SI makes their picks for the first four team playoff....what about you?

BigBama

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
With Amari Cooper donning the regional SI cover, you'll notice the cover also lists who they think will play in the first ever four team playoff. SI's predictions are:
1. Florida State
2. Alabama
3. Oklahoma
4. Ohio St.

So who do you predict will be in the first playoff bracket? What is the justification for your picks?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Finebaum and Tebow picked Bama as the only team from the SEC to make the 4 team playoff. I think I agree with them.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
That's a nice bracket. Getting a chance to play 2 of those teams would be a tremendous challenge and also a tremendous opportunity!:biggrin2:

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Bama, FSU, Ohio state, and Oregon/Oklahoma.

I think FSU and OSU go undefeated because they play few if any good teams. I think we lose one, but win the conference and get in. The last spot is for whichever of those two teams goes undefeated. I think one of them can go unbeaten (OU is more likely because their conference is weaker); I'd hate to see them all go unbeaten and a 1-loss SEC champ get left out.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I just can't see a playoff without a pac12 team. I understand the thinking they will knock each other off , but the top three teams in the PAC 12 would probably go unbeaten in the BIG 12 and Big 10 , and maybe the ACC. I thought the idea was to get the best 4 .

I will say it again, the only way to get the 4 best and appease the politics of selection criteria is have 8 teams. Only way!

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
My 4, in no particular order:

Ohio State - undefeated with an easy schedule (have to beat MSU, but our defense will be much improved this season so we have a chance)
FSU - undefeated with an easy schedule
Stanford - They have the best head coach on the west coast and know how to beat Oregon
Alabama (assuming the offensive line is up to the task, and I believe that they will be)

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I just can't see a playoff without a pac12 team. I understand the thinking they will knock each other off , but the top three teams in the PAC 12 would probably go unbeaten in the BIG 12 and Big 10 , and maybe the ACC. I thought the idea was to get the best 4 .

I will say it again, the only way to get the 4 best and appease the politics of selection criteria is have 8 teams. Only way!
No, not the idea at all. The BCS had the best 4 in their final rankings. Which is why the BCS is dead and gone.

GCtidefan

1st Team
Sep 23, 2010
Adger, AL
Maybe not feasible, but I would LOVE to see:
An Undefeated Alabama, tOSU, FSU, and Stanford while an also undefeated Oklahoma was left out in the cold due to the absence of a championship game!
Can you imagine the build up and eventual explosion from Stoops?
It would start small with his normal ranting, then be fueled by a week of media coverage, until finally BOOM! his head explodes like a cartoon character!

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Alabama
F$U
Oklahoma
UCLA

I think Michigan State wins the B1G, but their loss at Oregon eliminates them because Oregon does not win PAC.

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Maybe not feasible, but I would LOVE to see:
An Undefeated Alabama, tOSU, FSU, and Stanford while an also undefeated Oklahoma was left out in the cold due to the absence of a championship game!
Can you imagine the build up and eventual explosion from Stoops?
It would start small with his normal ranting, then be fueled by a week of media coverage, until finally BOOM! his head explodes like a cartoon character!
Sorry but Stanford ain't going undefeated, and an undefeated Big 12 team is not going to be left out. Stanford, with only 12 returning starters,
plays AT Washington, AT ND, AT Arizona State, AT Oregon, and AT UCLA. Lotsa luck going undefeated with that.

BigBama

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
My picks:
1. Oklahoma, undefeated
2. Ohio St, undefeated...only Mich. St. is in their way
3. Alabama, one loss- either to LSU or TAMU
4. UCLA, surprise team in the PAC 12.

Somebody remind us to check this thread in January to see how far off we were! :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.