News Article: NASCAR's Tony Stewart hits, kills driver at dirt-track race in New York

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
It was a tragedy for the racer to loose his life at 20. I still watch NASCAR but its not it is the sport of the 70 and 80's when I followed watched every race on ESPN and used a VCR to record the race so I didn't miss any wrecks ( the Alabama Gang was in their heyday). I can recall many incidences of fighting like at Daytona race where Cale Yarborough "Kept hitting his face with my fist " Bobby Allison was quoted after the race when asked about the fight.

The writer of the story make a pithy comments about how many fights would we have on you tube if we had Iphones back when that happened. Well I for one am mighty glad we didnt. I went watch races when I went to Talladega and Daytona and not post what we had for dinner at the Waffle House at 3 am the nite before the race . If I wanted pictures of the races I took my camera. Seems our generation did just fine without Facebook and Iphones. There was always a guy who would develop you 35mm roll of film from the infield at Talledega, and you the girls didnt have to worry if Daddy would see what they wore or did not wear at the race.

As you can tell by now , I think she is another reporter making pithy comments to sell papers . And sponsors and track owners wonder why Nascar ratings are in the toilet. The stands are 50% empty at many of the races. Ask the drivers over 40 like Stewart, or Rusty Wallace (retired) and they will tell you corporate Americas marketing machine drives Nascar not the drivers. You cant tell which pretty boy driver, drives which model of car because they are not stock cars . I could look at the car on tv ( no HD flat screens back in the day) and tell you what kinda car they driving . I haven't been able to in 20 years.

So her article has valid points , but one she didn't ask is why a hot headed 20 year old is out of his car on a dirt track, at nite in a black suit , black helment on a lighted Dirt track with cars still diving around at 60 to 80 mph under the caution flag. He is standing in the middle of the track pointing at a driver that allegedly put him in the wall the previous lap. She did mention the fact he was out of his car and why was he. That to me is the story and his tragic loss of life. There were no HD cameras or ESPN commentators there to give us a play by play , just some one with a camcorder who caught the horrible accident of a kid dead at 20 because he didn't use his head. And post it on UTUBE.

I am not a fan of many (one or two) of the drivers on the Nascar circuit today. So this not me taking up for a rich spoiled race care driver who makes 12.6 million a year. So here he is on some hole in the wall dirt track in New York State on Saturday nite enjoying what he loves to do, and because of his temper he could have possible ran over Mr Kevin Ward because he called Tony Stewart out.

On second thought the writer is Very cute. We do have another race at Talladega in October, maybe she would like to come to race and meet a few of us Nascar fans in the infield and pose for some shots we could all use out IPhones take some shots and post on he Faceboot and twit about the race. Give me another Coors Light.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
As you can tell by now , I think she is another reporter making pithy comments to sell papers . And sponsors and track owners wonder why Nascar ratings are in the toilet. The stands are 50% empty at many of the races. Ask the drivers over 40 like Stewart, or Rusty Wallace (retired) and they will tell you corporate Americas marketing machine drives Nascar not the drivers. You cant tell which pretty boy driver, drives which model of car because they are not stock cars . I could look at the car on tv ( no HD flat screens back in the day) and tell you what kinda car they driving . I haven't been able to in 20 years.
Something's got to give, maybe I'm wrong but I don't think NASCAR will survive on TV, baseball has, so maybe iNASCAR will too. Watkins Glen was a crashing bore, no pun intended,except for the last 2 laps. SMH
That said it was a tragedy to lose a life over something as trivial...or anything at age 20.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.