****2014 Crown Jewel Countdown: #6 - QB, David Cornwell****

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

Scouting Report
At 6-foot-5, 241 lb. David Cornwell is by far the biggest QB that Coach Saban has recruited to Tuscaloosa. He comes to Alabama as one of the top rated pocket passers in the 2014 recruiting class. His size and skill set (the arm strength, touch, accuracy, quick release and pure toughness) has drawn comparisons to both Joe Flacco and Ben Roethlisberger.
He suffered a torn ACL during his senior season (in the 5th game) and passed for 1,445 yards and 12 TD in those five games. He was an early enrollee and got SOME burn in the spring game and was shaky. But down the road, he has the talent to become an all-time great.

BigEasyTider's Take

runtheoption22's Take
Really impressive, high character leader. Every recruit seemed to mention Cornwell in every interview as a kid who actively spoke with them, became friends, and helped recruit them to Alabama. Great size, better than average arm, and an excellent work ethic- as evidenced by a speedy recovery from ACL surgery. I really expect this kid to be in the battle 2015 and 2016. He "gets it" like McElroy and has McCarron ability already.

WMack4Bama's Take
Cornwell is a natural leader and is very charismatic. He's a very big QB and he's not a statue. He's very athletic. The torn ACL is tough, but he was more than likely going to redshirt this season anyway. Spending time with OC Lane Kiffin and being around a QB battle now will give him a leg up on what will inevitably be a battle between him and 2015 QB commit Blake Barnett in 2016. I have no doubt in my mind that Cornwell has the ability to give us a dimension that we've rarely seen at the QB position at Alabama.

Last edited by a moderator:

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Cornwell is just a cool dude. He has all the physical ability that you could ask for in a quarterback, he's already shown great leadership for as young as he is, and if it's apparent by everything he posts that he truly bleeds crimson. He's going to be something special if he stays healthy.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I really appreciate you adding the videos for these guys in their evaluation. I enjoy how easy they made it look when they were in high school.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
I am really high on this guy. I think our QB situation should be in good hands over the next 4-5 years. I picture a Ben Roth or Joe Nameth type person. Big, Strong arm, and a great leader.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.