SIAP.."Mama Called" Bear Bryant Documentary Airs Tonight At 7 On PBS

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
What a walk down memory lane! The Man's voice still gives me chills... so glad I grew up during his tenure at the Capstone.

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
This appears to be something that is only being shown on Alabama Public Television. That's too bad. But fortunately, for the rest of us, the Bryant Museum is selling it on DVD and Blu-Ray.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Thanks, as always, TideMan!

Something, however, tells me that, even w/o checking the local TV guide, PBS will have some sort of Save the Whales feature on up here...

BoSox Tider

Scout Team
Jul 1, 2011
Thanks, as always, TideMan!

Something, however, tells me that, even w/o checking the local TV guide, PBS will have some sort of Save the Whales feature on up here...
Can't find it on PBS here in Va either. May have to order the dvd.

Bamagator

Scout Team
Jan 12, 2000
Notice in the trailer at 1:15, two LSU cheerleaders giddily approach Coach Bryant to shake the hand, not of a bitter rival, a despised foe, but of a legend, a true celebrity. And of course, he graciously acknowledges their presence, when he certainly had much more important things on his mind - like beating LSU.

Similarly, I recall seeing a posed photo of Coach Bryant standing in the midst of the entire Tennessee cheerleading squad, I am guessing, circa 1975. (In the mid-to late 80s there was a bar on The Strip in what once was Morrison's Cafeteria, where this framed photo was displayed.) Coach Bryant had a magnetism and charisma that if you didn't experience it, it's hard to explain, but it was bigger than the game. Maybe it's still common practice for starry-eyed fans and cheerleaders to greet opposing coaches, but I would tend to doubt it - too much of security risk these days.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.