Yahoo Sports: Notre Dame Under Investigation for Academic Fraud

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
BK: Each situation is difficult. Relies on great support staff at ND, has a great AD, has people to lean on

BK: ND kids have a resilience and want to play football at ND. Expects his players to be affected by it but they'll be stronger

BK: 4 players can eat with team, just can't practice and play in games, won't be in meetings. Can be in the Gug at anytime

BK: Not the time to have a debate on his leadership or lack thereof. His focus is on his football team and getting this team ready

BK: Vacating victories wouldn't change his mind on past seasons.

BK: Must create an environment where players know they cannot cut corners. Must hold players accountable, part of being a Head Coach.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
listening to McElroy and his sidekick on sirius and they're massaging notre dame for how wonderfully they're handling this situation and "getting out in front of it"...that's fine, everyone's entitled to their opinion.

but then they said "This is a Notre Dame issue, not a NCAA issue"

huh? this is ABSOLUTELY a NCAA issue. NCAA banned UNC from postseason + scholarship losses for academic fraud so the bar is set. Not sure how McElroy believes this is outside the NCAA's jurisdiction

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
JMO, but if ND kicks the kids off of the team, I would consider that adequate - assuming no one at the school in an official position knew about it, or should have known about it. I felt the same way about "book-gate" at Alabama. I just don't feel that schools should be punished for this type of mistake made by players. I liken it to a player that commits a crime.

Should a school be punished for something over which it really has no control?

I know that some will say that the NCAA has set a precedent. I get that argument, but counter it with my own argument that they were wrong the first time. Why should we want them to continue to get it wrong? For the sake of "fairness" we would continue injustice?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I still think the whole idea of "vacating" wins is farcical.
Absolutely, everyone knows who won those vacated wins. IMO, if you vacate wins, you also vacate losses so that year or whatever year you are forced to vacate wins then your record should be 0-0. Vacating wins is totally absurd.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Absolutely, everyone knows who won those vacated wins. IMO, if you vacate wins, you also vacate losses so that year or whatever year you are forced to vacate wins then your record should be 0-0. Vacating wins is totally absurd.

Exactly! ND is still undefeated in 2012 !!

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
JMO, but if ND kicks the kids off of the team, I would consider that adequate - assuming no one at the school in an official position knew about it, or should have known about it. I felt the same way about "book-gate" at Alabama. I just don't feel that schools should be punished for this type of mistake made by players. I liken it to a player that commits a crime.

I know that some will say that the NCAA has set a precedent. I get that argument, but counter it with my own argument that they were wrong the first time. Why should we want them to continue to get it wrong? For the sake of "fairness" we would continue injustice?
BEG TO DIFFER... Academic Fraud, and cheating kept players eligible to play football.
No mistakes involved. Players conspired with teachers to break the rules.
These were intentional acts, not mistakes.

My question is... WHO KNEW?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
BEG TO DIFFER... Academic Fraud, and cheating kept players eligible to play football.
No mistakes involved. Players conspired with teachers to break the rules.
These were intentional acts, not mistakes.

My question is... WHO KNEW?
What is worse, academic fraud by player or armed robbery by a player? The NCAA is smart enough to realize that a school cannnot keep a player from being a thug, but they are not smart enough to realize that they cannot keep a player from cheating in the classroom.

Again, I am assuming that the school was not aware and that they did not attempt to cover it up. Based on how they have handled this to date and how they handled the situation with their starting QB last season, I believe that this is probably as much a shock to the ND coaches and administration as it is to the rest of the college football world.

So, should the school suffer because they have cheaters or criminals on their team if they take appropriate action the moment that they discover the problem? IMO, they should be lauded, not punished.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Yup..And there's no way all this went on without HC Brian Kelly knowing & signing off to keep his star players eligible..And this doesn't include this scandal & death of this young man..There's only one college football team I truly hate & hope they lose every football game they play..

Here's The Link To Their Other Scandal..BRIAN KELLY MUST GO

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
As far as I'm concerned.. I don't care.

So many schools do this kind of thing. If they're going to try to clean it up, then really clean it up. Plus, Notre Dame has proven they can't win when attempting to live by their own lofty standards, and now they've proven they can't even win when they try to break those standards to get some kind of competitive advantage.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

If the NCAA was willing to go back and make things right where there was injustice I might agree.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
As far as I'm concerned.. I don't care.

So many schools do this kind of thing. If they're going to try to clean it up, then really clean it up. Plus, Notre Dame has proven they can't win when attempting to live by their own lofty standards, and now they've proven they can't even win when they try to break those standards to get some kind of competitive advantage.
I understand and share your frustration but do we just give up on standards? Do we throw out the rules because it is hard to enforce them. Without rules and standards, which keep the athletes in class with certain requirements and disallowing payment we would have another minor league sport. College sports are special and hopefully we can preserve them.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.