Tony Stewart hits, kills driver in sprint car race

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...n-ward-canandaigua-motorsports-park/13855401/

A race car driver was killed Saturday night after he was struck on the track by NASCAR star Tony Stewart, according to Ontario County (N.Y.) Sheriff Philip C. Povero.During a sprint car race at Canandaigua (N.Y.) Motorsports Park, driver Kevin Ward Jr. was spun out by Stewart, got out of his car to show his displeasure and then was struck by Stewart's car, sending Ward sliding down the track, fellow sprint car racer Tyler Graves and witness Adam Dulski told USA TODAY Sports.
Povero confirmed the driver was taken by ambulance to Thompson Health and was pronounced dead on arrival.
Very sad.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I refuse to believe that Tony Stewart, or any other professional race driver, would intentionally hit another driver who is standing/walking on the track.
Also, it was at night, the track was dark, dust was flying from around the racing vehicles, the guy was dressed in a dark suit with a dark helmet, and he was out walking on the track.
As much as the other driver's death saddens me, it doesn't mitigate the fact that he had no business getting out of his vehicle and walking out onto an active track.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I watched the video and it is hard to tell if Stewart could have avoided hitting him. But walking onto a race track is stupid.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Hard for me to tell from the video -- but was Stewart trying to spray the guy with dirt when he went by?

I agree - that other driver shouldn't have walked onto the track and into the path of oncoming race cars. That was very irresponsible.

RIP :(

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I just woke up to see this on twitter. I can't believe all the Nascar fans defending him. Honestly, I am not a fan of Nascar...but I have seen his temper many times before.

I don't know if he meant to hurt him...but he did and it does look a little fishy. Yeah the guy should never have been on the track and try to provoke him. But that doesn't mean Tony shouldn't be held accountable for this.

He should definitely not race today. If anything, out of respect. He just killed someone yesterday. Shouldn't he be a mess?

pluckngrit

Suspended
Nov 2, 2003
He sure swerved in there close when he went by the kid. Its not like the world doesn't know Stewart is a hothead either. But in the end, little guy was not smart to be running around acting all tough only to be run over dead like a rag doll.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I just woke up to see this on twitter. I can't believe all the Nascar fans defending him. Honestly, I am not a fan of Nascar...but I have seen his temper many times before.

I don't know if he meant to hurt him...but he did and it does look a little fishy. Yeah the guy should never have been on the track and try to provoke him. But that doesn't mean Tony shouldn't be held accountable for this.

He should definitely not race today. If anything, out of respect. He just killed someone yesterday. Shouldn't he be a mess?
His spokesperson says he will race...

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
IMHO he has to race - if he didn't it would "give the appearance" he feels guilty and/or responsible to some degree in the death.

Just my take on why that decision was made from a PR (and maybe legal) perspective.

Even if this was 100% an accident....he did just kill a man yesterday. He should at least not race out of respect.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Even if this was 100% an accident....he did just kill a man yesterday. He should at least not race out of respect.
Heck, "Trooper" Sean Thornton (John Wayne) quit the ring and went all the way to Ireland after he killed a guy.

Okay, a frivolous example from a film, but the Thornton character was acting on the sentiment you just described, which is real.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Heck, "Trooper" Sean Thornton (John Wayne) quit the ring and went all the way to Ireland after he killed a guy.

Okay, a frivolous example from a film, but the Thornton character was acting on the sentiment you just described, which is real.
In a real-life example, Ray "Boom-Boom" Mancini went into a deep depression and nearly retired after killing a man in the ring in the early 80s. He took a great deal of time off and was never the same after he re-entered the ring.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.