With Our Schedule - And a Weak Lot of opposing QBs - Where do we lose 2 games?

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
It's simple, we might not.

Then again, if we struggle on pass defense like we did last year (or in, say, 2010), crazy things can happen even with marginal-at-best quarterbacks. You're rolling along just fine, you show up to play one afternoon, and all of a sudden some career nobody starts doing a Joe Montana impersonation. Those kind of things happen when you aren't up to par defensively.

Ditto on turnovers, too, and QB play of our own. You're playing some barely .500 team that you ought to steamroll, and next thing you know your QB goes 10-20 for 90 yards and you turn it over four times, and suddenly you are in an ugly nailbiter with a team you ought to beat by 24. Again, things like that just happen.

Again, not saying that any of that will happen, just pointing out that it's a feasible possibility, and not a crazy notion.
We all realize every championship team gets a few lucky breaks along the way. The football has an unusual shape, and it can bounce in an unpredictable way...that's just the nature of the game. We've been very fortunate that the breaks usually went our way the past five years. But that won't always be the case, see last year's Iron Bowl for example.

Saban removes the importance of luck through his preparation, recruiting and general process better than any other coach. But it is still there, and has the ability to bite us when we least expect it.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Dak Prescot and Jeff Driskell
If the dogs beat the barn (they came close last year at the barn), that might be the one game I am worried about (for several reasons, not the least of which is where it falls on Bama's schedule), unless they go through the injury mill like last year. Driskell has been around forever, I don't know if he can suddenly put it all together when he never seemed to be able to find all the pieces in years past.

Bamagator

Scout Team
Jan 12, 2000
The mid-season stretch where 4 out of 5 games are on the road. Say what you will about the relative strengths of those teams, but road games are different. Although we have historically been far better than average on the road, stuff happens. A flat, poor performance you might get away with at home sometimes gets you beat on the road. It's hard to believe Arkansas and Tennessee (and Florida) will be as weak as they have been lately. I think that stretch of road games makes the schedule tougher than popular opinion is making it out to be. And yes, some "unknown" QB seems to have the game of his life against us every now and then. I am setting my betting line for our regular season at 10.5-1.5, and today, would lean to taking the under. Too many unknowns, especially on the offensive line. If that group isn't right, nothing looks good.

Last edited:

buzzman

3rd Team
Jan 18, 2014
Madison, AL
Who would have thought that Trevor knight would have played the way he did in the Sugar Bowl. You just never know. When their QB has a good day and yours has a bad one...oh yeah and that little ball bounces funny sometimes too.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It's simple, we might not.

Then again, if we struggle on pass defense like we did last year (or in, say, 2010), crazy things can happen even with marginal-at-best quarterbacks. You're rolling along just fine, you show up to play one afternoon, and all of a sudden some career nobody starts doing a Joe Montana impersonation. Those kind of things happen when you aren't up to par defensively.

Ditto on turnovers, too, and QB play of our own. You're playing some barely .500 team that you ought to steamroll, and next thing you know your QB goes 10-20 for 90 yards and you turn it over four times, and suddenly you are in an ugly nailbiter with a team you ought to beat by 24. Again, things like that just happen.

Again, not saying that any of that will happen, just pointing out that it's a feasible possibility, and not a crazy notion.
This just about sums it up right there.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
As much as I hate to say it, that dang auburn game worries me more than any other game. They pulled an absolute unheard of fluke, miracle, once in a lifetime type of game ending win over us last year. The odds of one team getting another fluke win over the same team a second year in a row are about 1 in a billion, and even that is probably too high. Plus, this time around, auburn will be the ones having to come to the hostile environment. But, them coming to Tuscaloosa does not put my mind at ease 100%. Yes, we have beaten them 2 of the last 3 times we have hosted them at BDS, however, those two times were against FAR inferior auburn teams that had already quit on their seasons long before the IB. However, the Saban payback factor weighs heavily in our favor. And, consider this, Saban has followed his previous losses to the barn with back to back wins over them. 2008-2009 and 2011-2012. Of course, we have yet to even take the field in 2014, so naturally, a lot will change between now and Thanksgiving weekend.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.