Trent Richardson & Reporter Bias

DothanTide

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 6, 2011
You are forgetting that even though both were running behind the same line Brown had 5 years to get the playbook and timing down so that all he had to do was react and not think. That makes a big difference when you have to think about every step and react. Brown @ 5 years vs Richardson @ a few weeks is like comparing green apples to ripe apples. Green is pretty sour until you give it time to mature.
Eh, he had only a year and a half advantage with the new coaching staff coming in back in 2012. Really, the main culprit is Trent's vision that seemingly makes it look like he can't find the open gap to save his life now.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
My guess (which isn't even worth .02) is if Trent doesn't have an above average performance this season he's going to be sent packing by the Colts. They have an opportunity to build a superbowl winning team with Luck at QB and need to get him a supporting run game. They're not going to waste another year with this experiment if he has a subpar or even "average" season.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
The funny thing is, Trent tore it up in the first preseason game against the Jets. He was only in for a series or two, but he looked true to his Alabama form when he was in. Yet nobody said a word about it. Then he has a bad next game, and all of a sudden the press is dogging him again. Besides, it's still the preseason.

There should be a rule where no one is allowed to be called a bust until at least the regular season.

I've been in Indy for the past 14 years now, and the truth is the Colts running game almost always sucks. Their play book is about 75% passing, their Oline is built to pass block and not run block, and yet people always want to hate on the running backs when they really don't even have a shot at success.

Trent will be fine if the organization will be patient. He's now being mentored by Edgerine James, and he seems to be in a good place mentally at the moment. I think he has a solid year this year, but I still don't think I'd take him for my fantasy team.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
I didn't realize he had 12 TDs his rookie season. That's pretty good. But, while he's been with the Colts, he's deserved every bit of criticism that's went his way. He's been hesitant to the point you wanna pull your hair out watching him. Personally, I don't think vision is his problem. Waiting for the hole to get bigger is.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Richardson isn't blameless but he's not exactly been in an ideal situation. Still, I can't fault media skepticism with him as a featureback...the performance dictates it.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I can't stand fantasy analysis. I think he will be fine despite the line issues. He may not light up the stats, but he just needs a solid season. If he stays healthy, I think he will.
I'm not sure "solid" is going to cut it. They gave up a #1 pick for him. You don't give up a #1 pick to get "solid", especially for a RB in today's NFL.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
It is what it is. The NFL is a 'what have you done for me lately' league. For example, most people look at Marshawn Lynch right now as a game changing RB and remember the "Beast Mode" run vs. the Saints in the playoffs a few years back. But what most don't remember is how he was pretty much written off in Buffalo before finding a good situation for him in Seattle.

Trent is a fine player (as if I needed to say that). He'll get it going this season. The Colts's 1st team offensive line is playing with its 3rd string center due to injuries. Once the line gels and everything comes together, Trent will be just fine. I have him going over 1000 yards this season and double digit TDs.
He just needs to quit having threesomes/foursomes during the season and save that for the spring so he has fresher legs.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
I know the injuries had more of an impact on his performance than most thought, but to me he just seems to be thinking too much. He's too hesitant. It's like he's trying remember every little detail he has been coached instead of just running the ball like he he always has.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have watched Trent in both of his pre-season games this season and he has looked better than last year, but he still hesitates when he gets the ball. He is looking for the hole. I understand that with their zone blocking scheme that the hole is not in a set place on a given play, but Trent stops while he is looking for the hole. His feet keep moving, but his forward momentum stops. When he sees the hole and starts moving toward it, it closes before get is through because he simply isn't explosive enough to get there from a dead stop.

Trent's power and speed are not in question, but his instincts and lack of explosiveness (is that a word?) are a problem. I am just not sure that this is the game for him.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I can't stand fantasy analysis. I think he will be fine despite the line issues. He may not light up the stats, but he just needs a solid season. If he stays healthy, I think he will.
Its not just fantasy analysis. There was a quote from their general manager in the article that pretty much said he needs to produce this year or they will be moving on.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Bama runningbacks are always fun to watch and you can't help but have a few favorites over the years. I especially liked watching Trent play, his power style seemed to take his play to another level, in my opinion.

I understand there are more really strong guys on a pro team than on a college team, and Trent can't make a living simply running over people anymore. But as best I remember, he also had some good moves and nobody complained about a lack of instinct.

I've seen too much from Trent to write him off this soon, but maybe my expectations are set by what I want to see.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Bama runningbacks are always fun to watch and you can't help but have a few favorites over the years. I especially liked watching Trent play, his power style seemed to take his play to another level, in my opinion.

I understand there are more really strong guys on a pro team than on a college team, and Trent can't make a living simply running over people anymore. But as best I remember, he also had some good moves and nobody complained about a lack of instinct.

I've seen too much from Trent to write him off this soon, but maybe my expectations are set by what I want to see.
In college. He's not in college anymore...

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

During one of our game chats on this forum in 2011 I made mention of Trent losing a step from his freshman to his junior year and I was criticized harshly and so from that point on I kept my opinions of Trent to myself. I liked Trent at UA but in 2011, I felt that Lacy was the better of the two. Lacy hit the hole much harder than Trent and had better footwork and instincts. Trent was very fast as a freshman but he put on too much muscle mass for his body type and he became mostly a power back with decent speed. That was fine in college especially given the team he played on but it isn't going to work out for him in the NFL. As others have said, he is going to have to change his workout routine to focus on adding back the speed and quickness he lost if he wants to succeed.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.