We've Got Ourselves a Kicker Guys (Scrimmage Discussion)

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Not really sure what Coach Saban will say in the presser, but Griffin had a STRONG scrimmage going 5-5 (as did Marlon Humphrey, but we'll talk about that in another thread), hitting several good consistently from 48 yards on in.

J.K. Scott also hit a short FG and averaged around 45 yds on all of his punts

BTW: Another monster day for Drake, too

Scrimmage stats released:

Scrimmage Receiving Leaders: Drake 3-77 1TD, Stewart 3-68, Cooper 5-63 1TD, Black 5-46.

Scrimmage Rushing Leaders: Jones 12-44 1TD, Tenpenny 10-12.

Scrimmage Defensive Leaders: DePriest 7 tackles, 1TFL, Lee 6 tackles 1 sack, Allen 4 tackles, 2 sacks, Collins 4 tackles, 1 sack, 2 breakups

Mack's note: They didn't release INT stats, but I can tell you that Humphrey had 2 (1 off of each QB) and Brown had 1 (off Coker).

Last edited:

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Re: We've Got Ourselves a Kicker Guys

And there was separation in the QB battle today. It still may go into the season, but Sims took a major step forward today

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Not really sure what Coach Saban will say in the presser, but Griffin had a STRONG scrimmage (as did Marlon Humphrey, but we'll talk about that in another thread), hitting several good consistently from 48 yards on in.

BTW: Another monster day for Drake, too
I'm not into guys, Mack, but after reading this, I think I luv you... :biggrin:

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006

And there was separation in the QB battle today. It still may go into the season, but Sims took a major step forward today
Sims must have had a monster scrimmage b/c from a friend who has seen recent practices it appeared Coker was pulling away. If Sims can make the deep throws AND be a threat with his legs, this can be fun....

nickel42

1st Team
Dec 2, 2013
Nashville, TN

Good news - coach says that A'Shawn should be ready to go on Wednesday and everyone else who has been dinged up (except Jackson I believe) should be good on Tuesday. And Depriest played in the scrimmage today.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada

From Mack's stats, and from what I'm reading elsewhere, looks like the Defense sure dominated today...

BigGunn

1st Team
Dec 5, 2004
Pace, Florida

Thanks for the news. This will make everyone feel better about Griffith. Roll Tide!!!

Last edited:

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

From the last two scrimmages RB rushing and RB receiving stats it appears that CLK is going all Reggie Bush with his plans for Drake!!! :D

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

That's a tease! :wink:

How about a little more details???
Coach didn't release stats. So I don't have yardage. But Blake threw a few TD passes and a pick. Coker threw a TD and threw a couples picks (one of which was a Pick 6 to Cyrus Jones. Blake is making decisions faster and better at this point

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Idon't think there was whole lot of separations between QBs... Sims played lot faster because he's been in the system longer and more familiar. Coach did say that both were inconsistent on some things but at same time saw lot of good things from both.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Idon't think there was whole lot of separations between QBs... Sims played lot faster because he's been in the system longer and more familiar. Coach did say that both were inconsistent on some things but at same time saw lot of good things from both.
What do you expect Coach to say? He's only going to tow the line when talking to the media. He doesn't want the media to make a bigger deal out of the QB competition. By saying one played better, he only makes the competition bigger and causes the other one to get down.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

Tell you what...if there were a game, I think most fans would've been more pleased with Sims's performance today. Coker didn't have a good practice today. Being that QB psyches are fragile, of course he [Coach Saban] is not gonna say the guy stunk the field up. You have to stay positive so that he can stay positive. But facts are what they are. Sims had a better practice today in terms of protecting the ball. His one turnover was on the goal line trying to throw a pass that Marlon Humphrey made a great play on. Jake, on the other hand, had a rough day in that regard.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I agree. Last practice, Coker had great practice. So I would say both are even right now. I'll leave it alone.
Tell you what...if there were a game, I think most fans would've been more pleased with Sims's performance today. Coker didn't have a good practice today. Being that QB psyches are fragile, of course he [Coach Saban] is not gonna say the guy stunk the field up. You have to stay positive so that he can stay positive. But facts are what they are. Sims had a better practice today in terms of protecting the ball. His one turnover was on the goal line trying to throw a pass that Marlon Humphrey made a great play on. Jake, on the other hand, had a rough day in that regard.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms

Well, I don't care which one plays. I just hope whoever it is plays well. Go Sims Go. Or GO Coker Go. I am glad to hear of Sims doing well. Hard not to pull for him.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

Honestly, the best case scenario is that they're both good. We need them both to be, just in case.

Well, I don't care which one plays. I just hope whoever it is plays well. Go Sims Go. Or GO Coker Go. I am glad to hear of Sims doing well. Hard not to pull for him.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.