****2014 Crown Jewel Countdown: #10 - DE/LB - Christian Miller****

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

Scouting Report
Miller is one of the top pass rushers in the 2014 class. With a late birthday, he's also one of the youngest. He's a South Carolina legacy (his father was a Gamecock DE/LB from 1988-90, and spent 8 years with the NY Giants). He racked up 24 sacks as a senior at Spring Valley and was a force off the edge. He's a bit lanky for his 6’4” frame and could stand to put on some muscle.

BigEasyTider's Take
Very smart kid (3.9+ GPA) with some really electric pass rushing abilities (24 sacks as a senior), and a legitimate NFL pedigree (father played several years for the Giants). What more could you ask for? Big pull here, too, getting the top player out of South Carolina, getting him to flip from Florida, and keeping him away from UGA down the stretch.

Concern in the short-term is that Miller is a tad bit undersized, even considering that we are trying to get smaller now to better defend spread and HUNH teams. He needs a redshirt year to add 15-20 pounds of muscle, and he's actually voluntarily wanting to accept a redshirt, which is an extreme rarity and shows you what kind of head he has on his shoulders. From an intellect and maturity standpoint, he's certainly no typical 18 year old.

We'll see how he fits in during the 2015 season, but the sky is absolutely the ceiling here for Miller. Not sure how well he ultimately ends up against the run, but his pass rushing abilities ought to bring tremendous value in 2015 and beyond. He could possibly be a three-year player.

runtheoption22's Take
We are entering the part of the countdown where we have to start mentioning names that COULD be those added to Tide lore. Miller has the pedigree and skills that could equate into dominance. This was an extremely great grab from GA and SC, and really should open eyes to how good this class is with him at #10. If he gets it, adds bulk, and keeps his speed....look out SEC.

WMack4Bama's Take
A natural for Alabama's Jack linebacker position. He's rangy, super fast,and he's a sure tackler. His strength is rushing the QB but he can also play in space, which makes him valuable because he can slide to the SAM spot while Rashaan Evans plays the Jack. He's also very mature as he's been very vocal about taking his first season to redshirt and adjust to the college game and college life. Adding more muscle wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing as he's pretty wiry right now (kind of like ex-Bama tackling machine Brooks Daniels), but if he's called into duty this season, I think he'll wind up as an elite player at one or both of the outside linebacker positions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I was so glad we held on to this guy to the end. He could be a really good one.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
If I remember he had a really strong finish to his senior year. He'll be a grinder. If he adds a lot of weight, could you see him develop into a DE? Does he have the frame to add the weight needed?

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Idk but he looks like he could grow into a Jason Taylor type body with his height.

Tidefan1

Scout Team
Aug 21, 2013
If I remember he had a really strong finish to his senior year. He'll be a grinder. If he adds a lot of weight, could you see him develop into a DE? Does he have the frame to add the weight needed?
He'll be an outside linebacker. That's where he's needed and will be very effective. No way he grows into a 3-4 end.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
TF1 is right above, I just can't see that happening under any circumstance. He'd have to add 60-70 pounds to his current weight to do that, and it would just be a huge surprise if that were to happen.

I think his ideal playing weight is somewhere around 235-240 pounds, and he can feasibly be at that point by next August.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.