Tony Stewart hits, kills driver in sprint car race

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
I just woke up to see this on twitter. I can't believe all the Nascar fans defending him. Honestly, I am not a fan of Nascar...but I have seen his temper many times before.

I don't know if he meant to hurt him...but he did and it does look a little fishy. Yeah the guy should never have been on the track and try to provoke him. But that doesn't mean Tony shouldn't be held accountable for this.

He should definitely not race today. If anything, out of respect. He just killed someone yesterday. Shouldn't he be a mess?
I agree 100%

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The video of the accident is on YouTube. It looked intentional to me. The other driver had bumped Stewart several times and Stewart is known to have a bad temper. I'm not saying he tried to kill him, but Stewart didn't look like he tried to avoid him on the video I saw.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
The video of the accident is on YouTube. It looked intentional to me. The other driver had bumped Stewart several times and Stewart is known to have a bad temper. I'm not saying he tried to kill him, but Stewart didn't look like he tried to avoid him on the video I saw.
I watched the same video, and since the camera is zoomed on Ward, you really can't tell what Stewart is doing or not doing to avoid hitting him. You can see Ward aggressively maneuvering on foot to try to stop or block Stewart though.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I watched the same video, and since the camera is zoomed on Ward, you really can't tell what Stewart is doing or not doing to avoid hitting him. You can see Ward aggressively maneuvering on foot to try to stop or block Stewart though.
I just feel like a skilled driver such as Stewart would have seen and could have avoided him. I may be wrong but those are my thoughts at the moment.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I just feel like a skilled driver such as Stewart would have seen and could have avoided him. I may be wrong but those are my thoughts at the moment.
This guy wanders into the middle of the track in a black firesuit, Stewart's windshield is likely filthy, and these cars don't handle like a Toyota Camry on asphalt.

I have a hard time blaming Stewart.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This guy wanders into the middle of the track in a black firesuit, Stewart's windshield is likely filthy, and these cars don't handle like Toyota Camry's on asphalt.

I have a hard time blaming Stewart.
There were plenty of other cars who didn't hit him. I'm just saying that TS has a history of a bad temper and the driver he hit, TS had beef with. Was it intentional? We'll never know...

venegoni

Scout Team
Mar 18, 2007
This is like getting road rage and jumping out of your car on I65 and being surprised a semi plowed you over. The guy used bad judgement and paid for it. If he would have stayed in his car he would still be alive and could beat Stewart down in the pit area.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Fwiw, looking at the track from a still camera sitting up on a pole is a heck of a lot different from that from behind the wheel of a winged Sprint car racing a bunch of others, and at what we consider interstate speeds no less, on a dirt track at night.
This is jmho, but I think ample consideration should be given to the situation before castigating a driver for his role in what was most likely an unfortunate accident.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
It's absolutely impossible to tell from the video posted overnight anything other than Ward put himself in an extremely dangerous situation and was being very reckless. We can't see what TS is doing to avoid him and can only see just as KWJ is being hit. It is likely Stewart thought he was past when he accelerated and then stopped just up the track when he realized he had actually hit him.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Pure speculation on my part, but I wouldn't be the in the least surprised if Stewart saw him, and tried to get absolutely as close to him as possible, maybe even bump him, but miscalculated a little bit.

However, from the initial cell phone video that I've seen, it's impossible to say for sure. We'll see if other videos that might be
out there are any more conclusive.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Pure speculation on my part, but I wouldn't be the in the least surprised if Stewart saw him, and tried to get absolutely as close to him as possible, maybe even bump him, but miscalculated a little bit.

However, from the initial cell phone video that I've seen, it's impossible to say for sure. We'll see if other videos that might be
out there are any more conclusive.
That's pretty much what I was saying earlier. Not saying TS tried to kill him but as you say wanted to nudge him and/or get as close to him as possible. The guy was an idiot for getting out of his car though..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
He was hit with the right rear tire. If I had to speculate based on that, Stewart saw him, swerved to avoid him, and when he did, his right rear tire kicked out and caught the kid. That seems far more likely than Stewart doing it on purpose or deciding to bump him or brush him back at a rather high speed, in the very brief time he would have had to make such a decision,
Yea TS history would say otherwise. Several articles just like this one. He has a severe anger management issue. http://nascar.about.com/od/drivers/a/tonyanger0604.htm

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.