We've Got Ourselves a Kicker Guys (Scrimmage Discussion)

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Re: We've Got Ourselves a Kicker Guys

There is lots of talk about the QB battle. However, from what we are hearing in the process of that discussion may be more important and season changing than who our starting QB will be. Almost every time we we hear bad news about our QB's, one of two names pop up. Brown and Humphrey. I know Humphrey came in late this fall but he is making waves on the field and skyrocketing up the depth chart. Its very possible we could have two Freshmen CB's starting this year. And these two guys are not only Shutdown CB material, they are play making game changer material. We have not had one CB like that in a while, much less potentially two at thr same time. From what i understand its going to be very hard to keep Humphrey off the field and I think Brown has already got his corner. The scary part is, Humphrey is looking to be significantly better than even Brown.

Take that for what its worth and some of the other guys with connections on here can add to this or downplay it if they have different info than myself. Practice is one thing and you have to be in position to play CB for Saban. Freshmen do make mental mistakes. But these two guys seem to have the ability and skills to make game changing plays to make up for any mistakes.

Some may not like this comparison. But think Honey Badgers ball hawking skill with patrick peterson cover skills. Yea I know, thats putting the bar way up there early on two true freshmen.

Great stuff. Do you think Eddie Jackson will be back for the start of the season?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

At this point, I think only Blake Sims could stop that from happening.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

There is lots of talk about the QB battle. However, from what we are hearing in the process of that discussion may be more important and season changing than who our starting QB will be. Almost every time we we hear bad news about our QB's, one of two names pop up. Brown and Humphrey. I know Humphrey came in late this fall but he is making waves on the field and skyrocketing up the depth chart. Its very possible we could have two Freshmen CB's starting this year. And these two guys are not only Shutdown CB material, they are play making game changer material. We have not had one CB like that in a while, much less potentially two at thr same time. From what i understand its going to be very hard to keep Humphrey off the field and I think Brown has already got his corner. The scary part is, Humphrey is looking to be significantly better than even Brown.

Take that for what its worth and some of the other guys with connections on here can add to this or downplay it if they have different info than myself. Practice is one thing and you have to be in position to play CB for Saban. Freshmen do make mental mistakes. But these two guys seem to have the ability and skills to make game changing plays to make up for any mistakes.

Some may not like this comparison. But think Honey Badgers ball hawking skill with patrick peterson cover skills. Yea I know, thats putting the bar way up there early on two true freshmen.
Nothing I've heard that is contrary to your praise of the freshman corners. I think it certainly gives us depth at that position, one that some of us (and I was at the front of that line) were concerned about going into the spring. I'm not sure I'd say that Brown has one corner position locked up already (although that may well be the case), but I think we're gonna see a LOT of both freshman corners this season. Of course, there's also other guys (like Cyrus Jones, Eddie Jackson, and Bradley Sylve) who have had very good camps as well. So more than anything, it's good for the team to see so many guys making the coaches feel comfortable.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008

Great stuff. Do you think Eddie Jackson will be back for the start of the season?

As Mack stated Sylve and Jones are both looking good and above adequate players to earn a starting position at CB. In my personal opinion, Jackson is the only CB with game speed and instincts to challenge Brown and Humphrey. The two freshmen have all the tools and I mean all of them. Whether they can fully understand Sabans scheme and make him comfortable is their only obstacle in earning a starting job. Inexperience can be too big to overcome even with elite talent. Time will tell. My prediction, by game 6 the two freshmen will be starting at CB if not before. Jacksons instinct could win out if they falter. But what was an area of concern coming into this spring is probably going to turn out as a top 5 position ranking in the country. And 2nd on our Defense, only because our DL is going to be Sick. Mack and Jam have hinted and even came out and said our DL is solid but if they both told you what they really believe and hear, we could be looking at a DL that rivals 92 or even better.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina

Jimbo Fisher didn't do us or Coker any favors by flapping his gums all summer.
Jimbo knew what he was doing. He also knows he may be facing Bama in the playoffs (God, I hate that word referring to college football :) )

The best thing he can do is try to feed a QB controversy meme. Don't you think he would rather have Coker as a back up to Winston than to face him for all the marbles after dissing him for a rapist peacock??

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Everything I have read on this thread leads me to believe that Blake Sims could possibly be our best quarterback. That really scares me.
Yah, God forbid an OC known for developing QBs comes along and molds Blake Sims into an awesome QB. That would just suck.

Good grief, where do some of you people come from?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
FWIW, I don't care who starts at QB - I just want the best player to help Bama win.

Some of you guys have figuratively put your chips on one guy or the other - that's not what a team does. Get with it.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I wish we could have one thread that doesn't insult Blake Sims.
Where is there an insult about sims???

No one to my knowledge, show me if I am wrong and I'll admit it, has blatantly thrown an insult at Blake sims. I've seen people PREDICT jacob coker to be the starter and they have the right to do so just like the Blake sims fans do. People have brought up SIMS A DAY GAME DUTY and it can be agreeable it wasn't that great but most have also acknowledged Cokers FSU games at well.

