News Article: Federal judge rules drivers allowed to flash headlights to warn of speed traps

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Federal judge rules drivers allowed to flash headlights to warn of speed traps
A federal judge in Missouri ruled this week held that drivers have a First Amendment right to flash their headlights to warn other motorists of nearby police and speed traps.

The order by U.S. District Judge Henry E. Autrey in St. Louis on Monday stems from a lawsuit filed by Ellisville resident Michael Elli. In 2012, Elli flashed his headlights to warn oncoming vehicles of a radar set up by police in the town of Ellisville.

A flash of headlights is a common way motorists communicate to oncoming drivers of either a dangerous situation or the presence of police — in essence, a warning to slow down.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Wasn't this settled years ago? Or was that another state? Guess so.

In the United States, the legality of headlight flashing varies from state to state. Some states consider that drivers have a First Amendment right to flash their headlights. In other states, law enforcement officers give citations for headlight flashing under three types of laws: (1) laws prohibiting a person from obstructing a police investigation, (2) laws prohibiting a person from having flashing lights on their vehicle, and (3) laws prohibiting shining a vehicle’s high beams at oncoming traffic.
All three are pretty ridiculous.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I got my first ticket in over 15 years a month ago, on a Sunday at noon; he was sitting at the bottom of a hill that had about a 75 degree curve. If he had been parked on the street I wouldn't have seen him until I was upon him, but he was hiding behind an entrance sign to a retirement community.
First time I have ever gotten a ticket at the bottom of a hill.
Flashing headlights may or may not have helped, due to the curve.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I used to never flash my lights to warn oncoming drivers. That is, until I got caught in a speed trap on a road without a posted speed limit. According to the court, I should have been aware of the (little-known) law that dictates the speed limit on a county road on which there is no posted speed limit. After all, it is in the driver's manual - tiny print and all. (silly me). Ever since then, I flash my lights at every opportunity. I may have had to pay the fine on my "offense", but I guarantee you that I've cost them way more in potential income from other drivers than I had to pay them. What goes around, comes around. :biggrin2:

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've also done it for decades and will continue. One thing to remember is that a lot of LEOs (certainly not all) actually get off on cuffing someone and throwing them in jail, even when they know there are no charges which have a prayer of sticking...

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I've also done it for decades and will continue. One thing to remember is that a lot of LEOs (certainly not all) actually get off on cuffing someone and throwing them in jail, even when they know there are no charges which have a prayer of sticking...
Maybe they should have their own 3-strikes law-- you arrest 3 people in a [12, 18, or 24] month period with no charges being filed, and you're fired.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Wasn't this settled years ago? Or was that another state? Guess so.

In the United States, the legality of headlight flashing varies from state to state. Some states consider that drivers have a First Amendment right to flash their headlights. In other states, law enforcement officers give citations for headlight flashing under three types of laws: (1) laws prohibiting a person from obstructing a police investigation, (2) laws prohibiting a person from having flashing lights on their vehicle, and (3) laws prohibiting shining a vehicle’s high beams at oncoming traffic.
All three are pretty ridiculous.
(1) Obstructing a police investigation: If warning other drivers constitutes obstruction, then so do neighborhood watch and home security system signs, or simple warnings to criminals that "I'll call the police!".

(2) Prohibition against having flashing lights on a vehicle: If high beams are considered illegal flashing lights, every vehicle in the country is illegal. Arrest everyone.

(3) Prohibiting shining high beams at oncoming traffic: This is the most legitimate justification of the three. But again, there's not a driver alive who doesn't on occasion forget to drop to low beams. And the widely accepted reminder is to briefly flash high beams. A brief flash is also the widely-accepted method of communicating to merging drivers that they are clear to merge. Truckers commonly thank such a flash by briefly flashing their own running lights. A brief flash is a courtesy, and one much appreciated by most.

Bottom line: all three of these justifications are cop-outs (no pun intended) to avoid the truth of it: slowing speeding traffic ceased years ago to be the purpose of writing tickets.

If the goal were to slow traffic, they'd welcome people giving warnings. In fact, they'd welcome people giving false warnings - flashes when no police are present, just like when neighborhood watch and home security system signs are put up when there's no watch or system. It serves as a deterrent, in this case against speeding.

It's the same reason that in several parts of the country (Tennessee is notorious for this), being in possession of cash is by itself reason enough for the state to confiscate it under suspicion of something nefarious, even if there's no other indication of anything illegal taking place. Even if your innocence is proven beyond any doubt (a burden which the accused shouldn't have to bear in this country), many state and local governments refuse to return the confiscated money, or it costs many thousands more in legal fees to force that return than what was confiscated to begin with.

The real purpose of writing speeding tickets is that it's a huge source of revenue for the county, municipality, and state. Flashed warnings get in the way of that back-door tax. Sad to say, but many governments now operate under the assumption that we work for them.

</rant>

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
They come up with these specious arguments to hide the fact that it's not about public safety - as warning the oncoming drivers of the officer ahead slows traffic down - but about revenue generation.

It's why cops hate radar detectors. They hate the fact that some of us know when we're being surveilled and can keep a closer eye on the speedo as it drastically cuts down on their ability to generate revenue.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I remember there was a thread about some guy standing on the side of the road holding a sign warning about a speed trap.

I don't flash my lights, but a law banning it is clearly unconstitutional. Are you going to arrest a trucker that tells people on his CB radio about a cop being up ahead?

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.