My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

****2014 Crown Jewel Countdown: #6 - QB, David Cornwell****

Scouting Report
    At 6-foot-5, 241 lb. David Cornwell is by far the biggest QB that Coach Saban has recruited to Tuscaloosa. He comes to Alabama as one of the top rated pocket passers in the 2014 recruiting class. His size and skill set (the arm strength, touch, accuracy, quick release and pure toughness) has drawn comparisons to both Joe Flacco and Ben Roethlisberger.
    He suffered a torn ACL during his senior season (in the 5th game) and passed for 1,445 yards and 12 TD in those five games. He was an early enrollee and got SOME burn in the spring game and was shaky. But down the road, he has the talent to become an all-time great.

BigEasyTider's Take

runtheoption22's Take
    Really impressive, high character leader. Every recruit seemed to mention Cornwell in every interview as a kid who actively spoke with them, became friends, and helped recruit them to Alabama. Great size, better than average arm, and an excellent work ethic- as evidenced by a speedy recovery from ACL surgery. I really expect this kid to be in the battle 2015 and 2016. He "gets it" like McElroy and has McCarron ability already.

WMack4Bama's Take
    Cornwell is a natural leader and is very charismatic. He's a very big QB and he's not a statue. He's very athletic. The torn ACL is tough, but he was more than likely going to redshirt this season anyway. Spending time with OC Lane Kiffin and being around a QB battle now will give him a leg up on what will inevitably be a battle between him and 2015 QB commit Blake Barnett in 2016. I have no doubt in my mind that Cornwell has the ability to give us a dimension that we've rarely seen at the QB position at Alabama.
    Last edited by runtheoption22; August 17th, 2014 at 06:21 PM.
    "I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships. Conference championships and national championships. I love it here because that's just not what I want, but what this fanbase expects."
    --Alabama Head Football Coach, Nick Saban

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will spend it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” — Albert Einstein

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American BamaHoosier's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: ****2014 Crown Jewel Countdown: #6 - QB, David Cornwell****

Cornwell is just a cool dude. He has all the physical ability that you could ask for in a quarterback, he's already shown great leadership for as young as he is, and if it's apparent by everything he posts that he truly bleeds crimson. He's going to be something special if he stays healthy.
    Formerly BamaBomber

My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

I really appreciate you adding the videos for these guys in their evaluation. I enjoy how easy they made it look when they were in high school.

News|BB|FB|Rec Moderator runtheoption22's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

bump

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

I think he will be THE GUY. I love his attitude and leadership already.

He played in the spring game? I don't recall that.

BamaNation All-American 230kv_barehand's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CraigD View Post
    He played in the spring game? I don't recall that.
    He sure did. IIRC he lost the grip on the ball or threw it into the ground on the only pass he attempted.

BamaNation All-American

I am really high on this guy. I think our QB situation should be in good hands over the next 4-5 years. I picture a Ben Roth or Joe Nameth type person. Big, Strong arm, and a great leader.