We've Got Ourselves a Kicker Guys (Scrimmage Discussion)

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
8) You guys don't pick up on a playful opinion very well...
Not even sure what you're referring to. But what I posted is what I think are very real factors right now. Both guys are working very hard. but Blake is much more loose and is vocally encouraging his teammates to fight through heat, pain, etc.....being a leader...And Jake is hanging in there fighting.

In any event, this is good for the team, especially the freshmen and sophomores (and even the juniors) who came into a situation with an incumbent QB. When Coach first got here, he was very vocal about everyone earning their positions. What better way to set the example than to have these two guys give their absolute best to take over under center.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
There are 2 possibilities if Sims starts:

1) Coker was never that good to begin with, just talented but not able to put everything together. That'd make Jimbo a liar.

2) Blake Sims is as good or better than Jameis Winston, meaning Jimbo was telling the truth but Blake is simply that good.

Im already thinking ahead to the 2015 QB though. The 2015 team could very well be Saban's best.

But, but, . . with Sims graduated and Coker off to the NFL[ after the first-ever shared Heisman] , we won't have an experienced QB!
:biggrin2:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
i think the next time a reporter asks who is going to be the starter at QB, Saban should say Shane Falco or Johnny Utah.
He would probably say neo, but in all seriousness the media kinda got on his last nerve on Thursday so anything about the qbs until he names the starter has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

1) Coker was never that good to begin with, just talented but not able to put everything together. That'd make Jimbo a liar.

2) Blake Sims is as good or better than Jameis Winston, meaning Jimbo was telling the truth but Blake is simply that good.

Im already thinking ahead to the 2015 QB though. The 2015 team could very well be Saban's best.
I've said all along that I believe the Fla St coaches were playing Coker up and the QB competition wasn't as close as they have tried to make it sound. I still believe that to this day.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
He would probably say neo, but in all seriousness the media kinda got on his last nerve on Thursday so anything about the qbs until he names the starter has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Now that is just silly. Neo wasn't a QB.

We will most likely not be getting anymore info from Saban on the matter until games are played. He warned them (the media), but they were too stupid to listen. Not surprising really.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
Re: We've Got Ourselves a Kicker Guys

Sims must have had a monster scrimmage b/c from a friend who has seen recent practices it appeared Coker was pulling away. If Sims can make the deep throws AND be a threat with his legs, this can be fun....
I was at the scrimmage yesterday, and the comments i'll make here are strictly based on this one practice.

1) QB's - While the coaches may have been watching for the "little things", from the stands I was simply using the eye test. Sims looked very capable of running our offense. Second best yesterday was Cooper Bateman, while Coker looked kind of lost - and moreso late in the scrimmage than earlier, which worries me about his confidence. If we had to go to battle today, and again this is only from what i witnessed yesterday, I'd feel very confident in Sims. If something happened to him, Bateman looked very confident as well. After that, we might be in trouble.

2) Punter - did we get Ray Guy's grandson??? That's all i will say. he has a howitzer for a leg. We've got a new weapon this year.

3) Placekicking - looked solid.

4) D-Line - stout. Our guys are going to be very hard to keep out of the opponents backfield - a few that stood out are Pettway, Reed, D-Hand, R-Evans. And we didn't even get to see A'Shawn - he's a beast and is resting as needed.

5) LB's - solid across the board.

6) Secondary - Looked solid. Good in coverage and in tackling - and their closing speed is awesome. Didn't see any obvious mental lapses that i can recall.

7) WR - TE's - a few too many drops, but several throws were behind them - mainly from Coker - timing work needed.

8) RB's - no comment needed really, but.... Talent, power and speed in bunches. Nothing too flashy shown yesterday, as expected. And the formation with Drake in the slot is going to be deadly - whether he's a decoy or a target - he has to be accounted for.

O-line - tough to judge with our talented, big, and speedy d-line, but i'm not worried. They looked solid.

Overall assessment - we'll be ready to play. Bring it on!

