We've Got Ourselves a Kicker Guys (Scrimmage Discussion)

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
I'm sure he knows more than the average guy, at least about Bama. He was in the program for 4 years and was around some of the players that are still there now..
OK fair enough. ;) Perhaps I overstated the point, but I still would argue that he's required to cover 14 teams, not just one, so his research is necessarily spread out. And, like everyone else at ESPN/SEC Network, he's required to have an opinion on pretty much every subject even if he doesn't have all the information. So I'm not going to get worked up about what he says.

Now, if someone asked a person who follows Alabama nearly exclusively (say, Cecil Hurt) who would be the starting QB and Hurt responded, "Oh, I think it's going to be Jake Coker and here's why," then I'd definitely sit up and listen.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The thing about the zone read is that I don't think we could run it as effectively as Auburn because it isn't so highly integrated into the full offensive concept.

One of the reason their offense works is that everything they do is predicated off making you defend that play and burning you with constraint plays that beat those defenses. "Run some prostyle and throwing in an occasional zone read play" isn't a recipe for a ton of success with the option.
Funny you'd say this, I was watching one of our replay games (can't remember which) and we ran a zone read play. Of course, AJ handed the ball off, but if he would have kept it he could have run 5-7 yards before anybody would have touched him.

So yes, the zone read has been in our play book, but it really wasn't a threating and confusing for opposing defensives when AJ was in the game.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
OK fair enough. ;) Perhaps I overstated the point, but I still would argue that he's required to cover 14 teams, not just one, so his research is necessarily spread out. And, like everyone else at ESPN/SEC Network, he's required to have an opinion on pretty much every subject even if he doesn't have all the information. So I'm not going to get worked up about what he says.

Now, if someone asked a person who follows Alabama nearly exclusively (say, Cecil Hurt) who would be the starting QB and Hurt responded, "Oh, I think it's going to be Jake Coker and here's why," then I'd definitely sit up and listen.
Hasn't Phil Savage basically said this?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I watched that segment and Greg was asked if he had to make the decision who would he go with and why. His answer was basically a "from the little knowledge that I do have about the situation" type scenario. That is why he took Coker because he said that his style fits more in line with what Nick Saban wants to do on offense.

McElroy (by no fault of his own) probably only knows a little more than we do about the qb situation and how they've truly looked in practice. Coach Saban has obviously kept this thing tight knit and information has been hard to come by.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Funny you'd say this, I was watching one of our replay games (can't remember which) and we ran a zone read play. Of course, AJ handed the ball off, but if he would have kept it he could have run 5-7 yards before anybody would have touched him.

So yes, the zone read has been in our play book, but it really wasn't a threating and confusing for opposing defensives when AJ was in the game.
I think just about everyone has the read option in their shotgun/pistol sets now. I guess my thought on it is that our Blake Sims option offense would probably be a 5-10 keeps per game and not this constant stream of keep opportunities every snap. If Blake Sims wins the position it will be due to his ability to lead a pro style offense first with the additional threat of his runs being a slight wrinkle.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I read a preview with a player breakdown last year. One OL talked about Blake Sims running the zone read and how they liked when AJ ran it more because they knew he was going to hand off. I got the impression we ran the zone read more than many thought or would expect but AJ just didn't keep the ball.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
We should just start all three QBs in the first snap, and rotate them across the line in all kinds of positions for all of the other plays. That way, everyone on the internet boards will be happy their QB started.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Nice illustration! However, it's not like Gmac doesn't know or can't get some inside stuff on Bama more than some other talking heads.

The real interesting/frustrating thing (depending on how you look at this) for us fans is we hear CNS talk about the qb race being 50-50 and then every media person who has been around T-town has come away saying JC is the guy. If just one person said it was Sims at least we'd have more fodder for conversation.

I'm not saying CNS isn't shooting straight, but those guys who know football and cover football see something they are willing to "prognosticate" that nobody on message boards gets to see (except the handful here who have seen the two scrimmages).

