We've Got Ourselves a Kicker Guys (Scrimmage Discussion)

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
That will be hard to do. The bar is set really high.
I agree. Tiffin already enjoys a 28pt lead over Griffith after their freshman seasons due to Tiffin getting a good bit more playing time after Christensen's injury. I also think our offense stands to be more productive over the next three years than it was over the 2006-2009 span, resulting in a lower FG/EP ratio than Tiffin enjoyed. He might come close though. Depends on how consistent he can be, especially inside of 40yds. He's got a better leg for distance than Tiffin did.

I agree. Tiffin already enjoys a 28pt lead over Griffith after their freshman seasons due to Tiffin getting a good bit more playing time after Christensen's injury. I also think our offense stands to be more productive over the next three years than it was over the 2006-2009 span, resulting in a lower FG/EP ratio than Tiffin enjoyed. He might come close though. Depends on how consistent he can be, especially inside of 40yds. He's got a better leg for distance than Tiffin did.
The offensive production is what I was thinking. I think he'll be close too. I just don't think he will get it, but that's ok. We don't need him to be a record breaker, just consistently good. That's something I know he'll achieve if he does what CNS says.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

briancm

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2003
Sheffield, AL USA
It sure will be nice when Coach picks a QB, so threads that start out talking about our kickers, won't turn into ANOTHER QB thread. Just my 2 cents. If the team is as divided as the fans are on who should be QB, we're in real trouble.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Returning to the topic alluded to in the thread title (kicking) and away from the ever-tiring QB controversy, I've been high on Adam since I first learned of him during his recruitment. The kid has NFL stud placekicker written all over him.

IMO, he really got a bad rap last year primarily due to his single 57 yard (!!!) missed game-winning attempt in the biggest game of the year, which also happens to be the biggest rivalry in the country, and also happened to carry a winner-take-all outcome. If that kick is made, we likely go on to beat Mizzou in the SECCG and play for the NC. As it turns out, because of the way it was missed, our arch-rival goes on to vie for glory while we play in an also-ran bowl. On top of all that, it was only the third attempt of his collegiate career as a redshirt freshman. Talk about pressure on a big stage, especially for a guy who isn't used to it. Come on: 57 yards?! He wasn't too far off at that! Shows a lot of faith that CNS must have in him to even put him in that spot.

I'm still behind him 100% - he's going to be an absolute stud. Vastly more worried about our punting game.
I haven't heard many folks blaming Griffith for the miss at the barn. Certainly, nobody who would carry more credibility than a regular caller on Finebaum's show.

I have heard anxiety based on performance in the spring scrimmages and in this past A Day game. I was one of the worried ones, and based on what I saw with my own eyes, it was warranted.

I'm glad to say that the Adam Griffith I saw yesterday didn't look like the same person. In terms of demeanor on the sideline, confidence lining up, and actual results, it looked like someone switched jerseys. He also had a real good kickoff -- about 7 yards into the end zone, with nice hang time.

It almost looked like he might have been slightly dinged in the spring. That, or he's had a real mental breakthrough during the offseason. Either way, I'm glad he's served us all a plate of crow.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
It sure will be nice when Coach picks a QB, so threads that start out talking about our kickers, won't turn into ANOTHER QB thread. Just my 2 cents. If the team is as divided as the fans are on who should be QB, we're in real trouble.
Me too. I am glad LSU posters are banned because we couldn't handle another fan base coming on here asking about our QB situation. We get rather heated over it ourselves. I am glad we all pull for the same team.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I know people complain about the arguing about QB, but honestly, I love the debate. It would be different if we fans truly sided with one of the QBs, but I do believe we all - even if we have a QB preference - just want the best QB who give us the best chance of winning.

And this one is fascinating because you have two polar opposites - one has been here for four years, another just joined. One is a natural runner, the other a natural thrower. One is a native Alabamian, the other not. One joined the team with little fanfare, the other joined the team with most assuming the starting job is his.

But the thing they have in common is that most of us fans really don't know much about either one as a starting QB.

