Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

Big A How teams like Alabama convince 5-star recruits to commit and sit on the bench

McElroy: "Great play by Hand. Number 1 recruit in the country, he's third string." Bielema: "That's what we tell recruits. You'll be a 3."

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...ay/in/10462747

Not much new info but it is not a long read either
    If there is no God then there is no reason to be an atheist.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: How teams like Alabama convince 5-star recruits to commit and sit on the bench

We now see a similar pattern across multiple positions. You play behind a couple of guys for your first year/year and a half getting more snaps along the way. By the time you're a junior your starting along w/a bunch of other seasoned, talented, players for one of the best teams in the land. You get pub as a junior and have an opportunity to go somewhere in the draft but, hopefully, decide to come back for your senior year to win yet another championship. Your transition to the pros is smooth and your not all beat up. Enough players doing that and anything is possible for the team and the player.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Re: How teams like Alabama convince 5-star recruits to commit and sit on the bench

I went back to 2008 -- and since -- we have 17 - 5* recruits (counting Henry and A'Shawn -- the other 5*s from 2013 are still in school)

Of the 17, only Tyler Love, BJ Scott, Phil Sims, and Eddie Williams are not in the NFL.

The other 13 are: Julio, Trent, Dre, Nico, DJ Fluker, Milliner, Kouandjio, Ha Ha, Depriest, Landon, Yeldon, and soon, Henry and A'Shawn.....

the other 5* from 2013 -- Reuben Foster, Robert Foster, Jonathan Allen, and OJ Howard look like locks (maybe Robert is iffy)....

So, that's looking like 17 of 21 will be in the NFL.

That ain't too shabby.

I read an article where nationwide, 52.2% of 5* get drafted, the SEC rate 53.3%, Bama's rate? 80.9% (when I add in the 4 still in school) or 76% overall....
    Last edited by CajunCrimson; January 27th, 2016 at 08:57 AM.
    "I deserve a mute supermodel who likes pasty Irish guys and loves to cook."

Harvey Bullock - Gotham

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by dvldog View Post
    We now see a similar pattern across multiple positions. You play behind a couple of guys for your first year/year and a half getting more snaps along the way. By the time you're a junior your starting along w/a bunch of other seasoned, talented, players for one of the best teams in the land. You get pub as a junior and have an opportunity to go somewhere in the draft but, hopefully, decide to come back for your senior year to win yet another championship. Your transition to the pros is smooth and your not all beat up. Enough players doing that and anything is possible for the team and the player.
    This infers development and honing your craft. Development and honing one`s craft infers a need for patience. In too many cases "patient" and "18 years old" is an oxymoron. That`s especially true for a pampered 5* who`s absolutely, positively convinced he`s good enough to be in the league after 3 anyway. All that`s compounded in some cases by a parent/parents who are impatient as well for not so altruistic reasons ( $$$$$$ ).

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    I went back to 2008 -- and since -- we have 17 - 5* recruits (counting Henry and A'Shawn -- the other 5*s from 2013 are still in school)

Of the 17, only Tyler Love, BJ Scott, Phil Sims, and Eddie Williams are not in the NFL.

The other 13 are: Julio, Trent, Dre, Nico, DJ Fluker, Milliner, Kouandjio, Ha Ha, Depriest, Landon, Yeldon, and soon, Henry and A'Shawn.....

the other 5* from 2013 -- Reuben Foster, Robert Foster, Jonathan Allen, and OJ Howard look like locks (maybe Robert is iffy)....

That ain't too shabby.

I read an article where nationwide, 52.2% of 5* get drafted, the SEC rate 53.3%, Bama's rate? 80.9% (when I add in the 4 still in school) or 76% overall....
    interesting numbers. it's one thing to get the recruits. it's another to develop them to the point where they can positively impact the team and then move to the next level. sounds like the staff has been doing just that.
    "If you aren't fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm." ~Vince Lombardi

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States

Really and truly, I don't see many 5 stars on the bench. They usually contribute right out of the gate. They just don't start.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

BamaNation All-SEC Bamafan P.T.'s Avatar

Classy statement by bielawhatever... Expect nothing less from him but
    pretty dumb.
    Kinda Telling kids, u won't play there , you are only good enough to be 3rd string ?

Realize his intent but most kids, especially 5* with all the confidence in the world aren't listening to that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

That ain't too shabby.

Wow. Thanks for those stats.
    If there is no God then there is no reason to be an atheist.

BamaNation All-SEC

That ain't too shabby.

To be fair Phil Sims did end up in the NFL with the Cardinals.
    Beat Everyone!

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

You don't convince them to come and wait patiently on the bench - you promise them an opportunity to compete for playing time. The really talented players are not afraid of that challenge. If they believe you - that you will play the best player - then they come. Saban has proven it time and again - starting freshmen and sophomores over more experienced players every season.

The difficulty comes when they don't get early playing time - convincing them to stick it out.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    You don't convince them to come and wait patiently on the bench - you promise them an opportunity to compete for playing time. The really talented players are not afraid of that challenge. If they believe you - that you will play the best player - then they come. Saban has proven it time and again - starting freshmen and sophomores over more experienced players every season.

The difficulty comes when they don't get early playing time - convincing them to stick it out.
    True statement ... the plus is, they are more prepared as players when they go through the program and stick it out. The challenge is, hearing the talk/pressure from family, friends, and fans that they are great players as freshmen and should be playing now. I would argue with the latest trend that happening that we are going to see a lot of players from Bama that will be ready to contribute to an NFL team quicker than they have been in years past and thats saying a LOT looking at our track record.

Here's what it all comes down to. Does someone want to get a bunch of starts for a mediocre team with mediocre coaching, or do they want less snaps in far bigger games with far better coaching?

The instinct for an athlete is to want to play, however in terms of building a career as an athlete? You don't just go where you can get easy playing time, you go somewhere that can help you become great. Now if you doubt you can be great? Well may be you should go where there's easy playing time...
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban
    "This is how it should be every game, every home game... the fans were just amazing". - Kevin Norwood on 2013 LSU game
    "Four, five-star recruits are in Tuscaloosa, and then they see a stadium start emptying out at halftime"

BamaNation All-SEC

That ain't too shabby.

Robert Foster was having a better year than Ridley before the injury just FYI. IMO We have the best group of WR's since Saban has been here.