UAB New Uni's

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Two words: Gene Bartow.
Really?

In the year 2014?

It's not like UAB competes with Alabama in, well, dang near anything... I mean...let it go.

Yes, I'm from B'ham, and grew up during the Sanderson-Bartow era. But I was too young to know about the recruiting stuff going on in the background. And now that I'm older, frankly, I don't care. This is not a "rivalry", in any sense whatsoever. I guess I would have to be old enough to "get" the hate.

But I digress...

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
The UAB hate in this thread is a little surprising. They're part of the UA system after all.

Maybe my sarcasm / humor detector is on the fritz today.
talk to a UAB fan (if you can find one) and you'll understand the hate. They are far more delusional than AU Fans and truly believe that they are only bad because Paul Bryant Jr and the UA Board is holding them back. Personally I would love to boot them, keep the med school and let them become the University of Birmingham. They are dead weight sullying our name

Nothingfaced

Scout Team
Aug 13, 2014
talk to a UAB fan (if you can find one) and you'll understand the hate. They are far more delusional than AU Fans and truly believe that they are only bad because Paul Bryant Jr and the UA Board is holding them back. Personally I would love to boot them, keep the med school and let them become the University of Birmingham. They are dead weight sullying our name
I'm a UAB football fan myself, and that's just not true.

UAB fans blame the downtrodden state of their football program on the way Watson Brown destroyed it and left in 2006, and the nixing of the hire of Jimbo Fisher to be their coach in 2007.

The BOT refused to let UAB have Fisher, and the program hasn't been the same since. Neil Callaway almost 100% destroyed UAB football.

UAB's high point was in 2004, when they were ranked No. 24 in the BCS and were 5-1.

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL

UAB fans blame the downtrodden state of their football program on the way Watson Brown destroyed it and left in 2006, and the nixing of the hire of Jimbo Fisher to be their coach in 2007.

The BOT refused to let UAB have Fisher, and the program hasn't been the same since. Neil Callaway almost 100% destroyed UAB football.

UAB's high point was in 2004, when they were ranked No. 24 in the BCS and were 5-1.
Really?
Sounds like you're blaming the BOT.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I lurk on their message board. Google Gene Bartow Memorial Forum if you want to find it. They are the most paranoid bunch I've ever seen. They blame everything on the BOT. They outright despise us. They are all excited about the new coach, but they had the same enthusiasm two years ago for McGoof because he was their hire.

I think Clark is a good coach, but his great record at Jax State last year was somewhat deceptive. They came very close to losing four of the ones they won.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

So everything wrong with UAB is somebody else's fault? LOL

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I lurk on their message board. Google Gene Bartow Memorial Forum if you want to find it. They are the most paranoid bunch I've ever seen. They blame everything on the BOT. They outright despise us. They are all excited about the new coach, but they had the same enthusiasm two years ago for McGoof because he was their hire.

I think Clark is a good coach, but his great record at Jax State last year was somewhat deceptive. They came very close to losing four of the ones they won.
It was a step down from Jax St. to UAB IMHO.

Nothingfaced

Scout Team
Aug 13, 2014
See their references to us as Bammers, Updykes, and uat.

I've got news for them, a UA diploma doesn't say UAT, it says The University of Alabama. Tuscaloosa isn't on it anywhere. I know; I have one.
That's what I just don't understand.

I love the Crimson Tide... makes no sense why so many UAB fans despise Alabama folks. I love both teams and both schools.

Nothingfaced

Scout Team
Aug 13, 2014
See their references to us as Bammers, Updykes, and uat.

I've got news for them, a UA diploma doesn't say UAT, it says The University of Alabama. Tuscaloosa isn't on it anywhere. I know; I have one.
For some reason, a lot of UAB folks get offended at "Alabama-Birmingham" also. Makes no sense.

I haven't yet heard of a UCLA fan offended by "California Los-Angeles".

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Love the broad brushing being done here.

I am an Alabama fan first. But I grew up on, and love UAB sports as well. Given a choice to watch, see them live, whatever, I'll pick Alabama every time.

So please do not lump me in with all of your negativity, name-calling, etc. It is not appreciated. Thank you. Most everybody here has a "second" team. Big whoop. I can't believe that UAB is made fun of at every chance, as if they are some threat. Because we all know they are not. I mean, is that the deal across the country? Are other flagship fans across the country making fun of their sister schools, directional schools, whatever-you-want-to-call-them, every chance they are brought up? I mean, wow, I thought we were more secure in our own skin than that. But if that's how it's done, carry on, if it makes you feel better. Keep those endorphins a-flowin'.

Hey, at least my "second" team isn't aubie! LOL

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Love the broad brushing being done here.

I am an Alabama fan first. But I grew up on, and love UAB sports as well. Given a choice to watch, see them live, whatever, I'll pick Alabama every time.

So please do not lump me in with all of your negativity, name-calling, etc. It is not appreciated. Thank you. Most everybody here has a "second" team. Big whoop. I can't believe that UAB is made fun of at every chance, as if they are some threat. Because we all know they are not. I mean, is that the deal across the country? Are other flagship fans across the country making fun of their sister schools, directional schools, whatever-you-want-to-call-them, every chance they are brought up? I mean, wow, I thought we were more secure in our own skin than that. But if that's how it's done, carry on, if it makes you feel better. Keep those endorphins a-flowin'.

Hey, at least my "second" team isn't aubie! LOL
UAB fans bring it on themselves with the constant whining about how the BOT keeps them down. I do agree they are not a threat and never will be.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Again, with the broad brush.

It's OK....
I'm sorry it bothers you but that's the way I see it. UAB doesn't deserve a DI football team period. If they had enough fans to support it, that would be fine by me but as it stands they'd be better off in DII. I'm convinced the sole reason Birmingham wants its taxpayers to fund a dome is so UAB can play there and not for any of the reasons they talk about. The right way to build a program is to earn it like everyone else.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
I'm sorry it bothers you but that's the way I see it. UAB doesn't deserve a DI football team period. If they had enough fans to support it, that would be fine by me but as it stands they'd be better off in DII. I'm convinced the sole reason Birmingham wants its taxpayers to fund a dome is so UAB can play there and not for any of the reasons they talk about. The right way to build a program is to earn it like everyone else.
I'm not really that bothered. Actually, my whole point was that I don't quite understand why we as Bama fans should care what they do. As someone who also lives in Cullman, the dome is not something that riles me up either. What the BOT does? Call me apathetic. Again, does not bother me. I am Roll Tide til I die, but I also enjoy when UAB does well. And to me, one does not affect the other. So why be bothered by what goes on in their world? I have friends that are UAB die-hards, and there are some that fit your stereotype (just check their message boards). But not all. So, who's really bothered here? Anyhoo....

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Some of us may have MBAs, from UAB, back when it didn't have sports. Maybe we should be agnostic. Maybe we are. Some folks may just be annoyed by their presence. Some may hold grudges. Don't claim to know, or understand, people's beliefs or motivations.

Anyway, a guy asks a question, and some give answers. Simple as that.

I now live in Texas, and don't have to deal with barners, so life is good.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.