And, yeah, nice to hear about Griffith looking good. That could really mean a lot to this team.

briancm

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2003
Sheffield, AL USA
Having a solid kicker is all we need. If we are in the position to have to win a game on a 62 yarder, most kickers are not going to make that kick MOST of the tries. I do like our chances if it's 48 or less. Hope Griffith likes pressure, cause I think he is going to have to win a game or two for us this year. Missed key field goals last year, that were a lot closer than 62 yards, cost us much needed points. Pulling for Griffith to have a solid year with the only misses, if any, coming at times when we don't NEED the points. Maybe he could stick a dollar bill, one of his own, in his sock. Remember Money? Ice ran through his veins.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Re: We've Got Ourselves a Kicker Guys

Does anyone really think that neither Yeldon nor Henry had a carry yesterday? Something is fishy about these stats. Probably had them ready pre-scrimmage!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I haven't heard many folks blaming Griffith for the miss at the barn. Certainly, nobody who would carry more credibility than a regular caller on Finebaum's show.

I have heard anxiety based on performance in the spring scrimmages and in this past A Day game. I was one of the worried ones, and based on what I saw with my own eyes, it was warranted.

I'm glad to say that the Adam Griffith I saw yesterday didn't look like the same person. In terms of demeanor on the sideline, confidence lining up, and actual results, it looked like someone switched jerseys. He also had a real good kickoff -- about 7 yards into the end zone, with nice hang time.

It almost looked like he might have been slightly dinged in the spring. That, or he's had a real mental breakthrough during the offseason. Either way, I'm glad he's served us all a plate of crow.
Saban said last week Adam had only missed a couple of FGs during practice, too. Seems like he had a big confidence boost during the summer.

Does anyone really think that neither Yeldon nor Henry had a carry yesterday? Something is fishy about these stats. Probably had them ready pre-scrimmage!
Scrimmage stats don't mean a thing. Saban can tell Jeff Puritan to release the actual stats, or he can tell Puritan to release random numbers. We don't know anything about the stats released. What defense did Tyren Jones face? What OL blocked for him? Every stat can be questioned.

Personally, I hoped Saban would release QB stats for both as 20-25, 250 yards and 3 TDs.

Last edited:

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
There are 2 possibilities if Sims starts:

1) Coker was never that good to begin with, just talented but not able to put everything together. That'd make Jimbo a liar.

2) Blake Sims is as good or better than Jameis Winston, meaning Jimbo was telling the truth but Blake is simply that good.

Im already thinking ahead to the 2015 QB though. The 2015 team could very well be Saban's best.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
There are 2 possibilities if Sims starts:

1) Coker was never that good to begin with, just talented but not able to put everything together. That'd make Jimbo a liar.

2) Blake Sims is as good or better than Jameis Winston, meaning Jimbo was telling the truth but Blake is simply that good.

Im already thinking ahead to the 2015 QB though. The 2015 team could very well be Saban's best.
Or, it could be: 3) Sims has been in the system for 4 years and Coker hasn't,
Or, it could be: 4) Coker gets stage fright
Or, it could be: 5) Some people can't see grey -- and always limit every situation to just 2 possibilites.....

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Or, it could be: 3) Sims has been in the system for 4 years and Coker hasn't,
Or, it could be: 4) Coker gets stage fright
Or, it could be: 5) Some people can't see grey -- and always limit every situation to just 2 possibilites.....
6) Coker is playing with the weight of the world on his shoulders because of expectations rooted in hyperbolic praise by his former head coach
7) Blake Sims is in a "nothing to lose" situation since everyone outside the program already thinks he's not gonna win the job

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

i think the next time a reporter asks who is going to be the starter at QB, Saban should say Shane Falco or Johnny Utah.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
6) Coker is playing with the weight of the world on his shoulders because of expectations rooted in hyperbolic praise by his former head coach
7) Blake Sims is in a "nothing to lose" situation since everyone outside the program already thinks he's not gonna win the job
8) You guys don't pick up on a playful opinion very well...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.