Cop in MO kills unarmed black teen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
when we equip law enforcement officers like this, its not too hard to believe anything.

Unfortunately they have to because a lot of the criminals they go up against are armed with more than just a 9 mm. I've got two good friends on SWAT teams in two different states. Both tell of very similar stories. When you start dealing with drugs and drug dealers you better come with your big boy toys or you'll be over matched with what they bring to the party.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
Unfortunately they have to because a lot of the criminals they go up against are armed with more than just a 9 mm. I've got two good friends on SWAT teams in two different states. Both tell of very similar stories. When you start dealing with drugs and drug dealers you better come with your big boy toys or you'll be over matched with what they bring to the party.
I'm not surprised they told you that. That's the standard BS line that's trotted out by cops who fancy themselves as a paramilitary organization fighting a war. I bet your friends wear military style jumpsuits, too.

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
fine, but then they should only be used against violent drug dealers and gangs. Not middle class people with illegal range rovers.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Agree to disagree. I live outside a major metro area with lots of violence (second highest violent crime rate in the country) and the cops here aren't militarized.

They rationalize the use of this sort of stuff, along with no-knock warrants, etc due to their 'need for safety', while the the average number of officers killed is about the same as it was 100 years ago - despite the fact that the US population has more than tripled.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I hear that as a reason but have never seen any actual evidence to back it up

Line of duty police deaths have remained pretty steady for the last hundred years or so, outside of friends in the force anectdotes I would love to see evidence to support the claims

here are the numbers of fatalities since 1791 http://www.nleomf.org/facts/officer-fatalities-data/year.html

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
This was a post by DBF a few months back in a thread about the militarization of police. Seems spot on with what we are seeing in Ferguson:

Despite what others say, the police are gearing up for mass crowd control even in small towns. As much as I hate to say it, it's this attitude by cops that pushes people like the nutburgers in Vegas over the edge to do what they do. It's an almost unstoppable, downward spiral and at some point the two sides will meet and it won't be pretty.
http://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224276&highlight=

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Obama out here dancing while a national tragedy. As a young black man I also feel very uncomfortable about this whole situation.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Often the media has an agenda, to make the story bigger. Which picture is chosen will be whichever one makes the story more sensational.
well, the ferguson pd is making sure no media agendas will make the story bigger

Ryan Reilly of the Huffington Post and Wesley Lowery of the Washington Post, reporting from the scene in Ferguson, relayed their encounters with the police via social media. It appears they were both arrested at a local McDonald's and later released without being charged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.