The real down side of the Iron Bowl

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Obviously I bring a completely different memory to the experience but....it did strike me as odd that something went wrong and we don't know "what" exactly. Because even when I DO know, the other person won't admit it anyway if he or she is at fault.

It might also be because your girlfriend was also dating Tiger Woods; remember, he had his accident that day and it was exposed for the world. No doubt she was upset about THAT Tiger, not the Auburn Tigers.

Let her go, tiger.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
We just just kind of cooled down before the Bama-auburn game that year. It was like, the spark was there, but it wasn't quite the same anymore. We had actually both decided to cool things down. But, in retrospect, I realize now that once you have been "friends with benefits", it is kind of difficult to go back to the way things were prior to that. As time went on, she told everybody that the reason her and I were done was that I had offended her over the game that year. I just went with that and thought "oh well". But, now I see that there was way more going on.
I can think of only one case where I subtracted the "benefits" part of the friendship and the friendship persisted. In fact, we're still friends almost 30 years later. Most of the time, it doesn't work. I believe Staci'll back me up in that the female is much more involved deeply emotionally in the sexual part of the relationship than men are. In fact, I think the whole "friends with benefits" is largely a male invention. My first wife might be the exception to that, but then she turned out to be schizophrenic and ended up in an institution...

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
I missed everyone! I've been scarce myself.

Why? Did you get a time out? You know you probably deserved it. ;)
Yep. Got a time out, and deserved every day of it. I had a rather tough time accepting the outcome of the Sugar bowl. Not my finest moment. :wink:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
The whole thing is rather bizarre. At one point, we were in the "friends with benefits" category. Up until the Alabama-Auburn game of 2009, we had never really even had so much as an argument. Something just went terribly wrong that day. For years, I chalked it up to her sensitivity over the outcome of that game, but, clearly something else is going on. A couple of years back, I helped her mother with something and it nearly caused her to disown her mother as a result of it when she found out. They did not speak for months. She hasn't been the same since that weird day 5 years ago. Or maybe she was that way all along and I just never noticed it. I just hope she can at least find some sort of peace. For her own sake. Now that I think about it, restoring the friendship would be asking for trouble. File that under the "duhh" category! :tongue:
Sounds like she got sick and tired waiting around for that marriage proposal. :D

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Obviously I bring a completely different memory to the experience but....it did strike me as odd that something went wrong and we don't know "what" exactly. Because even when I DO know, the other person won't admit it anyway if he or she is at fault.

It might also be because your girlfriend was also dating Tiger Woods; remember, he had his accident that day and it was exposed for the world. No doubt she was upset about THAT Tiger, not the Auburn Tigers.

Let her go, tiger.
I remember they kept breaking into regular programming to tell us the latest update about his wreck. I was worried I'd miss part of the game if they kept doing that.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
You should've said earlier that you had "been inside the vault," so to speak.

Dude. This has zero to do with team allegiance.

She doesn't like you because of how the "friends with benefits" misadventure went down. Cross her off your list. You're done.
Not only is this solid advice (you are done with her, my friend), but this also gives you another way to describe, uh, relations. "Been inside the vault". Classic!

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
FWB sounds awesome, especially when you two discuss it first and she says all the right things. Then you find out quickly, 'this is not as 'cool' as I expected'

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
As with others on this board, and within the Bama nation, I live in a divided household. Mrs. Reb and I are both Bama fans from as far back as we can remember. Her sister otoh is an aubie. Let me correct that. She is when they're doing well. When they're not, her loyalty seems to fade.
Regardless of her loyalty though, family is family, and nothing gets in the way of that.
Mrs. Catfish is an AU grad. She's more of a "hater" than I am, but not really bad at all. We've never had a single arguement about football, thank the Lord. Little Catfish, despite our best efforts, coudn't care less about football. He's all about Karate, swimming and Legos. I can live with that.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Really 3 pages in and no one has asked this yet? I'm actually a bit angry......

VJ, Riz, Buzzard, nobody?

this board is going down hill fast --- what Staci shows back up and you all get skeered?

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
All of that said to say this: I hope my Tide win every single game every single year...and if they don't, I'll be fine. As far as it is within me, I will NOT lose a friendship with someone--Auburn fan or any other fan--over the outcome of any Saturday's football game. If that makes me "not a true fan" or "a sellout" or whatever, so be it. My 50+ years of wearing Crimson + my multiple UA degrees say otherwise.

I'll wind up with this. Here's a complete & exhaustive list of really important things decided by the outcome of a bunch of large young men running into each other at a high rate of speed for 3 hours:

(list ends)
I think I can honestly say I have never lost/ended a friendship over any one game; however, the attitude and behavioral changes brought about by this game over the years, in some folks, has caused me to do just that. Indications that someone has a view of reality that differs from yours, if extreme in said difference, can cause one to evaluate the original basis of the friendship. Same age, same school, same circle of friends is not the strongest foundation for a friendship when there are crucial differences in perception of reality.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
I might add also that my former friend (with benefits :smile:) also did not speak to her own sister (who is a Bama fan) for awhile after the 2011 Alabama-auburn game. She's all good with her Bama friends/relatives if auburn wins, but when Bama wins, she just can't seem to handle it. Her mother has actually shared this concern with me. A few posts up, CajunCrimson asked if she was hot. Kind of hard to say. It always depended on the day. Some days she looked great, others, well, not so much. You know what I mean? I guess you could say she certainly had the potential to be. She just downplayed it a lot, for some reason.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
I might add also that my former friend (with benefits :smile:) also did not speak to her own sister (who is a Bama fan) for awhile after the 2011 Alabama-auburn game. She's all good with her Bama friends/relatives if auburn wins, but when Bama wins, she just can't seem to handle it. Her mother has actually shared this concern with me. A few posts up, CajunCrimson asked if she was hot. Kind of hard to say. It always depended on the day. Some days she looked great, others, well, not so much. You know what I mean? I guess you could say she certainly had the potential to be. She just downplayed it a lot, for some reason.
There was a Seinfeld episode about someone like that.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.