We've Got Ourselves a Kicker Guys (Scrimmage Discussion)

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Have we had a QB controversy in the past 25 years that wasn't involving one black QB and one white QB? If so, it wasn't a big one. I had hopes for Coker, because Sims seems to play the position more like David Palmer than AJ McCarron

But, if he knows the system, doesn't turn the ball over, I would be happy to run, kick, and defend our way to. Natl Championship.

The biggest concern I would have is - why can't any of these high profile QBs we have recruited take it from him?

Do they not want it bad enough? Are they lacking the killer instinct? If they can't beat Sims in practice, can they beat other teams in the heat of a game?

AJ was not going to be bested....it was in his DNA, he was a survivor, a warrior. Sims seems like a warrior to me. The guys behind him seem to not want it yet...

Honestly, I will take passion to win over technique and arm strength, especially with the cast he's surrounded with.

RTR

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
I bought into the Coker hype right away. I think this was partly because of the will-he/won't he breathless daily Coker updates during his recruitment. A lot was said back then, most of it with the meme that maybe Sims wasn't up to the starting job and that Coker would be the savior.

However, Sims has been in the system for a long time. That helps a lot. Coker has some real catchup to do, that hurts him a lot. Auburn got to the big game with a QB who barely threw. Now the newness has worn off, it would not surprise me at all if Sims started the first several games or the whole season. If you recall, during the battle between AJ and Phillip Sims, it was Sims' gameday mistakes as much as AJ's success that created the separation.

If Blake goes in, manages the system, and doesn't make too many mistakes, I'd say he is our starter for the season.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Have we had a QB controversy in the past 25 years that wasn't involving one black QB and one white QB? If so, it wasn't a big one. I had hopes for Coker, because Sims seems to play the position more like David Palmer than AJ McCarron
RTR
You bring up two points:

1. Shame on anybody (not saying you are Cajun) who is trying to make this qb race about "race." If you are white and you don't want a black qb, shame on you. If you are black and you want Sims to be quarterback because he's simply black, same thing.

2. You nail the point that I think the Sims doubters have about Blake not playing the position like we've been accustomed with Gmac and, most recently, AJ. I think that is the biggest factor going against Blake and that many had hoped for in Coker. The wild card is that with a new OC we may see the qb position and how the qb is used change with Sims or Coker.

Last edited:

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
Re: We've Got Ourselves a Kicker Guys

As for the rushing, the stats I saw look, well, weak; I hope this is because the defense has stepped up and not that the offensive line has stepped back.
There were also a lot of problems with the center QB exchange....
Lets face it, whoever the QB is, he will do lots of hand offs to the RB's. My biggest concern is the O-line's ability to run block.
The OL is my biggest concern. If they do not play well, it won't matter much who the QB is. If they play well, I'm guessing either QB will do well.

I am glad to hear that the kicking game is looking good.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Not really sure what Coach Saban will say in the presser, but Griffin had a STRONG scrimmage going 5-5 (as did Marlon Humphrey, but we'll talk about that in another thread), hitting several good consistently from 48 yards on in.

J.K. Scott also hit a short FG and averaged around 45 yds on all of his punts

BTW: Another monster day for Drake, too

Scrimmage stats released:

Scrimmage Receiving Leaders: Drake 3-77 1TD, Stewart 3-68, Cooper 5-63 1TD, Black 5-46.

Scrimmage Rushing Leaders: Jones 12-44 1TD, Tenpenny 10-12.

Scrimmage Defensive Leaders: DePriest 7 tackles, 1TFL, Lee 6 tackles 1 sack, Allen 4 tackles, 2 sacks, Collins 4 tackles, 1 sack, 2 breakups

Mack's note: They didn't release INT stats, but I can tell you that Humphrey had 2 (1 off of each QB) and Brown had 1 (off Coker).
but can he hit a 57 yarder with no time on the clock...or at least get it out of the endzone.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN

it did not need "fixing".
It didn't need fixing, but I agree with both sentiments. I've been saying that we shouldn't throw our other QBs under the bus since I first heard rumors about Coker transferring. It's been especially harsh on Sims, but most of us don't have ground to stand on when we insult any of our players for on-field performance. Some of the idiotic things players do in their spare time, however...

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

It didn't need fixing, but I agree with both sentiments. I've been saying that we shouldn't throw our other QBs under the bus since I first heard rumors about Coker transferring. It's been especially harsh on Sims, but most of us don't have ground to stand on when we insult any of our players for on-field performance. Some of the idiotic things players do in their spare time, however...
I should have took the time to post what you said. I was mistaken to think he would get my point.

Bamaboda1

Suspended
Sep 1, 2006
Kathleen, GA

Thanks for the post, Mack. I always enjoy your "take" on things "BAMA". QB controversy aside, its good to hear Adam Griffith had a good day. I remember looking at his highlights and youtube videos when we were recruiting him a couple of years ago. My thoughts were that the kid either had an incredible leg, or a trick photographer. I know he can be a great one for us and I'm looking for him to regain his confidence. Hope all of us grown-ups can help with that.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.