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA

To your first point, you must remember that Coker had a few years jump start on Winston to understand the playbook at FSU, so that could have been the equalizer. Now he comes in to Bama and has to learn the system, plays, receiver speed, etc in a very short time frame. That's a lot of ground to cover.

To your second point, Blake Sims may not be as good as Winston, but he's better than the other QB that you saw in last years BSCNCG. Sims throws better than Marshall, and he's faster (his 40 time is about a tenth of a second faster that Marshall). So again, what i saw yesterday, we got no worries to have a capable starting QB this year.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Well to be fair... I don't think coker would've held off Winston even if he was better,not saying he was, because if you look at it jamies is more like ej than coker is so the offense would naturally play more smoothly to his athlethic ability rather than a primarily pocket passing guy like coker. you also have to think jimbo probably had to guarantee him early playing time to get him away from sitting on the bench for a year behind McCarron or jumping into the unknown with auburn.

as for our qb situation... idk because you cant get a read off CNS because he is praising one on Monday and then the other on Tuesday, and the most common numbers for the scrimmage ,of Coker being 13-17 with a td and a int td and sims being 12-15 with 2 tds and a int, aren't exactly runaway numbers (idk if these are fact since I wasn't there but it is the most common unofficial stats across the internet and forums from people who say they were there) . I think the consensus is that sims is slightly better at running the offense at this point, but both will probably battle to the florida game and possibly beyond for the starting role.

but even without a great qb I think it is safe to say the minimum number of wins should be 9 to 10, but probably higher:cool:

Last edited:

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
What I'd honestly like to know has nothing to do with the qb's, kickers or any other position. The question for me is how in the world are you guys with the info able to get into a closed scrimmage?

I'm honestly baffled.

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
What I'd honestly like to know has nothing to do with the qb's, kickers or any other position. The question for me is how in the world are you guys with the info able to get into a closed scrimmage?

I'm honestly baffled.

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide
I would like to know how people see these practices when the media isn't even allowed too

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Well to be fair... I don't think coker would've held off Winston even if he was better,not saying he was, because if you look at it jamies is more like ej than coker is so the offense would naturally play more smoothly to his athlethic ability rather than a primarily pocket passing guy like coker.
Jameis Winston is primarily a pocket passer. Coker is actually probably a better runner. Just because Winston is black doesn't make him a dual threat QB. He ran for just over 200 yards last year at 2.5 yards a pop. EJ was also a pocket passer. He averaged under 3 yards a carry over 4 years and less than 20 yards rushing per game. Black QB does not equal dual threat.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Well to be fair... I don't think coker would've held off Winston even if he was better,not saying he was, because if you look at it jamies is more like ej than coker is so the offense would naturally play more smoothly to his athlethic ability rather than a primarily pocket passing guy like coker. you also have to think jimbo probably had to guarantee him early playing time to get him away from sitting on the bench for a year behind McCarron or jumping into the unknown with auburn.

as for our qb situation... idk because you cant get a read off CNS because he is praising one on Monday and then the other on Tuesday, and the most common numbers for the scrimmage ,of Coker being 13-17 with a td and a int td and sims being 12-15 with 2 tds and a int, aren't exactly runaway numbers (idk if these are fact since I wasn't there but it is the most common unofficial stats across the internet and forums from people who say they were there) . I think the consensus is that sims is slightly better at running the offense at this point, but both will probably battle to the florida game and possibly beyond for the starting role.

but even without a great qb I think it is safe to say the minimum number of wins should be 9 to 10, but probably higher:cool:
I've read everything from that stat to Coker being 3 of 17, no TD's, and 2 INT's. Can you guys that were that there clear that up? Just Win said Coker really struggled. 13 of 17, 1 TD, 1 INT doesn't sound like "really struggling" to me.

I was at the scrimmage yesterday, and the comments i'll make here are strictly based on this one practice.

