Cop in MO kills unarmed black teen

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I haven't looked at the news in a while because of all of this crap. My question now is, are they still looting?

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...
I believe that's it's largely stopped. The crowds have calmed down and, frankly, most things worth taking are already gone and many merchants have simply boarded up their shops. I dread the outcome if he's no-billed or acquitted, though...

I believe that's it's largely stopped. The crowds have calmed down and, frankly, most things worth taking are already gone and many merchants have simply boarded up their shops. I dread the outcome if he's no-billed or acquitted, though...
They may not want to loot if that's the case. They'll be ready for the rioters this time.

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
But if it's right, it's right regardless of what the mob thinks. We just need the facts to come out. If they riot, they're only further destroy their own community.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I have to admit, I'm surprised (and quite pleased) that the release of the shooting of the second black man doesn't seem to have further inflamed these protests - I fully expected things to sling out of control up there for a few days when that video was released.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
If they riot, I hope there are a lot more dead than one 18 year old boy.
Sorry, and I know that sounds bad, but after the threats from the OJ case, I'm all for taking out anyone who does anything like that again. If we are to be a society of rules and laws, then IMO it must be so.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I have to admit, I'm surprised (and quite pleased) that the release of the shooting of the second black man doesn't seem to have further inflamed these protests - I fully expected things to sling out of control up there for a few days when that video was released.
Yeah, that one's a bit more inflammatory, frankly. I realize that the guy had some kind of knife, but the police did not appear to do anything to attempt to defuse the situation.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Yeah, that one's a bit more inflammatory, frankly. I realize that the guy had some kind of knife, but the police did not appear to do anything to attempt to defuse the situation.
Anyone who has done any real handgun training knows the Tueller Drill (most people do not) - basically, if someone with a knife is 20' or closer to you, they can get to you and cut you before you can draw and fire one accurate shot on target. I think that's why they reacted - normal vests (without plates) do nothing to stop a knife...

That said, I can't fathom using deadly force as a first response when he was obviously unstable - what modern police force doesn't employ tasters?

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Anyone who has done any real handgun training knows the Tueller Drill (most people do not) - basically, if someone with a knife is 20' or closer to you, they can get to you and cut you before you can draw and fire one accurate shot on target. I think that's why they reacted - normal vests (without plates) do nothing to stop a knife...

That said, I can't fathom using deadly force as a first response when he was obviously unstable - what modern police force doesn't employ tasters?
:conf2:

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

I get that they should have drawn their weapons immediately, and there's no way this can turn out any way other than a clean shoot.

But as you say, why not use a taser? The police chief said that tasers aren't reliable.

here's a pretty good explanation of what ca said above.

OK, if tasers are not reliable, then why did you buy them in the first place? For that matter, why did they pull up so close to the suspect? They looked to be within 25 feet of the guy when they got out of the car.

Again, I cannot fault the shooting, but at the same time, the video makes the police look very aggressive in a situation perhaps could have been defused.

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
I know I'm sounding like a broken record, and I don't in any way mean to minimize the impact of the looting, etc. that has taken place, but one of the great frustrations of those from here (STL) is that the portrayal of this whole thing has GREATLY exaggerated the portion of what has been going on that is destructive. There are a lot of people stepping up helping with things like kids getting to school (if you want to see something crazy and convoluted, just try to figure out the school deseg program around here), etc. The vast majority of protesters are peaceful, and a lot of them seem to be trying to engage the complicated topics that all of this brings up. A number of them have gone out of their way to confront those who would commit mischief through ignorance or intent.
It is not my intention to romanticize any of this. All it takes is a few poor decisions and any gathering of people can go south quickly (how's that for a casual pejorative?). But while it is certainly fair to call the whole situation tense, the "powder keg" sensationalism has never felt quite right for this one. That's part of why the whole question of whether the police response was escalating or de-escalating the situation has had resonance.

