With Our Schedule - And a Weak Lot of opposing QBs - Where do we lose 2 games?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
There is so much under the breath grumbling by some posters that see us losing 2-3 games this year. I kept looking at the schedule and wondering "WHERE?" -- Sugar Bowl aside -- when we lose, it's usually to a QB that's capable of dominating ..... and plays WAY over the top of their abilities.....

I have looked at the schedule and who the QBs that are playing us this year..... Which of this group is capable of dominating us? Driskel? Wallace? Prescott? Marshall? --- We may lose 2 games -- but, when people say stuff like that -- are they just looking at our team and what we've lost? Or are they looking at our opponents and thinking ... "Man, they are really good!" --

I'm guessing very few are looking at our opponents and are amazed by their talent. Keep in mind -- the best news for our defense this year? This list of QBs who we face.....not one single NFL talent on that list.....we'll be fine!

1. Clint Trickett
2. Jacquez Johnson
3. Dustin Almond
4. Jeff Driskel
5. Bo Wallace
6. Brandon Allen
7. Kyle Allen
8. Justin Worley
9. Anthony Jennings
10. Dak Prescott
11. Troy Mitchell
12. Nick Marshall

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
It's simple, we might not.

Then again, if we struggle on pass defense like we did last year (or in, say, 2010), crazy things can happen even with marginal-at-best quarterbacks. You're rolling along just fine, you show up to play one afternoon, and all of a sudden some career nobody starts doing a Joe Montana impersonation. Those kind of things happen when you aren't up to par defensively.

Ditto on turnovers, too, and QB play of our own. You're playing some barely .500 team that you ought to steamroll, and next thing you know your QB goes 10-20 for 90 yards and you turn it over four times, and suddenly you are in an ugly nailbiter with a team you ought to beat by 24. Again, things like that just happen.

Again, not saying that any of that will happen, just pointing out that it's a feasible possibility, and not a crazy notion.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
UT in 2009 is a great example

Poor offensive execution, turnovers, and mental breakdowns at the end almost lost us that game. UT had no business being within 17 points of us. Same goes for AU a few weeks later...they had no business taking us to the wire but they did. That 2009 team was a dang good team...but almost lost to 2 teams we should have beaten by 3+ scores.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Case in point--Remember that Stephen Garcia beat us by two TD's back in 2010. STEPHEN GARCIA. Struggling with unheralded qb's is not a new thing to us.

I think we lose to one of these four teams and another one of them sneaks up on us:

Florida
TAMU
LSU
Barn

Again, I think we'll have a good season, but going undefeated is very, very difficult and I just don't see it happening. Frankly, I'm more worried about our adjustments to the hunh than I am the qb position.

Last edited:

BigGunn

1st Team
Dec 5, 2004
Pace, Florida
Crazy or not, I believe this is going to be as an exciting a team we've fielded in CNS' tenure. The defense is going to be nasty. The corners adequate early on and honed down as the season goes on. JC will win the QB job and have a fairy tale year, as we will probably be putting up 50 per game by the time we go to Baton Rouge. My biggest concern will be the 4th game. Time of possession will be like "11 and the likes of marshall & the rest of the hunh qb's will be running for their collective hide. I do look through Crimson shades but our worries over the O-line are just hangovers from last year. 12-0 looks real to me and will most likely beat SCe for conference crown. Team has the right hunger and attitude going in and CNS has some payback on his mind. Seeding in the playoffs will likely determine how tough the going will be. But no matter. We bring that ugly trophy back to line up with the collection of crystal footballs. Think I'm just dreaming? Well that's how the ball bounces.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I disagree. I think Driskel, Jenning and Marshall has future in NFL. It depends on how well they perform this year. Other than that, I'm not too concerned with the list. Now, keep that in mind, Trickett, Driskel, Wallace, Jenning, Marshall can give us issues with the offense they run. I think right now, it's way too early to predict wins and loss. What we need to do is focus on our team and try to improve game by game.
There is so much under the breath grumbling by some posters that see us losing 2-3 games this year. I kept looking at the schedule and wondering "WHERE?" -- Sugar Bowl aside -- when we lose, it's usually to a QB that's capable of dominating ..... and plays WAY over the top of their abilities.....

I have looked at the schedule and who the QBs that are playing us this year..... Which of this group is capable of dominating us? Driskel? Wallace? Prescott? Marshall? --- We may lose 2 games -- but, when people say stuff like that -- are they just looking at our team and what we've lost? Or are they looking at our opponents and thinking ... "Man, they are really good!" --

I'm guessing very few are looking at our opponents and are amazed by their talent. Keep in mind -- the best news for our defense this year? This list of QBs who we face.....not one single NFL talent on that list.....we'll be fine!

1. Clint Trickett
2. Jacquez Johnson
3. Dustin Almond
4. Jeff Driskel
5. Bo Wallace
6. Brandon Allen
7. Kyle Allen
8. Justin Worley
9. Anthony Jennings
10. Dak Prescott
11. Troy Mitchell
12. Nick Marshall

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Case in point--Remember that Stephen Garcia beat us by two TD's back in 2010. STEPHEN GARCIA. Struggling with unheralded qb's is not a new thing to us.

