Trent Richardson & Reporter Bias

mark9765

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 10, 2006
Decatur,Al
Mods you may delete this but I am going to sound off anyway.
Maybe I am seeing things different than what some sports reporters and talking heads see, if I'm wrong then I'm sorry. My current deal is the reporting on Trent Richardson. He has been labeled a bust. And it seems that all writers want to do is repeat what others have written. In last nights game he averaged 2.3 yards per carry. As a stat on paper this seems bad, however if you watch the runs he did pretty well. When he had hole he hit it hard and gained ground. More times than not he was hit at or behind the line of scrimmage. The writer graded him a C and pretty much said he was he same bust as previous seasons. Over he last 2 seasons Trent has played under difficult conditions, he played through injuries including broken ribs. He had to learn a complete new offense mid season. I think he has done pretty well if you look at what he has gone through.
I think that because he was drafted in the first round he was doomed from the start if he didn't get amazing numbers. Writers and talking heads don't want to be wrong and they said it was a mistake to draft a running back in the first round. This my be true but Trent Richardson didn't force Cleveland to draft him in round 1.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
It is what it is. The NFL is a 'what have you done for me lately' league. For example, most people look at Marshawn Lynch right now as a game changing RB and remember the "Beast Mode" run vs. the Saints in the playoffs a few years back. But what most don't remember is how he was pretty much written off in Buffalo before finding a good situation for him in Seattle.

Trent is a fine player (as if I needed to say that). He'll get it going this season. The Colts's 1st team offensive line is playing with its 3rd string center due to injuries. Once the line gels and everything comes together, Trent will be just fine. I have him going over 1000 yards this season and double digit TDs.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
It is what it is. The NFL is a 'what have you done for me lately' league. For example, most people look at Marshawn Lynch right now as a game changing RB and remember the "Beast Mode" run vs. the Saints in the playoffs a few years back. But what most don't remember is how he was pretty much written off in Buffalo before finding a good situation for him in Seattle.

Trent is a fine player (as if I needed to say that). He'll get it going this season. The Colts's 1st team offensive line is playing with its 3rd string center due to injuries. Once the line gels and everything comes together, Trent will be just fine. I have him going over 1000 yards this season and double digit TDs.
All I know is that my Fantasy Team will have Ingram, Lacy and Trent on it -- and I'll be the proudest dang fantasy owner in the history of the game.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Mods you may delete this but I am going to sound off anyway.
Maybe I am seeing things different than what some sports reporters and talking heads see, if I'm wrong then I'm sorry. My current deal is the reporting on Trent Richardson. He has been labeled a bust. And it seems that all writers want to do is repeat what others have written. In last nights game he averaged 2.3 yards per carry. As a stat on paper this seems bad, however if you watch the runs he did pretty well. When he had hole he hit it hard and gained ground. More times than not he was hit at or behind the line of scrimmage. The writer graded him a C and pretty much said he was he same bust as previous seasons. Over he last 2 seasons Trent has played under difficult conditions, he played through injuries including broken ribs. He had to learn a complete new offense mid season. I think he has done pretty well if you look at what he has gone through.
I think that because he was drafted in the first round he was doomed from the start if he didn't get amazing numbers. Writers and talking heads don't want to be wrong and they said it was a mistake to draft a running back in the first round. This my be true but Trent Richardson didn't force Cleveland to draft him in round 1.
I kinda of agree with your sentiment. The problem is last year Donald Brown was very productive behind the exact same offensive line. The biggest thing I think TR can do to be successful is re-invent his body. I think he needs to lose some muscle weight and focus on getting a step quicker and faster. Donald Brown looked much faster than TR did running behind the same line last year. In the NFL speed trumps power just about every time.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
I hope you're right. I'd really love to see that.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I kinda of agree with your sentiment. The problem is last year Donald Brown was very productive behind the exact same offensive line. The biggest thing I think TR can do to be successful is re-invent his body. I think he needs to lose some muscle weight and focus on getting a step quicker and faster. Donald Brown looked much faster than TR did running behind the same line last year. In the NFL speed trumps power just about every time.
Don't tell the "Bus" that speed trumps power. I think it's way to early to be speculating on NFL players or teams in the pre-season.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Don't tell the "Bus" that speed trumps power. I think it's way to early to be speculating on NFL players or teams in the pre-season.
The Bus played in a power running era, not a spread offense era. And there are exceptions to everything. I would rather have the rule than to try and have an exception.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
Indy had major issues on the OL. Until that's addressed the run game will suffer no matter who is at RB. These writers need to think about that before they write these articles.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
The Bus played in a power running era, not a spread offense era. And there are exceptions to everything. I would rather have the rule than to try and have an exception.
I wasn't aware that the entire NFL had gone to the spread. I know they are highlighting the passing game but that still requires a good running game. I could come up with a long list of power runners besides the "Bus", most of whom were better than him.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I wasn't aware that the entire NFL had gone to the spread. I know they are highlighting the passing game but that still requires a good running game. I could come up with a long list of power runners besides the "Bus", most of whom were better than him.
OK. You're missing my point. I didn't say TR couldn't still be a power runner. I said I feel like he needs to increase his speed and quickness. Donald Brown had success last year running behind the same offensive line. The reason for this that I could tell is Brown is a step quicker to the hole than TR.

