Power and water shut off, Huskers' Bell paid bills with bartender gig

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Did he have any tattoos?? I hope everyone realizes that a person can be broke making $100,000 a year. What people call necessities today boggles the mind. That being said I would support an honorarium to make meeting their needs easier.
True. I had a roommate who's parents paid for all of his school expenses, clothes, rent, fraternity dues and assessments, car, gas and insurance AND gave him $1,000 a month for food and "going out". This was in the 80s and that dude was ALWAYS broke.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I thought the $90.00 per quarter I paid was a flat fee - and not tied to number of credit hours.

I'll have to go back and check on that - I still have all my registration cards from college....somewhere.

EDIT: Just saw your post, Catfish. I'll see if I can find my registration cards and get back to you.
I'm pretty sure when I went to Bama in the 70's it was a flat fee and I want to say it was around $350 per semester by the time I graduated. The highest I ever paid for rent was $150 for a 1 bdr furnished apartment. Most of your books could be bought used and resold back to the bookstore. I don't remember much about any other fees.

If in-state tuition at Alabama is in the $5,000 per semester range now I don't know how I would have made it even with a full time job.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
It amazes me that so many people would have so much butt hurt, if student athletes got paid. It is about the only group of people in the U.S. that can't make money, on the side, with their talents.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Did he have any tattoos?? I hope everyone realizes that a person can be broke making $100,000 a year. What people call necessities today boggles the mind. That being said I would support an honorarium to make meeting their needs easier.
That is a HUGE problem with today's kids. They think they have it rough and hard if they don't have a PS4 and cell phone with unlimited everything. I'm only 34 and didn't own a cell phone until I was 19 and have never been given anything. Been working since 16 as I had no choice, it was either work and buy my own stuff or go without. My son is fixing to be 10 and has about anything he wants (and he still wants a cellphone, crazy ain't it?) yet if I told him to go outside and cut the grass he would look at me like I was talking Chinese. When I was 10 if you were a boy in my family you HAD to work outside or go help my Dad at his job, it wasn't by choice either.

But don't get me wrong I didn't have it any worse than any other kid. There was a lot that was worse off than I was. It's crazy how kids don't know the value of a dollar even as old as 21 in this day and time. We have spoiled them too much. My son is so white he could probably glow in the dark. That will soon change though;)

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
That is a HUGE problem with today's kids. They think they have it rough and hard if they don't have a PS4 and cell phone with unlimited everything. I'm only 34 and didn't own a cell phone until I was 19 and have never been given anything. Been working since 16 as I had no choice, it was either work and buy my own stuff or go without. My son is fixing to be 10 and has about anything he wants (and he still wants a cellphone, crazy ain't it?) yet if I told him to go outside and cut the grass he would look at me like I was talking Chinese. When I was 10 if you were a boy in my family you HAD to work outside or go help my Dad at his job, it wasn't by choice either.

But don't get me wrong I didn't have it any worse than any other kid. There was a lot that was worse off than I was. It's crazy how kids don't know the value of a dollar even as old as 21 in this day and time. We have spoiled them too much. My son is so white he could probably glow in the dark. That will soon change though;)
I agree. My youngest is 16 and I guess I have been too easy on him, he is just now getting his tan and callouses!! I think he is proud of it, I know I am...

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I agree. My youngest is 16 and I guess I have been too easy on him, he is just now getting his tan and callouses!! I think he is proud of it, I know I am...
Yep once we get out of this rental and into the place we are buying, he is going to start working in the yard whether he likes it or not. He will learn the meaning of a "farmers tan"

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA

My dad thought of me as his "free work slave", literally. He owned a produce company and would wake me up at 3:00AM to help load trucks before school many a morning plus every Saturday I had to help grade and package tomatoes.

I once talked with him about how I could make some extra money and he suggested mowing peoples grass. He took me to a store one day with the idea of me buying a lawn mower, which I did. The only problem was the only grass I ever cut was his.

Son, learn the value of a dollar, make something of yourself and don't expect to live here when you leave high school were my dad's mantra. Now, by the time my younger brother came along he'd mellowed. The difference between the two of us is striking. My brother's a great guy but when it comes to life accomplishments I'd win hands down.

Sorry if this is drifting from the original topic.

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
Too many people focus on the players getting that free education. That free education is absolutely wonderful and I really wish I would have had that when I was going to school. I was able to get a job though to help pay some bills. If I would have been training and practicing like the players were though, I would not have had time to work, train, and study.
Fact is he wasted his money. The players do receive some financial support and they receive Pell Grant money which is over $700 a month.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Usually these guys room together and take grant money and room money and have a LOT more spending money than I ever had when I was at Bama. The real story is to ask him where that money went. I'm sorry, but these guys have it made compared to what many students have, and they get treated like kings. I say take care of the money you get and learn to budget. As another poster said, I do admire that he didn't want to burden his mother, though.

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
I have to question why the media fails to report the facts instead of promoting the idea that these players receive no assistance? Facts are the athletic department work with the financial aid department to make certain the players apply for all grants available. They receive a stipend to pay for off campus living and eat free on campus. My ex fiance's family owned many of the properties just off the campus of USC west and I helped manage them. We only rented to USC students and many of them were athletes. I became good friends with several one of which was Balasz Kiss who won the gold medal in the Atlanta Olympic games in the hammer throw. None of these guys were broke.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Well, Mack says a lot that he knew struggled. I have to go with him, in lieu of knowing anyone else with more intimate knowledge of their situation.

OTOH, I am not sure why they don't have Pell Grants. To hear folks talk these days, "everyone" has one. Even kids who probably don't need one.

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
Well, Mack says a lot that he knew struggled. I have to go with him, in lieu of knowing anyone else with more intimate knowledge of their situation.

OTOH, I am not sure why they don't have Pell Grants. To hear folks talk these days, "everyone" has one. Even kids who probably don't need one.
There is no reason that they don't have Pell Grants....most qualify and they do get assistance on applying for grants.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
My dad thought of me as his "free work slave", literally
Same here! I remember he got drunk one time before I was old enough to drive legally and he punched a plate glass window that opened up his right wrist and he almost bled to death. Of course I had to work the next two weeks for free and had to shift gears for him in his truck. Kids these days would call DHR if they worked for free, back in our day there wasn't a choice......lol

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.