TX father accused of killing drunk driver after drunk driver killed his kids

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Moral argument doesn't hold up for me in this one. I certainly feel for the father, losing his two sons. Doesn't mean he is right in shooting the man who hit them.

1) He had no idea the driver was drunk.

2) They were pushing a car down a road at night.

3) He denies shooting the driver. Yeah, some random person was walking by and just decided to shoot the driver in the head. Claims to have never owned a gun. Just randomly owns ammunition matching the bullet used to kill the driver and the murder weapon is missing. I don't consider that "temporary insanity".

Doesn't add up to "Its totally cool to come back with a pistol and shoot the driver in the head". Or should every driver who crashes into and kills someone just be executed on the spot.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Moral argument doesn't hold up for me in this one. I certainly feel for the father, losing his two sons. Doesn't mean he is right in shooting the man who hit them.

1) He had no idea the driver was drunk.

2) They were pushing a car down a road at night.

3) He denies shooting the driver. Yeah, some random person was walking by and just decided to shoot the driver in the head. Claims to have never owned a gun. Just randomly owns ammunition matching the bullet used to kill the driver and the murder weapon is missing. I don't consider that "temporary insanity".

Doesn't add up to "Its totally cool to come back with a pistol and shoot the driver in the head". Or should every driver who crashes into and kills someone just be executed on the spot.
Unfortunately, the two kids pushing the car were very likely covering up the tail lights, if the battery had any juice left at all...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Yah, funny how your mind can change on these things as the details emerge. I initially supported the guy, and I still empathize with his aguish, and I still think the drunk driver should be charged with two counts of murder - but I also think they father needs to serve time.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Yah, funny how your mind can change on these things as the details emerge. I initially supported the guy, and I still empathize with his aguish, and I still think the drunk driver should be charged with two counts of murder - but I also think they father needs to serve time.
Mine didn't. I still feel the same way about it today as I did back then.
I can sympathize with the father, but can't agree with his actions.
Above everything else, we are a nation of laws. Although he suffered a great loss, the life of his sons' killer wasn't his to take.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
If the jury had one plausible reasonable doubt, they were going "not guilty," especially in Brazoria County. Very right-wing area. I bet if polled, half the jury would say they'd shoot the person that killed their kids.

But it's a bad case to prosecute. Setting aside the fact the guy got what he deserved, there's still no weapon, no GSR on the guy's hands, and no witnesses to the event. Not sure you can ever get to "guilty beyond a reasonable doubt" by asking the jury to make large assumptions and inferences without any hard evidence.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
If the jury had one plausible reasonable doubt, they were going "not guilty," especially in Brazoria County. Very right-wing area. I bet if polled, half the jury would say they'd shoot the person that killed their kids.
The jury would have given Barajas a Bass Pro Shop Gift Certificate had they been allowed.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
He's been receiving congratulatory phone calls all afternoon from Bernie Goetz, the dad from Shiner, Estanislao Beltran, Gary Sellers, Robert Bell, Michael Mullen, Sombra Negra, Jerome Ersland, Phoenix Jones and a host of others.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.