Cop in MO kills unarmed black teen

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
I feel so bad the kid lost his life. And i still think the officer that killed him should pay dearly. But like i always tell my son. and i am by no means saying he got what he deserved. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It is worth noting that some of the published pictures of Michael Brown have turned out to not be of Michael Brown...or at least the same Michael Brown.
I expect that it will all be sorted out. The one I saw certainly looked like him. He's really big. That really doesn't touch Liz's observation that the conduction of the robbery and the subsequent events border on being bizarre...

That's been my concern. Based on the video of the "kid" in the store and the way he grabbed and pushed the employee/owner, I think he's a punk. Does that warrant shooting? Not by the cop per se, by the employee/owner being assaulted, absolutely. He had 100 lbs on the employee he shoved. I could definitely see a "feared for my life" statement made for a self-defense shooting by the employee/owner.

We need more information on the police shooting to know if it was justified or not. I'm still struggling with it.
Yeah, there is some disconnect here that I'm just not getting.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I haven't read the entire thread, so SIAP, but I consider having only 3 black officers in a 52 man force, in a city with a 2/3rds black population is basically insanity. It guarantees a huge chasm between the police authority and the populace. So far as I know, every patrol here into a predominately black neighborhood has one black officer and one white. It just makes sense. A couple of years ago, I had a client who is black call me with an unusual query. A suspect had ducked into their driveway and the first thing they knew about it was loud banging on their front door, with demands to enter. He let them in, because he felt they would probably forcibly enter, if he didn't, since they thought he was housing a fugitive suspect. I'm not going to drag this on out, but, to put it shortly, the officers handled the whole matter poorly. My client is in his upper '70s, not well, and is well-respected. I did ask him the race of the two officers, and, as I expected one was white and one was black. Out of curiosity, I asked him if he would have felt worse if both officers were white. After several moments of thought, he said yeah, it would have been worse. I managed to get the mayor to apologize to him and that papered over the affair, more or less. Just something to think about. Los Angeles learned this lesson after the Watts riots...

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I haven't read the entire thread, so SIAP, but I consider having only 3 black officers in a 52 man force, in a city with a 2/3rds black population is basically insanity. It guarantees a huge chasm between the police authority and the populace. So far as I know, every patrol here into a predominately black neighborhood has one black officer and one white. It just makes sense. A couple of years ago, I had a client who is black call me with an unusual query. A suspect had ducked into their driveway and the first thing they knew about it was loud banging on their front door, with demands to enter. He let them in, because he felt they would probably forcibly enter, if he didn't, since they thought he was housing a fugitive suspect. I'm not going to drag this on out, but, to put it shortly, the officers handled the whole matter poorly. My client is in his upper '70s, not well, and is well-respected. I did ask him the race of the two officers, and, as I expected one was white and one was black. Out of curiosity, I asked him if he would have felt worse if both officers were white. After several moments of thought, he said yeah, it would have been worse. I managed to get the mayor to apologize to him and that papered over the affair, more or less. Just something to think about. Los Angeles learned this lesson after the Watts riots...
Tide1986 posted this article a few pages back. I think this shows the rather quick demographic changes of Ferguson.

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2014-08-14/change-and-chaos-in-ferguson

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Tide1986 posted this article a few pages back. I think this shows the rather quick demographic changes of Ferguson.

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2014-08-14/change-and-chaos-in-ferguson
Very interesting article. I had no idea of that rapidity of change, although my son used to live in Creve Coeur (sp?) and my SIL in the western suburbs. However, I think that just makes it more imperative to have the rubber which meets the road be representative. I don't think it has to be one on one representative. You just have to strive harder for balance. Otherwise, you run the risk of the way the Jews and others felt about the Roman centurions, when they had Roman sandal heels on their necks. It's really just common sense...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
True, but it may reflect on the victim's potential state of mind at the time of the subsequent confrontation with the cop who killed him.
it is starting to appear that the video/info about the robbery was only released to deflect attention from the shooting. this is based on the conflicting statements by the chief today.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
We need more information on the police shooting to know if it was justified or not. I'm still struggling with it.
If Brown was moving away from the officer, especially there was no obvious weapon, there's nothing to struggle with - it's a bad shoot.

Anyone who has their handgun carry permit knows the drill - you shoot to stop an immediate threat. Someone moving away from you is not an immediate threat, I don't care if they just pummeled you.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
it is starting to appear that the video/info about the robbery was only released to deflect attention from the shooting. this is based on the conflicting statements by the chief today.
This may well be true. In fact, I suppose it was in part. However, if the kid had survived, I can guarantee you it would have been introduced into evidence. He would have been charged with robbery and with resisting arrest. The video would have been introduced as material to his attitude when the arrest occurred. There's no denying he had stolen goods in his possession. I don't know how MO's FOI laws work - they vary from state to state - but I think the police chief was telling the truth when he said that he had no choice but to release it...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If Brown was moving away from the officer, especially there was no obvious weapon, there's nothing to struggle with - it's a bad shoot.

Anyone who has their handgun carry permit knows the drill - you shoot to stop an immediate threat. Someone moving away from you is not an immediate threat, I don't care if they just pummeled you.
I agree. If he shot in anger after being roughed up and the killing shot were clearly in the back, then definitely bad shoot. I would point out that I've read that one of the witnesses was the kid who was with him when he took the cigars. If the officer were placed on trial, I'm sure the defense would take the position that his testimony should be discounted or completely ignored, and it probably would be by a jury...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Deflection tactic.
Hey, if 92 can use a rhetorical device that doesn't tell the whole story, so can I.

Neither should have taken place. One is simply an emotion reaction to another.
Amazingly enough, you apparently think you know everything that happened here in the actual shooting - I'm actually willing to not believe the initial media reports and get the facts before stating an opinion. Because until you know what actually happened, you have no earthly idea what should have taken place and neither does anyone else.

I'm not saying rioting is right.
I would note you're also not condemning it if that's how you want to play the game. If anyone is stupid enough to rouse a riot given the artillery hardware and stuff we've talked about the cops having earlier, then it's pretty hard to feel sorry for them when they get gassed. Most of those folks don't have any idea what ACTUALLY happened. And after watching a number of the screeching reactions to the Zimmerman verdict, it's fair to ask who actually gives a rip.

It simply shouldn't be a surprise considering how many other of these incidents have happened lately.

If you keep picking on a group of people, at some point there will be retaliation.
I love how often "the black community" is always represented as "a group of people." Maybe if some bad apples were actually condemned by the same "community organizers" who thrive on stirring racial tension (and keeping their jobs, maybe white cops and black community organizers could actually come to the sort of understanding that would prevent more of these things from happening.

But none of that matters, which is the problem I have with it. You simply throw in the words "white cop shoots black unarmed suspect" and away it goes. Never mind whatever the truth is. Note that at no time have I taken the cops side here because I'm still waiting it out. But the media circus mimicking "Bonfire of the Vanities" is getting pretty old, too.

According to the Police Dept. "But the officer who shot Brown was unaware that the 18-year-old was a suspect in the robbery of the nearby convenience store, Ferguson Police Chief Tom Jackson said at a news conference. Rather, Officer Darren Wilson, 28, shot and killed Michael Brown during an altercation after Wilson asked Brown to move out of the street onto a sidewalk, Jackson said. 'He was walking down the middle of the street blocking traffic. That was it,' Jackson said."

Source:http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/15/us-usa-missouri-shooting-idUSKBN0GF0LP20140815

SO, he didn't know anything about the robbery? Hmmm... sounds like he was trying to use intimidation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.