Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team TrueCrimson7's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

4 star OT Jean Delance Decommits from OU, Indicates Interest in Alabama

The junior OT decommitted from Oklahoma based on a racist fraternity video. He was reportedly offered a scholarship by Alabama and posted a picture of B-D.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2015/03/09/m...-racist-video/
    Last edited by TrueCrimson7; March 10th, 2015 at 11:53 AM.

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: 4 star OT Jean Delance Decommits from OU, Indicates Interest in Alabama

Nice! Man, we certainly need stud OTs. Here is to hoping he sticks with us.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by CoolBreeze View Post
    Nice! Man, we certainly need stud OTs. Here is to hoping he sticks with us.
    I didn`t get the impression that he committed to us, just that he`s interested. It is somewhat ironic that the mother chapter of SAE is at Alabama.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

He just tweeted he was offered by Alabama. The only reason this appears to be a story is because of when he decommitted from OU.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy on TideFans.com

What happened in that video is neither exclusive to Oklahoma nor SAE. I respect the young man's decisions and actually applaud him, but any attempt to run from bigotry will be futile. Sadly, it's in every corner of the earth and all points in between.
    "I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships. Conference championships and national championships. I love it here because that's just not what I want, but what this fanbase expects."
    --Alabama Head Football Coach, Nick Saban

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will spend it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” — Albert Einstein

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by WMack4Bama View Post
    What happened in that video is neither exclusive to Oklahoma nor SAE. I respect the young man's decisions and actually applaud him, but any attempt to run from bigotry will be futile. Sadly, it's in every corner of the earth and all points in between.
    Correct. Shouldn`t be a universal indictment against SAE. It is, however, an indictment against the lamebrains in the OU chapter. I`d hazard a guess that there were some SAEs that did not take part in all that, may well have not approved, but will now have to pay a price for the actions of some fools.

BamaNation All-American

Well, if you hang out with fools..........

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by NoNC4Tubs View Post
    Well, if you hang out with fools..........
    Point well taken.

BamaNation Hall of Fame derek4tide's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cool on TideFans.com

He says he did it because of the video -

"Very uneducated people. I wouldn't want my son or child to go there or to anywhere like that," Delance told CBS 11 in Dallas-Fort Worth on Monday. "It was just very disturbing to me. I didn't like it."

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/re...s-decommitment
    "There are two pains in life. There is the pain of discipline and the pain of disappointment. If you can handle the pain of discipline, then you'll never have to deal with the pain of disappointment." - Nick Saban

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

SAE is the elite fraternity on many campuses and unless I am mistaken, they are the nations largest. It starts with their parents attitudes before the kids get to a university and the culture that exists in most of their chapters. My fraternity at Alabama has had African American, Hispanics and even some Asians members so not all fraternities have the same attitude toward diversity. White kids are the vast majority, but we judge kids on their character, not their skin color.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JPT4Bama's Avatar

Actually Sigma Phi Epsilon is the nations largest fraternity. When I was attending UAB and a member of SigEP in the late 70's we were second to SAE but passed them some years ago. We also included minorities back then but really thought nothing of it at the time.

The chapter at Alabama is currently considered one of the top 25 in the nation.

The chant SAE was yelling sounded like something from the 60's. I found it shocking and agree with OU's response.
    Ask me about my vow of silence.

My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

It sounds like this kids mother has had racial incidents in her life. I certainly understand her not wanting had son to be around it. Racism and bigotry are taught behaviors. No one is born with racist views and all of us need to teach our children this is not right. I'm a 66 yo white man. One of my best friends is an African American about my same age. You should hear some of the things he's been through simply because his skin is a different color.
    I would love to think that some day all these attitudes will change, but I'm doubtful.
    Last edited by gtowntide; March 11th, 2015 at 05:22 PM.

BamaNation All-American

Regarding the larger issue: You can find this sort of stuff anywhere, from the Ivy League to Stanford to Berkley and every college in between. It's just that most of it isn't as blatant or recorded or posted on the net.

Regarding the smaller issue: I think this was an emotional decision by Delance. When he realizes it's a reflection of a small part of the world that nevertheless exists everywhere, I'm guessing he'll be back at OU.
    Undefeated World Champion Threadkiller