We've Got Ourselves a Kicker Guys (Scrimmage Discussion)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Re: We've Got Ourselves a Kicker Guys

Yup. I just grow weary of people crowning Coker as the heir-apparant based on a bad scrimmage, all while ignoring actual game stats.

It's like people want to believe Sims sucks. SMH
I can hardly imagine a scenario that both won't play early. Unless something drastic changes, I would imagine our first 2-3 games will be the true tryout.

I can't imagine both not playing quite a bit during the first two games especially.

Hopefully when we get to Florida on Sept. 20 we'll have one of them ready to take the reins!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Agreed. I think a few more may have had hopes for Coker more than they simply had doubts about Sims (based on A-day last year).
TBQH, I have had my doubts with Sims but it isn't like Coker is some All-American coming our way. He's been just as "doubt worthy" as Sims in his duty. Sims demonstrated flashes with his legs but has shown some poor decision making on throws past the hashes. Coker (at FSU) demonstrated flashes with his strong arm but he was a slow and questionable deliverer of passes over the middle.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Glad to hear Griffith is picking it up; great news and I hope he has found his consistency. As for the QB's, I hope they both do well, and I hope we end the season with two QB's who could lead the team. I have no qualms if CNS decides at any point to replace one with the other if the one sputters for two or three series in a row and gets nothing done. I am happy we have two "good" quarterbacks.
As for the rushing, the stats I saw look, well, weak; I hope this is because the defense has stepped up and not that the offensive line has stepped back. I have been of a mind since the spring that this defense could rank right up there with the best Bama has ever had.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

From the last two scrimmages RB rushing and RB receiving stats it appears that CLK is going all Reggie Bush with his plans for Drake!!! :D
And Drake is that kind of player too. We just have to make sure he doesn't enter the doghouse at some point this season and we'll be ok. I still often wonder what he done during the Iron Bowl last year to not even get another carry but it seemed he done something to tick Coach off.

As for the QB battle is definitely think both play in the WVU game. After that who knows. I don't care which one gets it IMHO, I just want to win.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Glad to hear Griffith is picking it up; great news and I hope he has found his consistency. As for the QB's, I hope they both do well, and I hope we end the season with two QB's who could lead the team. I have no qualms if CNS decides at any point to replace one with the other if the one sputters for two or three series in a row and gets nothing done. I am happy we have two "good" quarterbacks.
As for the rushing, the stats I saw look, well, weak; I hope this is because the defense has stepped up and not that the offensive line has stepped back. I have been of a mind since the spring that this defense could rank right up there with the best Bama has ever had.
No rushing stats released for the top 3 guys (only Drake's receiving stats). Was probably better than it sounds

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

It is almost comical to watch a thread titled "We have ourselves a kicker" turn into another Coker v Sims back-and-forth.

I'm sticking with Cooper Bateman. :)

In related news, please, please, O dieties of football, let the part about having a kicker and punter be correct.

Last edited:

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Our schedule works in our favor. We will have 3 games before beginning SEC play to find an identity as a football team and by that time the QB's will have sorted things out for us.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

Yup. I just grow weary of people crowning Coker as the heir-apparant based on a bad scrimmage, all while ignoring actual game stats.

It's like people want to believe Sims sucks. SMH
I think people just wonder how well Sims will do against good competition. That doesn't necessarily mean that people just think he sucks. Blake completed 18 or 29 for 167 and TD's last year, but he only threw the ball 5 times against SEC competition last year. He went 1 of 5, for 10 yards, so that's not a big enough sample to tell anything. His only game with more than 4 attempts was Georgia St, and he went 14 of 18 for 130 yards and a TD, and he looked very good doing it. The A-day game scared people about Blake's ability to be a big time QB, unfairly or not, after hearing all through the spring how much he had improved.

The same exact thing can be said for Coker, but I think people hoped (or are hoping) that he can be the NFL caliber QB that he has been hyped to be, or at least, has the potential to be. At this point, though, Coker is even more unproven than Blake on the field. The only certainty with Coker so far is that fact that he has a fantastic arm, but there's much more to being a successful QB than that. If he can't grasp the mental side of it or cannot make good decisions, he's not going to start for Saban, no matter strong his arm is.

The mixed information coming out of camp has people in a frenzy. I have chosen to just watch it play out. I saw people take sides and get all worked up over AJ vs Phillip Sims. That ol' Saban fella seems to know what he's doing and our last QB battle turned out OK, so Ima let him handle it.

Last edited:

And Drake is that kind of player too. We just have to make sure he doesn't enter the doghouse at some point this season and we'll be ok. I still often wonder what he done during the Iron Bowl last year to not even get another carry but it seemed he done something to tick Coach off.

As for the QB battle is definitely think both play in the WVU game. After that who knows. I don't care which one gets it IMHO, I just want to win.
With Drake, he's that homerun type guy more so than the other RBs. I'm not saying the other guys are any slouches, but Drake has THAT speed out in the open. He just needs to stay focused.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

With Drake, he's that homerun type guy more so than the other RBs. I'm not saying the other guys are any slouches, but Drake has THAT speed out in the open. He just needs to stay focused.
He has an extremely fast first step, reminiscent of Kerry Goode before the knee injury.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

Blake is making better decisions....in practice. Not really surprising as it has been thoroughly discussed Blake is a very good practice player but not as good when the lights come on.

This is what I am thinking. I am really hoping that it can transfer over to the big game for him. If so..he is going to be a good QB for us. This is why, I think he should start the first game and if he struggles then put in Coker.

It is good to have two options.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

There were also a lot of problems with the center QB exchange, dumb penalties, and dropped passes. The punter looked great and so did the kicking and special teams in general. I think the defensive is going to be special this year. It may have to be. Lets face it, whoever the QB is, he will do lots of hand offs to the RB's. My biggest concern is the O-line's ability to run block.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm seeing split time the first three games at qb, there is a big difference between being good in a black jersey and a white or crimson one, if you get what I mean.

But it's better news about our kickers IMO, I just hope it continues to stay that way

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

It doesn't matter who's named the starter, I honestly think both QB's will play a lot this season, but, I do think Blake has bid his time & has done all that's been asked of him..I hope that he's named the starter, cause I think he earned that honor, I hope we see both QB's play a lot in all our games..And then we'll see Coker take over the offense next year..

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014

If Blake Sims wins the starting job, you know who's gonna be the most shocked of all? Jimbo Fisher. But not nearly as shocked as when Sims shreds his defense.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.