We've Got Ourselves a Kicker Guys (Scrimmage Discussion)

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2014/8/...ide-fall-football-practice-report-scrimmage-2

Slightly different spin on the qb race. This report says JC was 13-17 with one td and one int. BS, according to this, was 12-15 with 1 td, and a 60 yard pic six int.

Also read a report on Scout from Kirk McNair (BamaMag) that pretty much said his eyewitness sources said neither qb was very impressive.

Seems to be a lot of varying reports. Saw a couple of folks who said they've seen tweets that JC was 3-17.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2014/8/...ide-fall-football-practice-report-scrimmage-2

Slightly different spin on the qb race. This report says JC was 13-17 with one td and one int. BS, according to this, was 12-15 with 1 td, and a 60 yard pic six int.

Also read a report on Scout from Kirk McNair (BamaMag) that pretty much said his eyewitness sources said neither qb was very impressive.

Seems to be a lot of varying reports. Saw a couple of folks who said they've seen tweets that JC was 3-17.
i will take Mack's word over any of these guys.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It doesn't matter who's named the starter, I honestly think both QB's will play a lot this season, but, I do think Blake has bid his time & has done all that's been asked of him..I hope that he's named the starter, cause I think he earned that honor, I hope we see both QB's play a lot in all our games..And then we'll see Coker take over the offense next year..
Idk if coker would go through the stuff he went through at fsu again if he doesn't get significant playing time because Bateman and Cornwall are probably going to be serious contenders at his job if he isn't heir apparent.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Frankly all the Qb's played some today. I am not convinced that either QB has won the battle based on what happened today. It would not necessarily surprise me to see a dark horse emerge, but it is probably unlikely. It is clear Coker is still learning the system. He was not the most accurate today and I have my doubts about a kid who had 3 years to win the Job at FSU and didn't do it. All this hype does not mean he is the best QB for our system. Blake very well may give us the best opportunity to win. He has that added dimension that is hard to defend and he can be more than adequate passer , but he won't win any games with his arm.

The D-line is not just good, they have the chance to be great. Middle LB sort of worries me. DePriest knows the plays, but may not have the wheels to be good in coverage. Reuben Foster has the speed, but doesn't know where to be. I think the bank end is going to be just fine. Really impressed by the 2 freshman Brown, and Humphrey.

The O-line did good in pass protection, but struggled in run blocking, but that could be very well because of the D-line. The O-line won't face another D-line as good as the one they saw today all year. Chris Black looked really good and I hope he makes it on the field more this year. He flashes some great speed and moves. I thought Tyren Jones looked good today, but again he has a lot of RB's ahead of him. The big 3 rb's all played, but not much. Drake has a ton of talent if he can stay out of the doghouse. He seems to have had a light come on though. Lets hope so.

This may be a team that relies on the defense early until they can decide on a QB and get to a point where the offense is consistent.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
West Virginia isn't great, but they are a better test than Kent State was for A.J. and Philip. I have no idea who should start as I've never seen Coker throw and only seen Sims in mop up duty. I'll yield to Saban's judgement.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
Everything I have read on this thread leads me to believe that Blake Sims could possibly be our best quarterback. That really scares me.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Frankly all the Qb's played some today. I am not convinced that either QB has won the battle based on what happened today. It would not necessarily surprise me to see a dark horse emerge, but it is probably unlikely. It is clear Coker is still learning the system. He was not the most accurate today and I have my doubts about a kid who had 3 years to win the Job at FSU and didn't do it. All this hype does not mean he is the best QB for our system. Blake very well may give us the best opportunity to win. He has that added dimension that is hard to defend and he can be more than adequate passer , but he won't win any games with his arm.

The D-line is not just good, they have the chance to be great. Middle LB sort of worries me. DePriest knows the plays, but may not have the wheels to be good in coverage. Reuben Foster has the speed, but doesn't know where to be. I think the bank end is going to be just fine. Really impressed by the 2 freshman Brown, and Humphrey.

The O-line did good in pass protection, but struggled in run blocking, but that could be very well because of the D-line. The O-line won't face another D-line as good as the one they saw today all year. Chris Black looked really good and I hope he makes it on the field more this year. He flashes some great speed and moves. I thought Tyren Jones looked good today, but again he has a lot of RB's ahead of him. The big 3 rb's all played, but not much. Drake has a ton of talent if he can stay out of the doghouse. He seems to have had a light come on though. Lets hope so.

This may be a team that relies on the defense early until they can decide on a QB and get to a point where the offense is consistent.
How did Reggie Ragland do today?

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Thanks for this report. Tell us more:)

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Re: We've Got Ourselves a Kicker Guys

Yup. I just grow weary of people crowning Coker as the heir-apparant based on a bad scrimmage, all while ignoring actual game stats.

It's like people want to believe Sims sucks. SMH
I don't care one way or the other figuring CNS will make the call based on far more knowledge and information than any of us have. CNS has used two QB's before, more so when at LSU, so I wouldn't be surprised to see both play quite a bit.

However, it is a fact that Sims stunk it up during the A-Day game and I don't think any of us want to see a repeat of that performance in a real game.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Everything I have read on this thread leads me to believe that Blake Sims could possibly be our best quarterback. That really scares me.
"Everything?"

Sounds like Sims had a good day today.

Reports from the past week, reported earlier in the thread, is that Coker had a very good week of practice.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

If our defense is vastly improved, it will definitely give our O time to find themselves!!!

Love the report!!!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Until these quarterbacks perform in a real game I wouldn't put too much stock into any of these scrimmages. Their performances in real games will ultimately determine the starter. I've seen players who play great in practice and are awful during games and on the other end of the spectrum I've seen guys be mediocre in practice and be world beaters in real games. At this stage it is nothing more than a waiting game.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Re: We've Got Ourselves a Kicker Guys

There is lots of talk about the QB battle. However, from what we are hearing in the process of that discussion may be more important and season changing than who our starting QB will be. Almost every time we we hear bad news about our QB's, one of two names pop up. Brown and Humphrey. I know Humphrey came in late this fall but he is making waves on the field and skyrocketing up the depth chart. Its very possible we could have two Freshmen CB's starting this year. And these two guys are not only Shutdown CB material, they are play making game changer material. We have not had one CB like that in a while, much less potentially two at thr same time. From what i understand its going to be very hard to keep Humphrey off the field and I think Brown has already got his corner. The scary part is, Humphrey is looking to be significantly better than even Brown.

Take that for what its worth and some of the other guys with connections on here can add to this or downplay it if they have different info than myself. Practice is one thing and you have to be in position to play CB for Saban. Freshmen do make mental mistakes. But these two guys seem to have the ability and skills to make game changing plays to make up for any mistakes.

Some may not like this comparison. But think Honey Badgers ball hawking skill with patrick peterson cover skills. Yea I know, thats putting the bar way up there early on two true freshmen.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Until these quarterbacks perform in a real game I wouldn't put too much stock into any of these scrimmages. Their performances in real games will ultimately determine the starter. I've seen players who play great in practice and are awful during games and on the other end of the spectrum I've seen guys be mediocre in practice and be world beaters in real games. At this stage it is nothing more than a waiting game.
Sage advice!

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
If the defense is as sick as what we expect...I see that we really just need a "game manager". So the one who knows the system the best and can keep the ball out of the hands of the other team should start.

I admit, I was caught up in the hype of Coker coming over. But honestly after reading all the practice/scrimmage notes..I am really liking Sims now. I have a lot of respect for his workmanship.

I just can't wait for our first game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.