Is 'mirroring' via casting, not as advanced as I assumed?

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
Bought a smart tv today for my bedroom. I've gotten rid of DirecTV, have all the passwords I need for WatchESPN, FoxSportsGo, etc....ready to stream me some tv! Woohoo!

Ooops....the apps on a smart tv are worthless. No worries, I'll just get a Roku or a Chromecast. Oops....I'm reading that you can mirror certain apps.

So tell me, is there no way to pull up, say, my NFL mobile app, and cast it from my iPhone or Samsung tablet directly to my new 'smart' tv? I'm very disappointed in all of this right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
you can mirror your phone screen exactly with the Chromecast and an Android (4.2 and above IIRC) phone, i havent tried it with NFL Mobile

Chromecast is stupid cheap at $35 and worth every penny for youtube alone. I don't buy "smart" tv's as what is smart today won't be in 6-7 months

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
A smart TV really just has some apps built into the TV. I love the smart TV in my living room. It has YouTube and Netflix built in. When family comes over we can watch home videos and such on a 60 inch screen in less than a minute. Very seamless and flawless on my vizio smart 60". Like others have noted, smart TVs really aren't for streaming what you are trying to do. Most smart TVs I've seen just have basic apps built in. They are usually only $100 more than a non-smart TV. Just depends if you will be using those apps as to whether it is worth it or not. I use them a lot so to me it is.

Edit: And this is why I will not cancel my direct TV. Almost everyone I know who has gotten rid of cable or satellite with the intention to stream live sports and such always end up disappointed with all the hoops you have to jump through to be able to stream live sports. Its worth it to me to have Direct TV rather than figure out how I'm going to jerryrig my computer up to my TV and stream a game in low definition. Let us know if you figure out a good method of streaming though. I would be interested to hear about it.

Last edited:

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
So far, I see that Roku offers WatchESPN and the SEC Network. With an HD antennae, I'm covered on ABC and CBS. That should pretty well do it.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I have Roku. Unless I missed something, the SEC Network you get is the SEC Digital Network (not the new TV network). Lots of good games from the past, but nothing live or in-season.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I have Roku. Unless I missed something, the SEC Network you get is the SEC Digital Network (not the new TV network). Lots of good games from the past, but nothing live or in-season.
Yep. That's the same thing several people have told me as well who tried to switch from cable/satellite to steaming only. I don't think the SEC network can be streamed unless you have a subscription to one of the major cable/internet providers-which in that case you can just watch directly on the TV.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Bought a smart tv today for my bedroom. I've gotten rid of DirecTV, have all the passwords I need for WatchESPN, FoxSportsGo, etc....ready to stream me some tv! Woohoo!

Ooops....the apps on a smart tv are worthless. No worries, I'll just get a Roku or a Chromecast. Oops....I'm reading that you can mirror certain apps.

So tell me, is there no way to pull up, say, my NFL mobile app, and cast it from my iPhone or Samsung tablet directly to my new 'smart' tv? I'm very disappointed in all of this right now.

I quit trying to use the "smart" features of my TV a while back and went back to a PC (in my case I have a laptop dock I leave connected via an HDMI port) connected directly to the TV. Anything I want to stream is much easier just using it as a monitor for the PC. When I need my laptop for other things I just disconnect it from the dock.

NFL Online no problem
WatchESPN no problem
CBS Streaming no problem
YouTube no problem
MLB.TV no problem
Tidefans.com no problem :)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The WatchESPN app has the SEC Network - as well as the Longhorn Network.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.