I know there's been a lot of worry over this, but I actually have enjoyed the qb discussions and it has been a fun thing to help pass the summer and pre-season days!
Yea I haven't heard or read from any media members or otherwise who have been around the program or at practices/scrimmages that thinks Blake will be our starting QB, except for the few people on here who think that. Which is fine. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. It would just make more sense if more people were replicating the same thoughts that Blake had a serious chance to start.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Yea I haven't heard or read from any media members or otherwise who have been around the program or at practices/scrimmages that thinks Blake will be our starting QB, except for the few people on here who think that. Which is fine. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. It would just make more sense if more people were replicating the same thoughts that Blake had a serious chance to start.
The media has been "Coker is the starter" since he signed in January. Their reasoning is because Blake isn't a good QB. They never took into account what looks to be causing Coker problems now - not familiar with the skill players and less time in the system.

That is why several fans have supported Blake and looked somewhat ridiculous in the process.

After fall camp, we are now seeing these pieces like this one because the media's expectations of Blake Sims were apparently low while its expectations of Coker were extremely high.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The media has been "Coker is the starter" since he signed in January. Their reasoning is because Blake isn't a good QB. They never took into account what looks to be causing Coker problems now - not familiar with the skill players and less time in the system.

That is why several fans have supported Blake and looked somewhat ridiculous in the process.

After fall camp, we are now seeing these pieces like this one because the media's expectations of Blake Sims were apparently low while its expectations of Coker were extremely high.
This is what I'm talking about. People don't think that Blake is a bad player or are hating on him because they think he isn't the best option to start. Coker has been evaluated by several highly regarded college head coaches along with NFL coaches and scouts. Most people are high on Coker because of his physical stature and ability. He has a much higher ceiling than Blake does as a QB. That doesn't make Blake a bad player and that doesn't mean someone is hating on him to have that opinion. If that is the case then CNS is hating on about 60 players on our team who don't start. I think its pretty obvious at this point that Blake will play, at least some, so everybody in this debate will win as it looks like it will be settled on the field against WVU and beyond.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

The BR article actually shows why so many support Coker. Everything the article praises Blake for is his leadership and knowledge of the system.

If they would have just come out and said he's better than Coker most of this would probably go away and he would have already been named as the starter.

So it's circular: Sims is a good team player and leader, he's gotten better, but JC is the one with the obvious talent that needs to be tapped.

It's true that the media has driven the debate in favor of JC, but the knowledgable Bama fan knows the Bama qb has got to be a little more than just a team player and good leader, which BS certainly is.

Last edited:

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I watched that segment and Greg was asked if he had to make the decision who would he go with and why. His answer was basically a "from the little knowledge that I do have about the situation" type scenario. That is why he took Coker because he said that his style fits more in line with what Nick Saban wants to do on offense.

McElroy (by no fault of his own) probably only knows a little more than we do about the qb situation and how they've truly looked in practice. Coach Saban has obviously kept this thing tight knit and information has been hard to come by.
Much better way of stating what I was trying to say. They are not going to pay him to shrug his shoulders.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN

Last week in a segment on the SEC Network, McElroy said that he thought Blake would win the job. Funny he's saying something different now. He cited Blake's knowledge of the offense and leadership skills being two traits that Saban would find more valuable than Coker's arm. He did concede that Coker was likely a much better passer than Sims.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
We should just start all three QBs in the first snap, and rotate them across the line in all kinds of positions for all of the other plays. That way, everyone on the internet boards will be happy their QB started.
OMG - you were at the scrimmage too? We weren't supposed to talk about the 3 QB formation play. Did you also notice the 8 Defensive Back set on one of the goal line defense drills? LOL. Season, please get here.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
The BR article actually shows why so many support Coker. Everything the article praises Blake for is his leadership and knowledge of the system.

If they would have just come out and said he's better than Coker most of this would probably go away and he would have already been named as the starter.

So it's circular: Sims is a good team player and leader, he's gotten better, but JC is the one with the obvious talent that needs to be tapped.

It's true that the media has driven the debate in favor of JC, but the knowledgable Bama fan knows the Bama qb has got to be a little more than just a team player and good leader, which BS certainly is.
I agree that JC seems to have more raw talent - he just seems to need more time to gel with the players and get the timing down with receivers in live action settings. Thank God we have 3 cupcakes to start the season this year to give him the time. Sims is very capable of handling the load while that time passes.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.