You know, stupid makes for riveting headlines.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I know I'm sounding like a broken record, and I don't in any way mean to minimize the impact of the looting, etc. that has taken place, but one of the great frustrations of those from here (STL) is that the portrayal of this whole thing has GREATLY exaggerated the portion of what has been going on that is destructive. There are a lot of people stepping up helping with things like kids getting to school (if you want to see something crazy and convoluted, just try to figure out the school deseg program around here), etc. The vast majority of protesters are peaceful, and a lot of them seem to be trying to engage the complicated topics that all of this brings up. A number of them have gone out of their way to confront those who would commit mischief through ignorance or intent.
Yes, but that doesn't generate television ratings or 44 page threads on TF NS board.

They are their own worst enemy. When they figure that one out they'll begin making progress as a race in this country. Until then it will be same song same dance over and over.
I don't know how I ran across this but i do want to address something here.

You are mostly right, damn near all the way right. Blacks are mostly all talk and no action. It's not like it use to be in 60s when you had action. Of course they have had the protests but all that marching has done what? Nothing! Nothing but hurt the "community" and more than anything the children. School was out, because of the looting. But Mike was suppose to be this student going to college. Now the kids can't get an education because of idiots. We don't like dialogue because we get hurt over opinions. We lack the courage to take a stand against all violence. We have selective outrage, but we reflect what our "leadership" is (Remember the Titans! Ha). Seriously, a lot of us are waking up, but there's many more going to sleep. I just don't see an end in sight.

All I can do is protect myself, friends and family. I speak to those who will listen, and also listen myself because I don't have all of the answers. Do we as Blacks have all the opportunities Whites do? No, that's just the nature of the beast in the world, but we should lack the common sense to keep going forward. Yet, we display the character of an angry child. Thank you Democratic Party and all of your policies.

Sent from my iPhone

pluckngrit

Suspended
Nov 2, 2003
It is not my intention to romanticize any of this. All it takes is a few poor decisions and any gathering of people can go south quickly (how's that for a casual pejorative?). But while it is certainly fair to call the whole situation tense, the "powder keg" sensationalism has never felt quite right for this one. That's part of why the whole question of whether the police response was escalating or de-escalating the situation has had resonance.

You know, stupid makes for riveting headlines.
You're trying hard but there's no polishing this .....

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Obviously not justification, but this town has more issues than Miley Cyrus.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...down-three-warrants-a-year-per-household.html

Article Above said:
A report issued just last week by the nonprofit lawyer’s group ArchCity Defenders notes that in the court’s 36 three-hour sessions in 2013, it handled 12,108 cases and 24,532 warrants. That is an average of 1.5 cases and three warrants per Ferguson household. Fines and court fees for the year in this city of just 21,000 people totaled $2,635,400.

The sum made the municipal court the city’s second-biggest source of revenue. It also almost certainly was a major factor in the antagonism between the police and the citizenry preceding the tragedy that resulted when Wilson had another encounter with a subject six months after he got his commendation.

And any complete investigation into how Michael Brown came to be sprawled dead in the street with a half-dozen bullet wounds must consider not just the cop but the system he served, a system whose primary components include a minor court that generates major money, much of it from poor and working people.

Five of the six City Council members who meet in this chamber are white, even though the city itself is more than 70 percent black. The City Council appoints the municipal judge, currently Ron Brockmeyer, who is also white.

But when this same chamber serves as Ferguson Municipal Court, a disproportionate number of the defendants are black.

The immediate explanation is that the bulk of the cases arise from car stops. The ArchCity Defenders report notes: “Whites comprise 29% of the population of Ferguson but just 12.7% of vehicle stops. After being stopped in Ferguson, blacks are almost twice as likely as whites to be searched (12.1% vs. 6.9%) and twice as likely to be arrested (10.4% vs. 5.2%).”

Lest anyone contend that blacks inherently merit greater police attention than whites, the report offers another statistic.

“Searches of black individuals result in discovery of contraband only 21.7% of the time, while similar searches of whites produce contraband 34.0% of the time.”

That would suggest both that whites were more likely to be stopped when there was actual probable cause and that blacks were more likely to be stopped when there was not. And the antagonism sure to be generated by such racial disparities was magnified by the sheer number of cases.

The report cites a court employee as saying the docket for a typical three-hour court session has up to 1,500 cases. The report goes on to say that “in addition to such heavy legal prosecution,” the Ferguson court and others like it in nearby towns “engage in a number of operational procedures that make it even more difficult for defendants to navigate the courts.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.