I think most of the "insults" , as you call them,that are coming at sims are mearly opinions that coker will eventually win the job, but let's take into account that we are talking about two career backup quarterbacks at this point with little to show. But if you want "insults", you really should look at some things emotional people have posted about coker, so don't act like people are only "insulting" sims because coker was the perceived favorite

Bottom line it's better not to take a side in this because when we look back at these threads at the end of year we might look silly at some of the things we have posted about our boys.

With that said rtr

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I agree 100% with as always Brad..If Blake is named our starter, that means he's won the confidence of Coach Saban & Kiffin, and that's all i need to know myself..Did Blake look like Peyton Manning throwing the ball in the A-Day Game, of course not, but, he didn't look near as bad as some are making him out to be..He looked good actually throwing short & medium range passes..As long as he does that..Along with our strong running game we will always have under Coach Saban..We have all the pieces needed to make another run at the NC..The more reps he gets as our starter, should he be named our starter, is all Blake or Coker needs, cause they haven't had actual game time reps as a QB..Blake can lead our offense if he's named our starter..And I won't be shocked if he is & he leads us to our next NC..
Yah, God forbid an OC known for developing QBs comes along and molds Blake Sims into an awesome QB. That would just suck.

Good grief, where do some of you people come from?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You don't consider this an insult to Sims?
I kinda just saw that lol, but the point was the coker vs sims thing is getting out of hand where if you say you pick coker you are insulting sims. I think shots are being thrown both ways and people are getting overly emotional both ways

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN

Yup. I just grow weary of people crowning Coker as the heir-apparant based on a bad scrimmage, all while ignoring actual game stats.

It's like people want to believe Sims sucks. SMH
Sorta reminds me of Zow-Watts, only with a lot fewer stars...

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I was there today. Sims was better, and it wasn't close.

I have no idea what has happened in previous practices, or what will happen in future ones. But today, that was the case.

Also, I happy to say that Adam Griffith made me eat my words. He was outstanding. I hope he continues to prove me wrong.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I've been pulling for Sims since the spring. The guy is loyal, and a team player. I never wanted it handed to him, but if he earns the nod from CNS no one but Blake and his mom will be happier than I will be, but we all need to trust the coaching staff to make the right choice. They have been doing that since '07 with an improved JP Wilson then GMac and then AJ. I agree that Sims haters on this board go a bit too far for me. I don't get it. He has never had a real shot to prove himself in a live game situation with the whole play book open, but you would think he cost Bama a game by throwing 8 interceptions. I will be pulling for whoever is under center, but I hope no matter how the QB competition comes out that Blake has some sort of role in the offense.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Blake is a very good practice player but not as good when the lights come on.
We are basing that on extremely limited play. We can say oh hey, when it matters he stinks up the joint. But, we are actually talking about A-Day and garbage minutes, and that's a subjective opinion at that. So, what's to say he wouldn't have stepped up had it actually meant more? On the flip side, we don't even have quite that much to go off of when it comes to Coker. I watched him play last year every chance I got, but I still didn't see a whole lot, so I can't say much besides he looked a bit shakier than Sims did in similar situations.

The truth is both need to show more than we've seen for us to all have anywhere near the kind of confidence we had in AJ. Then again, AJ had to do the same thing to, and I'm really starting to feel fairly good about things. All along I thought Coker would be the guy, but since he was a true freshman I've been telling people that Sims arm was actually pretty good. Just like 2011, there's plenty of reasons to be optimistic that who ever wins the job will perform well. Also, with hearing about Blake running the no huddle some in practice, I am pretty firm in my believe that no matter what, there will be a package involving him which could come in handy.

I'm actually a bit more cynical about how Griffin will perform in clutch situations, but it's great to hear he is making the kicks.

Last edited:

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
I was there today. Sims was better, and it wasn't close.

I have no idea what has happened in previous practices, or what will happen in future ones. But today, that was the case.

Also, I happy to say that Adam Griffith made me eat my words. He was outstanding. I hope he continues to prove me wrong.
Returning to the topic alluded to in the thread title (kicking) and away from the ever-tiring QB controversy, I've been high on Adam since I first learned of him during his recruitment. The kid has NFL stud placekicker written all over him.

IMO, he really got a bad rap last year primarily due to his single 57 yard (!!!) missed game-winning attempt in the biggest game of the year, which also happens to be the biggest rivalry in the country, and also happened to carry a winner-take-all outcome. If that kick is made, we likely go on to beat Mizzou in the SECCG and play for the NC. As it turns out, because of the way it was missed, our arch-rival goes on to vie for glory while we play in an also-ran bowl. On top of all that, it was only the third attempt of his collegiate career as a redshirt freshman. Talk about pressure on a big stage, especially for a guy who isn't used to it. Come on: 57 yards?! He wasn't too far off at that! Shows a lot of faith that CNS must have in him to even put him in that spot.

I'm still behind him 100% - he's going to be an absolute stud. Vastly more worried about our punting game.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.