We've Got Ourselves a Kicker Guys (Scrimmage Discussion)

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Re: We've Got Ourselves a Kicker Guys

Maybe I am an idealist but yes I do expect it, especially when the group is explicitly told to refrain.
If the potential "leak" of information was that important then the coaching staff and administration should have known better. This is a no-brainer. It is situations like this that being a realist serves better than an idealist.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

If the potential "leak" of information was that important then the coaching staff and administration should have known better. This is a no-brainer. It is situations like this that being a realist serves better than an idealist.
Sure, but that doesn't absolve individuals who use that as an excuse to share stuff they were explicitly asked not to.

If this was stated by the staff, I'm disappointed in members who violated that trust.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

Yup. I just grow weary of people crowning Coker as the heir-apparant based on a bad scrimmage, all while ignoring actual game stats.

It's like people want to believe Sims sucks. SMH
In the words of Andrew Zow, the favorite player at Alabama is the back up quarterback (in his case, Tyler Watts). And for the record, I was a huge Zow fan. Loved the kid when he was at Bama.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

Sure, but that doesn't absolve individuals who use that as an excuse to share stuff they were explicitly asked not to.

If this was stated by the staff, I'm disappointed in members who violated that trust.
Sure, those in attendance should have kept their mouth shut. But to expect 500 or so die hard fans (which most Bama fans are just that, die hard) to keep their mouths shut is a bit naive. I don't think the information that could have been gathered from the practice was that important to be honest. Nick Saban is smarter than that. It very well could have been a formality that they tell everybody with the unspoken understanding among the staff and administration that it is a pipe dream to expect that. But that's just speculation at best.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

I kinda sorta doubt they let those in attendance see something they really wanted to keep secret. Probably enough to satisfy their (and our) interest. And enough to give the bad guys something to mull over, in the event what wasn't supposed to leak out does in fact leak out. (Because we all know it will!)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I haven't really seen anything posted by someone present that would upset the staff. It's not like someone is posting formations, player groupings, or particular plays.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

Sure, those in attendance should have kept their mouth shut. But to expect 500 or so die hard fans (which most Bama fans are just that, die hard) to keep their mouths shut is a bit naive. I don't think the information that could have been gathered from the practice was that important to be honest. Nick Saban is smarter than that. It very well could have been a formality that they tell everybody with the unspoken understanding among the staff and administration that it is a pipe dream to expect that. But that's just speculation at best.
This could be a way to keep the people out the next time. They can bring up the leaking of information to the message boards. I do appreciate the information given by those in attendance though.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

I bet those in attendance didn't see any big secrets, and I bet that was intentional from the staff's part. They've got to be sharp enough to not expect, out of 500 people, everybody to keep the secret.

It's flattering for fans to be privileged enough to be one of 500 invited to a closed practice. It's even more flattering to be told they are in on keeping a secret, even if the info isn't that secret to begin with.

Last edited:

Drewy26

1st Team
Aug 16, 2008
Montgomery, AL

I bet those in attendance didn't see any big secrets, and I bet that was intentional from the staff's part. They've got to be sharp enough to not expect, out of 500 people, everybody to keep the secret.

It's flattering for fans to be privileged enough to be one of 500 invited to a closed practice. It's even more flattering to be told they are in on keeping a secret, even if the info isn't that secret to begin with.
Whether the information leaked is damaging to the program is beside the point.

Attending a closed practice is a privilege. One thing that is asked of those in attendance is to refrain from posting details. I am quite sure that this request is not made for no reason at all.

Coach Saban always talks about being committed to excellence and making good decisions. Posting details of a closed scrimmage after being instructed not to is an affront to the process.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

Whether the information leaked is damaging to the program is beside the point.

Attending a closed practice is a privilege. One thing that is asked of those in attendance is to refrain from posting details. I am quite sure that this request is not made for no reason at all.

Coach Saban always talks about being committed to excellence and making good decisions. Posting details of a closed scrimmage after being instructed not to is an affront to the process.
And I guess we can make this as big of a deal as we want as well. Going by the letter of the law, no, the people shouldn't have said a word about the practice. Even if their spouses at home (who maybe weren't able to go) or neighbors wanted to know. But I think injecting some common sense into the situation would more thank likely lead us to believe our staff and administration isn't so stupid, that they're going to take a total stranger's word to not leak important information from a practice they were allowed to watch. I just don't believe our staff would put the team at that kind of risk. Again, I think they would rather nothing be leaked but if something is leaked it will be nothing of value to our competitors.

