News Article: Selection Committee Ranking Protocol Released

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
They have finally released the protocol and procedures that will be used to rank the final Top 25 teams. Seems like there are plenty of ways this could get messed up.

Link Here to SI website

This sounds like nothing but trouble...

The protocol notes after the rankings are completed, any group of three or more teams can be reconsidered if more than three members vote to do so. If this happens, the group would re-rank the top six teams in that group, and the top three would be seeded.

All votes will be by secret ballot.
So, once rankings are done, they can arbitrarily select any group of teams - including those in the top 4 - and re-arrange them to meet whatever motives they have. And, they don't have to tell anyone how they voted. Good grief. :rolleyes:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
It's amazing how many of those things listed do not directly correlate to how the team actually performed. Remember, we've had teams out of the top 20 win their conference.

I have to love this one:
"Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory),"
What exactly are they comparing then?

What's so hard about watching teams play and voting for the best team? And don't get me started on the secret ballot stuff, even the AP knows better than to do that.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
I was really sorry to see the whole bit about taking injuries into account. I had hoped that wouldn't actually materialize, but alas... So, if we are #4 on the list and we happen to have an injury to a key player in the conference championship game, that gives the committee an "out" to exclude us from the playoff since we probably wouldn't do that well in the playoff without that single player...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I was really sorry to see the whole bit about taking injuries into account. I had hoped that wouldn't actually materialize, but alas... So, if we are #4 on the list and we happen to have an injury to a key player in the conference championship game, that gives the committee an "out" to exclude us from the playoff since we probably wouldn't do that well in the playoff without that single player...
I always thought it would go the other way, to excuse a team for a loss due to a key injury.

However, last year I remember specifically the discussion about the NCAA basketball committee (which I've seen cited as a model) potentially giving a worse seeding to a team solely on the basis of an injured player. I think that is just horrible, period. Injuries happen, even the MLB/NBA/NFL know better than to adjust seedings or inclusions on the basis of injuries.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I always thought it would go the other way, to excuse a team for a loss due to a key injury.

However, last year I remember specifically the discussion about the NCAA basketball committee (which I've seen cited as a model) potentially giving a worse seeding to a team solely on the basis of an injured player. I think that is just horrible, period. Injuries happen, even the MLB/NCAA/NFL know better than to adjust seedings or inclusions on the basis of injuries.
At least in basketball, one player has a massive impact on the games. While you do have difference makers in football, the teams have 85 scholarship players. One injury doesn't necessarily drastically alter a team's chances.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Wow...

This whole thing is setup specifically to fail. 2 teams wasn't enough because "it wasn't fair". 4 teams won't be enough either. They are going to keep expanding and expanding. The day we have a national champion with 3-4 losses is the day I stop watching.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
At least in basketball, one player has a massive impact on the games. While you do have difference makers in football, the teams have 85 scholarship players. One injury doesn't necessarily drastically alter a team's chances.
I typed NCAA instead of NBA, but anyway... so? Not to argue with you, because it doesn't seem you necessarily agree with the injury thing, but Rose gets hurt, they don't knock the Bulls to a bottom seed in the NBA now do they?

No, they don't, because the team earned their spot. It isn't about who they think will win, that's a hideous idea, it shouldn't be about arbitrary goals either. It should be to the most deserving team, period. It doesn't matter if there was a plane crash, and only the walk-ons are left, if the team earned it, then they belong there. They should only judge the team based on the team's performance in the past, not speculation on future performance.

Edit: To clarify my position and the general lunacy of factoring in injuries, what happens if there is a major injury in the first round of the playoffs? Does the team get a do-over? Do they reseed? I guess not, right? So if it doesn't count then, then it shouldn't count period.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I typed NCAA instead of NBA, but anyway... so? Not to argue with you, because it doesn't seem you necessarily agree with the injury thing, but Rose gets hurt, they don't knock the Bulls to a bottom seed in the NBA now do they?

No, they don't, because the team earned their spot. It isn't about who they think will win, that's a hideous idea, it shouldn't be about arbitrary goals either. It should be to the most deserving team, period. It doesn't matter if there was a plane crash, and only the walk-ons are left, if the team earned it, then they belong there. They should only judge the team based on the team's performance in the past, not speculation on future performance.

Edit: To clarify my position and the general lunacy of factoring in injuries, what happens if there is a major injury in the first round of the playoffs? Does the team get a do-over? Do they reseed? I guess not, right? So if it doesn't count then, then it shouldn't count period.
No I agree with you. I'm just saying at least in basketball there is somewhat of a logical argument for that opinion. But no... I believe the team earns the spot and injuries are a part of the game for any team. Ok so you're going to knock Ohio State out of the playoff because they were in the #4 spot and their starting QB gets hurt in the Big Ten championship game so now they are less likely to be competitive in the playoff. Well where is the logic in that opinion? Let's say that hypothetical injury doesn't happen in the Big Ten championship but on the first play of the national semi-final? In both scenarios we have Ohio State playing without its starting QB but in one we don't allow them into the playoff.

I feel the same way about basketball, it's just that at least 1/5 is greater than 1/22, or up to 1/33 if we're counting special team players as starters.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I have said it from day one. The only way to get the best 4 teams is by having an 8 team playoff. Do I honestly believe we need the best 8 ? No, but due to prejudice and hidden and not so hidden agendas, I truly believe it will cost a deserving team a national championship. I just hope it's not Bama. ,

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.