
2. Some have not watched the WHOLE incident
3. Sprint cars are NOT going to stop on a dime
4. Stewart was NOT the only one that almost hit the driver, we were inches away from 45 being the culprit

To swoop, yes you have to throttle these cars big time. You throttle them up to bring the rear around and of course turn the wheel to the right (sometimes back and forth) and stay in your line. It's basically drifting on concrete except you are on dirt/clay. These are direct drive cars and have to be push started if they stall or if they are ready to race. They are nothing like a real car. The sight lines are totally different from what you would think of in a real car. The wings also move around to get downforce on different parts of the sprint car, which are controlled by the driver. Most of the weight I do believe is all on the right side along with HUGE right rear tires so they more than likely feel like they always want to turn right instead of going straight like a regular car would want to do. They must weigh 1,400 pounds with the driver in it and they have 850+ horsepower so you can imagine that is one scary ride I'm sure.

Don't forget that there is a plexiglass windshield with a net or a metal cage behind it further obscuring vision, plus a dirt track kicking up debris, a helmet with a plexiglass screen, it was night and the other driver was in all black. Add in a throttle steering car, all manor of driver safety systems like a HANS device which makes it near impossible to turn your head and a driver focused on winning a race not looking for people walking on the track and we can see exactly what happened here.

I'm not a Nascar fan and I only know Tony Stewart by his badguy reputation but to me this is clearly the other guys fault. Walking out onto an active track in all black suit at night? Stupid

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Ok , and there are reasons I watch the show, but cowherd today took the Tony Stewart story as an opportunity to slam the South, Saying people from the south are slower and insular. He evidenced this with statistics about execution rates in the South vs the NE. And Unfavorable Nascar demographics, i.e. southern demographics as Nascar is a Southern sport. He sourced his info, but a google search turned up demographics from other sources very different from the ones used. It is amazing to me that in an era of PC, enlightenment and intellect that much of the country still cling to old Southern Stereotypes.
What amazes me is those who are supposedly so against stereotypes and "profiling" are the main ones who carry this open opinion about the south.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Exactly that is the reason that I drop my southern accent out of the South...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
How did you do it? I've been out of what I would call the "Deep South" for 18 years and my accent is just as thick as it was then. Shreveport is a melting pot of people from all outside the South. You don't here the accents as you do in MS. No where close. But over the years I've kept my accent.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
funny, I lay the accent on thick when I'm doing sales calls in New York or anywhere else in the North and though I've lived in the South most of my life I'm a Yankee by birth. I find that the technical acumen makes up for the perception of idiocy and that by letting some conclude that I am a "slow dumb southerner" I can easily outwit and out negotiate most of them :) Use the tools you have

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Didn't this happen in New York?
Yes it did, and Tony Stewart is from Indiana.

. While in he Navy, I was up for a teaching position . I had an interview with a board of experts . Although I was by far the least experienced candidate, I was told I got the job because of my 'neutral' Midwest accent. They were shocked to learn I was from Alabama.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Not only is Stewart from Indiana, he grew up in the Indy Car circuit before switching to stock cars.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think one of the biggest unintentional insults I ever received was in Austria from a guy from Chicago. The family was investigating staying at a B&B we were staying, outside Salzburg. The owner, Mrs. Kranebitter, spoke almost no English at all, so she came and fetched me to interpret. (She served mostly Germans.) It was rather complex, because she was full. However, she had a friend about a block away and she wanted it explained that they could look at the rooms and decide whether they wanted to stay. I interpreted. The same talent that allows me to change my accent also allows me to speak German without accent or imitate the accent of the region I'm in. When we were through, the father asked me where I was from and I replied "Alabama." He appeared astounded. He actually said "How can anybody from Alabama speak German that well?" I just replied "A hell of a lot better than anyone from Chicago." (They can't drop that hard "r" sound which doesn't exist in German...)

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Time to Lay Off Tony Stewart

Everything about the car is calibrated to make it turn left. The driver quickly steers to the right while punching the throttle, which makes the car turn left, with the rear wheels sliding constantly toward the outside of the track.Drivers know that technique as "turning right to go left" in a sprint car. On asphalt, it's rarely the fastest way through a corner. On dirt, it's the only way.

So the physics gave Stewart no avenue of escape in the agonizing milliseconds after his recognition that the black form suddenly standing directly in front of him on the track was driver Kevin Ward Jr.

If he mashed the throttle, the rear end would have come around. If he jumped off the throttle, it would have done the same thing.
Further complicating things was the likelihood that in the instant before the collision Stewart was looking down, checking his gauges during the yellow flag, or pulling his racing harness tighter. That's what drivers do during caution periods.

What he would never expect at such a moment would be a driver in a black helmet and driving suit standing in the middle of the track.

Remember, a racing sprint car is steered almost entirely with the gas pedal, not the steering wheel. Not even a great driver like Stewart could have avoided Ward, who sadly put himself in the most dangerous place he could possibly be in that moment.
It's bad enough that the ambulance-chasers will have a field day in the court system for years to come with this case. Nobody but the lawyers will win, regardless of the verdicts.

But it's absolutely nauseating to listen to click-hounds posing as experts who obviously have no clue what they are talking about.
That Stewart has been a hot-head on and off the track has zero relevance to the situation in New York, though its irresistible to some professional journalists who are supposedly paid to get the facts.

The fact is that even if Stewart had instead been a saint all of those years, it is all but certain he still would not have been able to avoid hitting Ward.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
It continues to amaze me how the media and individuals in the media openly degrades the south with stereotypical language and nothing is seen wrong about it. Someone posted on here about Colin Cowherd's take on the TS incident. I was able to watch it last night and it was borderline bigotry. Over and over he made assertions about the "The south" that if the same thing was said about any other part of the country there would have been a media meltdown on intolerance and bigotry. It dang near made me sick.

I think one of the biggest unintentional insults I ever received was in Austria from a guy from Chicago. The family was investigating staying at a B&B we were staying, outside Salzburg. The owner, Mrs. Kranebitter, spoke almost no English at all, so she came and fetched me to interpret. (She served mostly Germans.) It was rather complex, because she was full. However, she had a friend about a block away and she wanted it explained that they could look at the rooms and decide whether they wanted to stay. I interpreted. The same talent that allows me to change my accent also allows me to speak German without accent or imitate the accent of the region I'm in. When we were through, the father asked me where I was from and I replied "Alabama." He appeared astounded. He actually said "How can anybody from Alabama speak German that well?" I just replied "A hell of a lot better than anyone from Chicago." (They can't drop that hard "r" sound which doesn't exist in German...)

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It continues to amaze me how our the media and individuals in the media openly degrades the south with stereotypical language and nothing is seen wrong about it. Someone posted on here about Colin Cowherd's take on the TS incident. I was able to watch it last night and it was borderline bigotry. Over and over he made assertions about the "The south" that if the same thing was said about any other part of the country there would have been a media meltdown on intolerance and bigotry. It dang near made me sick.
It is no different than racism. Their belief is that we are basically genetically inferior to them. Not every northerner feels this way, of course. But I have no patience for people like Cowherd.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
I hope the stereotype of "dumb southern rednecks" continues to be believed. If it keeps the type of people who believe it away I will wear it with pride.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.