I'll also add that a lot of the information some of our guys report on this message board roots back to someone at practice who's become a "source" to guys like Earle and other members of Tidefans. They in turn generously provide us with practice details. I'm pretty sure Coach Saban wouldn't want any of that happening either.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

If I were accustomed to wearing a tinfoil hat, I'd say the CNS knew there would be a few out of 700 observers who might "leak" a few things about how the qbs looked.

Sounds to me like Jacob Coker must be running away with the #1 qb position.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

I mean, I haven't read the entire thread, but I really don't think anything secretive has been revealed here.
Well nothing except the set of Wishbone Plays designed to be run on the 3rd and 5th series of every game - with the second string OL and a combination of Sims, Henry, Drake and Tenpenny ..... oops.....

dang it!

Drewy26

1st Team
Aug 16, 2008
Montgomery, AL
Just to be clear, there is not a problem with talking to your spouse or friends. The specific prohibited conduct is posting on the Internet.

I will let it go now, as I think I may very well be beating a dead horse at this point.

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton

Well nothing except the set of Wishbone Plays designed to be run on the 3rd and 5th series of every game - with the second string OL and a combination of Sims, Henry, Drake and Tenpenny ..... oops.....

dang it!
Dude seriously...WHEN the fact that BAMA has 2 totally different offensive schemes (triple option attack with Sims and pro style attack with Coker) ready to go this season gets leaked on the interwebs, it's gonna be because of your post. Geez.

Last edited:

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa

And I guess we can make this as big of a deal as we want as well. Going by the letter of the law, no, the people shouldn't have said a word about the practice. Even if their spouses at home (who maybe weren't able to go) or neighbors wanted to know. But I think injecting some common sense into the situation would more thank likely lead us to believe our staff and administration isn't so stupid, that they're going to take a total stranger's word to not leak important information from a practice they were allowed to watch. I just don't believe our staff would put the team at that kind of risk. Again, I think they would rather nothing be leaked but if something is leaked it will be nothing of value to our competitors.
This. If they were trying to keep any big secrets (and I frankly don't think they are) you sure as heck wouldn't have gotten to see anything. I mean, it's not like the year Coach Bryant surprised everyone with the wishbone. I think Saban hates the "horse race" kind of stuff between players and hates answering questions about it: "Uh, Coach I see that UAINTN threw three interceptions in the scrimmage. Could you describe each one of those, whose fault it was, how you can continue to run him with the 1s given your emphasis on ball security and the fact that Bamabuzzard threw for three touchdowns with no INTs in the same scrimmage?"

I don't think opposing coaching staffs are going to learn much from message boards, now matter how great this one happens to be. If that is how they are scouting, then they are going to get what they deserve. If any opposing coach is suddenly shocked and better prepared by finding out from Tidefans that Kenyan Drake is very talented and that there may be a game plan to get him more touches or that when Blake Sims is in the game we may have more designed QB runs, then they aren't going to be coaching long any way.

I don't think the coaches have any concern over general comments -- kicking game looked good, player X had a sack, player Y had a long touchdown run. But the more specific the details get, the more I'm concerned that the people who are privileged to go run the risk of messing it up for everyone.

I'll say this. I have been privileged to see a scrimmage. It was fun experience and I'm glad I went. I did not disclose any details on message boards. Given how that scrimmage was run, I now pay hardly any attention to stats from scrimmages except for made/missed FGs and just slightly if there are punting distances. The circumstances of every play can vary so wildly and how/what they do so different from a game that you have to be careful. Example: In the scrimmage I attended (not this year) the quarterback fumbled the center exchange, he booted the ball, the defensive end scooped it and headed for the end zone, the rb gave chase and might have caught him, but Coach stopped the play, had the ball reset, and made them run the play again. How did that get listed in the scrimmage stats? I have no idea. So if your idea of a scrimmage at BDS is that it runs like the A-Day game, that is not my experience.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.