I didn't say the whole NFL was a spread offense. The majority of them are though. You keep pointing out the exceptions to what I am saying. There are exceptions to everything.

mark9765

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 10, 2006
Decatur,Al
You are forgetting that even though both were running behind the same line Brown had 5 years to get the playbook and timing down so that all he had to do was react and not think. That makes a big difference when you have to think about every step and react. Brown @ 5 years vs Richardson @ a few weeks is like comparing green apples to ripe apples. Green is pretty sour until you give it time to mature.

Last edited:

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
i love Trent. but the writers have a point. True, Cleveland should not have drafted a RB that high however his production has been weak no matter how you slice it. I remember watching Hardesty run better than Trent behind the exact same line. He could pick up 1000 rushing this year as the man however 1000 yards in the NFL these days doesnt mean anything. I'm pulling for him big time though. just like all our bama players.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I remember when most NFL teams didn't count on a guy until he hit his 4th or 5th season. Now they expect everybody they draft to make the pro-bowl. I hope trent does play better this season but there is a low ceiling behind THAT line. The press guys know this but they are looking for raw blood and guts to throw in order to get attention and Trent is that guy until he proves otherwise.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I remember when most NFL teams didn't count on a guy until he hit his 4th or 5th season. Now they expect everybody they draft to make the pro-bowl. I hope trent does play better this season but there is a low ceiling behind THAT line. The press guys know this but they are looking for raw blood and guts to throw in order to get attention and Trent is that guy until he proves otherwise.
When did NFL teams wait half a decade to see if a guy can contribute?

hacksaw830

2nd Team
Jan 20, 2007
For some reason Trent is not running like he did at Bama, hes not hitting the hole very hard and not pounding the rock, lots of stop and go and trying to shake and bake, as bad as I hate to say it the writers are right. So far he has been a bust and if he doesn't start hitting the line of scrimmage harder Im afraid he will be looking for yet another team and then shown the door. RBs typically last 4-5 years he should be in his prime. Trent please stop doing the hokie pokie and start pounding the rock or you will prove the "experts" right.

Last edited:

cooleddie

1st Team
Jul 27, 2003
pensacola,fl
In Trent's defense, 2012 rookie season he had 950 yards rushing; that's 50 yards shy of 1,000. Had he gotten that 50 yards in the game that he missed due to injury would he still be considered a bust by the critics? His average per carry was 3.6 yards. If he had 4 more tenths to hit a 4.0 ypc average would he still be a bust? He also gained 367 yards receiving for a combined total of 1,317 yards and 12 total TD's. I don't think that is too terribly bad for a rookie that played a good portion of the year with bad ribs. We all know last year's story with the trade just a few games into the season and he was behind the eight ball trying to learn a new offense. I felt the same way in watching Donald Brown hit it for 6 - 8 yards it seemed like every time he touched the ball and poor Trent was mustering 2 yards. However, I do have to give him the benefit of the doubt about not being sure of the plays and what he was supposed to do.

Now, to take off my crimson and Pensacola colored glasses for a second, I have been telling friends since watching him in the NFL that he just needs a really good RB coach to break him of a few bad habits that will help him out; primarily the hesitancy and stutter step instead of hitting the hole like a missile and then worry about making moves once he hits the second level. Hopefully, now that he has the playbook down, he can do that.

I was really looking forward to seeing his improved productivity this season and was disappointed to hear of the recent injuries to the Colt's starting O-line. That makes it much tougher for him to prove the critics wrong. The good thing is, Trent is a worker and highly motivated to be the best that he can be. That hard work will payoff at some point and time. He has landed with a good organization in the NFL and I hope that he can produce for them and stay there for a nice, long career. Here's to an injury-free season, lots of yards, and lots of TD's!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.