We've Got Ourselves a Kicker Guys (Scrimmage Discussion)

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I think a lot of the media's "opinions" are simply based on Jimbo Fisher's high praise of the skills and talents of JC, not anything he has done or anything they have "seen".
There's been a feeling for years that Blake's not really a QB - when he first moved to the position many thought it was temporary but necessary because we only had two QBs when Phillip Sims left the program.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Gunny how Greg totally changed. A few weeks ago he said Sims had Zero shot to be the starter.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
All this back and forth about who will be the QB next week is funny. I want them to play whoever gives us the best chance to win. IMHO right now it is Blake. I am not a coach and it is simply my opinion. My concern about Blake though is his health. I just don't think he can take the pounding he will likely have to take week in week out in the SEC. The zone read is great if you can manage not get killed running it. He'll make some plays with his feet that Coker can't do physically, but he needs to be smart about exposing his body to to much abuse. Coker has been the most hyped player by far this year never to take a live snap for his current team. He just got here in in late May and to expect him to come in and be Peyton Manning is more than unfair. He needs time to adjust to the system and the recievers.

Both kids need to play so we have a solid QB in case one of the get hurt.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
*Breaking news* We now have a starting quarterback! His name is WEDON"TKNOW Kid. He hails from B'ham. he has never passed the ball nor played in a offense since junior high school. Many experts compare him to the AJ McCarron.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
The BR article actually shows why so many support Coker. Everything the article praises Blake for is his leadership and knowledge of the system.

If they would have just come out and said he's better than Coker most of this would probably go away and he would have already been named as the starter.

So it's circular: Sims is a good team player and leader, he's gotten better, but JC is the one with the obvious talent that needs to be tapped.

It's true that the media has driven the debate in favor of JC, but the knowledgable Bama fan knows the Bama qb has got to be a little more than just a team player and good leader, which BS certainly is.
I think you just answered what a lot already understand but some don't; until the "keg" of talent starts spewing some frothy "getting it", Sims has progressed far enough to where he can start, if JC doesn't show enough progress. I don't know if Sims can get much better, but all indications from practices and scrimmages that I have seen indicate JC can, and by a large measure relative to his "talent", needs to.

Bamanooga

1st Team
Sep 7, 2008
Signal Mountain, TN
KNEW we had ourselves a kicker. Watched him kick his high school team into the Georgia state championship. Probably wouldn't have noticed him if reporters hadn't labeled him Adam-Griffith-who-committed-to-Alabama in every breath. He's a powerhouse. Scott was a nice surprise.

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
Awesome job by the kickers. Gtown says it was a 'pleasant' surprise... I say it was astonishing. This is a huge percentage improvement to the probability of winning a given game. Go back a few years and add, say, 3-9 points to every game due to made FGs and more field flips.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
What I really want to know is why we didn't give him a shot last year earlier in the year? That dude has some power behind his approach.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.