1) QB's - While the coaches may have been watching for the "little things", from the stands I was simply using the eye test. Sims looked very capable of running our offense. Second best yesterday was Cooper Bateman, while Coker looked kind of lost - and moreso late in the scrimmage than earlier, which worries me about his confidence. If we had to go to battle today, and again this is only from what i witnessed yesterday, I'd feel very confident in Sims. If something happened to him, Bateman looked very confident as well. After that, we might be in trouble.

2) Punter - did we get Ray Guy's grandson??? That's all i will say. he has a howitzer for a leg. We've got a new weapon this year.

3) Placekicking - looked solid.

4) D-Line - stout. Our guys are going to be very hard to keep out of the opponents backfield - a few that stood out are Pettway, Reed, D-Hand, R-Evans. And we didn't even get to see A'Shawn - he's a beast and is resting as needed.

5) LB's - solid across the board.

6) Secondary - Looked solid. Good in coverage and in tackling - and their closing speed is awesome. Didn't see any obvious mental lapses that i can recall.

7) WR - TE's - a few too many drops, but several throws were behind them - mainly from Coker - timing work needed.

8) RB's - no comment needed really, but.... Talent, power and speed in bunches. Nothing too flashy shown yesterday, as expected. And the formation with Drake in the slot is going to be deadly - whether he's a decoy or a target - he has to be accounted for.

O-line - tough to judge with our talented, big, and speedy d-line, but i'm not worried. They looked solid.

Overall assessment - we'll be ready to play. Bring it on!
If all this is true, I'm very confident in this season, dare I say extremely confident. If Sims can command the offense, and gives us that added dimension of speed at the QB position (zone read!) I think we'll win it all IF the OL blocks.

The Defense is more of a concern for me, but it looks like everything is good to go. Getting Robinson back will make things even better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
Everything I have read on this thread leads me to believe that Blake Sims could possibly be our best quarterback. That really scares me.
Though others have read it differently, I don't view this as an insult. Blake Sims, like every QB, has strengths and weaknesses. Unless things have changed considerably in the fall, BS does best with short to intermediate routes... but deep passing is a weakness. With the past several years serving as a historical background, there are some definite conclusions that one can advance.

One... our offense is better served when we have a QB who can regularly throw deep. Both JPW and GM had limited ability to throw deep... and as a result the offense was limited during those years. Second... if your OL is stout, it helps negate this first principle. In 08, we could mask JOW's shortcomings because we had maulers up front - we forced our will on people. If you have a dominant OL, who cares if opposing teams stack the box?

Back to this year... I don't know of anyone who is claiming we have the makings of a dominant OL this year. Thus, all things being equal, I'm hoping the stronger-armed of the two best QB's wins the job because of the greater ability to hit a big strike rather than grind the ball down the field. From what I know, this guy is JC. However, if things don't click for JC, I'll take the intangibles of BS - his running ability and good rep with his teammates.

On the flip side, I do like the fact we've got a QB coach now who is able to do what CJM did with GM during his second year - change the offense to fit around the skill set of the starting QB.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Could CNS have a "new" QB starting for 3 years in a row?
2014--Sims
2015--Coker
2016--Bateman, Cornwell, or ?
If Sims wins the gig this year, it's possible for Coker to be the starter next year, but we've got some young studs that will likely factor into that race.

Bad news is, we may have the same pre-season debates next year, if that is the case. ;)

I will admit this, one of the reasons one might hope for Coker to pan out as a starter is to see the growth that AJ had from his 1st year as a starter to the next. Of these two, only Coker can be a two year starter.

That said, if Sims is really better, play the senior and get ready for the qb debates next year!

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If Sims wins the gig this year, it's possible for Coker to be the starter next year, but we've got some young studs that will likely factor into that race.

Bad news is, we may have the same pre-season debates next year, if that is the case. ;)

I will admit this, one of the reasons one might hope for Coker to pan out as a starter is to see the growth that AJ had from his 1st year as a starter to the next. Of these two, only Coker can be a two year starter.

That said, if Sims is really better, play the senior and get ready for the qb debates next year!
Yep Cornwall, coker, Bateman, and Barnett( if he stays committed) will give us offseason fun.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.