I think we lose to one of these four teams and another one of them sneaks up on us:

Florida
TAMU
LSU
Barn

Again, I think we'll have a good season, but going undefeated is very, very difficult and I just don't see it happening. Frankly, I'm more worried about our adjustments to the hunh than I am the qb position.
Usually, it's a QB that is very good, but hasn't ever really been able to put it all together. Garcia was highly regarded and recruited and had all the tools. Even the Oklahoma QB was someone that was getting rave reviews but hadn't really put it together on the field yet. Something about playing Alabama gets some of these guys to play up to their potential. It's a decent trade-off, though, because 95% are intimidated before the game ever starts.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Our last seven losses were to Trevor Knight, Nick Marshall, Johnny Manziel, Jordan Jefferson, Cam Newton, Jordan Jefferson/Jarret Lee, and Steven Garcia. How many great QBs did you count? I only counted two.

Yes, most of those QBs played great games even though they didn't have great careers. But that's exactly what scares me. Who knows what undersung QB on our schedule has a Garcia/Mettenburger/Knight performance lurking up their sleeves. Jarret Lee played pretty well against us in 2010. Marshall made some clutch (and tough) throws against us last season. Teams want to beat us badly, and for some reason (lack of pass rush maybe?) we see a lot of QBs play the game of their life against us. I'm hoping Pettway, Allen, Robinson, and Anderson can change that.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I disagree. I think Driskel, Jenning and Marshall has future in NFL. It depends on how well they perform this year. Other than that, I'm not too concerned with the list. Now, keep that in mind, Trickett, Driskel, Wallace, Jenning, Marshall can give us issues with the offense they run. I think right now, it's way too early to predict wins and loss. What we need to do is focus on our team and try to improve game by game.
Marshall's only chance in the NFL is as a safety or corner, probably corner. No chance as a QB.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Our last seven losses were to Trevor Knight, Nick Marshall, Johnny Manziel, Jordan Jefferson, Cam Newton, Jordan Jefferson/Jarret Lee, and Steven Garcia. How many great QBs did you count? I only counted two.

Yes, most of those QBs played great games even though they didn't have great careers. But that's exactly what scares me. Who knows what undersung QB on our schedule has a Garcia/Mettenburger/Knight performance lurking up their sleeves. Jarret Lee played pretty well against us in 2010. Marshall made some clutch (and tough) throws against us last season. Teams want to beat us badly, and for some reason (lack of pass rush maybe?) we see a lot of QBs play the game of their life against us. I'm hoping Pettway, Allen, Robinson, and Anderson can change that.
It cuts both ways. Not too many teams are thinking we will have "great" qb play this year. Can't blame them for thinking that right now. But at some point in this season, whoever wins the starting qb job will probably light another team up and have their "Stephen Garcia" moment.

Hopefully we'll all look back on that game and say that was the game when the "light came on" for Coker/Sims/Bateman and they'll be solid from there on out.

Or, they might have a great game and then turn around and struggle for a few games.

Most people who succeed in their field understand that it's not about being "great" every now and then, it is really about being "good/solid" most of the time.

I'm hoping we can get some "good/solid" most of the time from out qbs this year, but just know that every now and then we'll get a "great" game from an opposing qb who is usually not that good. It's the nature of the beast, especially when everybody wants to beat you cause you are Alabama.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
I'm just waiting for all of the brilliant ones here to bless us with their predicition before I will feel confident about making any kind of prediction on the upcoming season. Too many factors to assess and you can never foresee the effects of the intangibles.

Roll Tide!

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
If we avoid the injury bug (and that doesn't look too promising right now), I believe we have a good chance of running the table. But it all comes down to team chemistry and the will to make your opponent quit. Not sure how all that will work out for us this year. Just hoping these guys come together and have another great season.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
you can never project this far ahead

looking at the 2012 schedule if you'd have told us on 8/11/12 some RS Frosh named John Manziel would beat us we'd have kicked you off the board...

Allen and Allen...either could be the next Manziel/Winston...who knows?

fact is that the best returning QB starters in the SEC are all on the schedule...Wallace, Prescott, Driskell and Marshall

in our last 7 losses I wouldn't have predicted any of those 7 QB's to beat us in the preseason. 4 were first year starters (sCam, Marshall, Knight, johnny), and three never amounted to anything (JJ, Garcia, Lee) before or after their games.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
CNS says it best...
"I's not about what they do, it's about what we do."
Unless there are major injury issues, I don't see any more than one loss, and Bama could easily run the table with only a little luck.
History lends itself to this, as well.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
Looking at any individual opponent, I think we should win (LSU being the toughest match on talent), but the season takes a toll.

There will be unforeseen superstars emerge, unforeseen injuries, and we are circled on every opponent's calendar. We will get the best shot they can bring. Remember the loss to South Carolina in 2010? Garcia played way above anything he'd shown before, and that team played lights out. The next week, they lost to unranked Kentucky.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Of the ones mentioned, I'd say Prescott, Marshall and Wallace are the most likely candidates to give us trouble. They've each got experience in the league and if they've progressed in their ability, then they should provide the stiffest challenge.

But none of the QBs listed make me uneasy, like seeing JFF or Newton on the schedule.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
If we get pressure on the QB, play tight coverage, and our LBs are disciplined in containment, no one will beat us. If we play solid defense, we win out. If we give the QB time to throw it and we give him open men to throw to, or we allow him to make plays with his feet regularly, heck, Kodi Burns could beat us.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
No way,....With all the talent we got, plus a chip on our shoulders, if these boys play to their full potential every Sat., there's NO WAY we lose 2 games. Heck, I think we go undefeated. JMO

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.